The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Just watching some of Gudbranson's clips on youtube and the fact he still has so much untapped potential with that cannon of a shot he has.. he's a beast!

but our team's depth at center is terrible... kesler or hank go down and who fills their spot? Schroeder? : S

We have a really good chance at getting shea weber next year which Gillis even hinted at in an interview and thats the only reason why Huberdeau is looking better as of right now

*** BUT, IF THAT RUMOUR RECENTLY IS TRUE, its going to be Gudbranson because why else would they ask for Tanev in return and why would Gillis give them Tanev if our rightside dmen are already lacking?

Your understanding of team economics is extremely poor. The fact that you list Philly is comical, do you think they will just write off the remaining 45 million dollars they've committed to Bryzgalov? Boston is in the same position as we are, with a young starter to take the reigns from the previous starter, why would they trade other valuable assets in that case. Tampa targeted Lindback for just under 2 million per year, not something they'd do if they want to bring in a 5 million dollar goalie.

Teams PLAN, especially when it comes to goaltending since you only carry two tenders on your roster. I'm sure it all works out perfect in your video games, but in reality, this type of player movement is far more likely, and logical, to happen in the offseason.

Guest Dasein

I'm stuck on which prospect I'd want from Florida..

Bjustad- Big center but just denied a contract offer and may go the UFA route like Schultz did, kinda scary to get him in a trade

Huberdeau- That skilled/playmaking center that would fill the gap at our center depth position

Gudbranson- Probably the next Shea Weber but bigger and meaner. But at the same time with bieksa, hamuis, garrison locked up,

and Either Edler or Weber being the 4th dman next year, where does he fit?

I'd probably go with Huberdeau just because our team lacks depth at the center position like Gillis stated numerous times since the season ended. Even though getting bigger/meaner with Gudbranson is very tempting..

There are reasons that big trades are happening in the offseason or at the deadline. Salary Cap and team planning. Teams plan how their cap will be for the year and adding another 5 million dollar cap hit isn't easy to do. Teams don't want to go into the season uncertain and thinking, "oh maybe we'll just add another 5 million to our cap"... If the deal isn't done before the season starts, the number of teams interested will drop drastically, and in turn, without competition for him, the value of the return drops as well.

You think you're a pro? I have a great understanding of the teams economics. Let me say it again, Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you don't know what that means, ask your parents.Those teams I listed off are going to have a lot of pressure if they start off slow and will find a way to make Luongo's contract work. If Bryzgalov sucks again next year, they may have no choice but to throw him in the minors and swallow that contract. Again desperate times call for desperate measures.Same as Toronto, if Burke's teams sucks and he's worried about losing his job, he might have to throw komisarek down in the minors or hope someone will pick him up. If a team or teams need Luongo, they'll find away to make it work.

Let's not start drawing Weber - Gudbranson comparisons, shall we? Aside from size and defensive ability, they are different players and probably will be in the future as well. Gudbranson simply doesn't have Weber's offensive skills. There are some scouts who think there may be a longshot chance he develops them later in his career, but he didn't even show an high-end offensive side to his game in junior.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love me some Gudbranson beating the snot out of people defensively, but he's no Shea Weber. Capital Period.

I have no idea if the Florida president flying to Vegas means anything. I don't know what meeting Luongo or discussing anything with him has anything to do with the trade negotiations.

To be honest, it is dragging on for a long time and while I am sad to see him go I wish it would just get done already.

Um ... If he's the next Shea Weber except bigger AND meaner ... then why are you asking where he fits? I would assume that he would fit right on the #1 pairing while we trade and make room for this talent to blossom.

We are looking to trade a franchise goaltender with HOF potentials who signed a 12 year deal with a NTC right now to move forward with a younger goaltender - I think trading Bieksa, Hamhuis or Garrison (even if they have NTCs) to move forward with a Norris calibre defenseman (if Gudbranson becomes a bigger and meaner version of Weber) would be a lot more easier decision to make and justify than the one we are making right now with Luongo.

Gudbranson is the primary target. Our center depth can be recovered through other trades or UFA acquisitions in the future - but a potentially bigger and meaner version of Shea Weber doesn't come around that often.

Let's not start drawing Weber - Gudbranson comparisons, shall we? Aside from size and defensive ability, they are different players and probably will be in the future as well. Gudbranson simply doesn't have Weber's offensive skills. There are some scouts who think there may be a longshot chance he develops them later in his career, but he didn't even show an high-end offensive side to his game in junior.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love me some Gudbranson beating the snot out of people defensively, but he's no Shea Weber. Capital Period.

Guest Dasein

Because he is 19 and hasn't proved anything in the nhl yet.

Especially with A.V's coaching habits of having young players earn their playing time, potentially you're going to have

hamhuis bieksa

edler garrison

____ gudbranson

So our d is going to be stacked but for the last 2 playoffs, we've really struggled to score and generate offense. So IMO Huberdeau would be the better option.

There are valid reasons for both but Florida is probably more willing to give up Gudbranson then Huberdeau, thus the rumour of us giving them Tanev in the deal

You think you're a pro? I have a great understanding of the teams economics. Let me say it again, Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you don't know what that means, ask your parents.Those teams I listed off are going to have a lot of pressure if they start off slow and will find a way to make Luongo's contract work. If Bryzgalov sucks again next year, they may have no choice but to throw him in the minors and swallow that contract. Again desperate times call for desperate measures.Same as Toronto, if Burke's teams sucks and he's worried about losing his job, he might have to throw komisarek down in the minors or hope someone will pick him up. If a team or teams need Luongo, they'll find away to make it work.

"BREAKING NEWS LUONGO HAS JUST BEEN TRADED TO FLORIDA FOR A 1ST ROUND PICK AND BRIAN CAMPBELL NO NEWS RELEASED ONLINE YET ONLY RADIO."

Ohhh those silly twitterers :emot-parrot:

Would be an interesting proposition but I don't see this.

btw, source not worth quoting, like I said, silly twitterers

No you really don't have even a rudimentary grasp of the economics of the NHL. Nor do you have a grasp on the simplest concepts such as supply and demand and market competition.

Why did Howson choose not to take any of the offers he got at the deadline? Because waiting for the off-season means more teams can come into play. More teams means more chance of the offers getting better. For example if NOW, in the off season, there are 6 teams showing interest in Luongo, after the season starts, the number of teams will fall drastically, probably down to 1 or 2. With no competition (with no other offers to get Luongo, the interested team does not have to make as good an offer) they know we don't want to sit on 9.3 million dollars of goaltending all year and would be more likely to take a lesser offer.

Your logic would result in less teams bidding to get Luongo, meaning a lower quality return for Luongo, and that doesn't make sense. The more potential buyers, the higher the return.

The most any team has buried in the minors has been around 12 million, and you think the Flyers owner will be ok with paying 45 million for Bryz to play for the Phantoms? Highly doubtful, as well as the fact that it is quite possible the new CBA will have provisions to stop teams from burying stupid signings in the minors...

"BREAKING NEWS LUONGO HAS JUST BEEN TRADED TO FLORIDA FOR A 1ST ROUND PICK AND BRIAN CAMPBELL NO NEWS RELEASED ONLINE YET ONLY RADIO."

Archived