The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

"BREAKING NEWS LUONGO HAS JUST BEEN TRADED TO FLORIDA FOR A 1ST ROUND PICK AND BRIAN CAMPBELL NO NEWS RELEASED ONLINE YET ONLY RADIO."

Ohhh those silly twitterers :emot-parrot:

Would be an interesting proposition but I don't see this.

btw, source not worth quoting, like I said, silly twitterers

Let's not start drawing Weber - Gudbranson comparisons, shall we? Aside from size and defensive ability, they are different players and probably will be in the future as well. Gudbranson simply doesn't have Weber's offensive skills. There are some scouts who think there may be a longshot chance he develops them later in his career, but he didn't even show an high-end offensive side to his game in junior.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love me some Gudbranson beating the snot out of people defensively, but he's no Shea Weber. Capital Period.

Curious: Panthers president has “important dinner” in Vegas while Roberto Luongo is in town

Joe Yerdon

Jul 8, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT

3 Comments

The trade rumors that continue to rumble between the Florida Panthers and Vancouver Canucks added a bit of curiosity today.

Florida Panthers team president Michael Yormark tweeted seemingly innocuously that he was on the road this week and had a “very important dinner” in Las Vegas set for Monday night. That seems all well and good, team presidents often have to do important business on the road.

yormark-vegas-tweet.jpg

Wait, Roberto Luongo is in Vegas at the World Series of Poker? Huh… How about that. It must be a happy coincidence that the president of the team interested in acquiring a player is going to the city where said player is holed up for another event.

I’m sure Canucks GM Mike Gillis, the same guy who had tampering charges filed against Leafs GM Brian Burke in 2009, won’t be keeping an eye on either Yormark’s Twitter account or @strombone1 to see if there’s any shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure if there's a serious chance of sending Luongo to the Panthers for decent return that MG would happily give permission to the team President to meet and discuss Florida future.

I'm not sure how much that would even be considered "tampering" as this isn't negotiating a contract with a player who's contract is about to expire, this is talking about the future of a player who is already known to be in play.

If that's the meeting, its closing a deal that's already on the table and in works. Not really tampering.

Would be different if Lu wasn't actively being shopped and the Canucks were keeping him and another team executive was trying to persuade him to request a trade!

Nobody has an issue with Luongo's 5.3 million cap hit, they have an issue with the length of the deal...

And it's best for you to not keep running around in circles because you're not getting anywhere.

To get the most in trade for an asset, you make the move when you have the highest number of interested parties that. That time is the off season. Unless your goal is to give away Luongo for practically nothing, then of course, your logic is perfect...

I can't explain things any simpler to you without drawing simple pictures and using 1 syllable words.

I'm pretty sure if there's a serious chance of sending Luongo to the Panthers for decent return that MG would happily give permission to the team President to meet and discuss Florida future.

I'm not sure how much that would even be considered "tampering" as this isn't negotiating a contract with a player who's contract is about to expire, this is talking about the future of a player who is already known to be in play.

If that's the meeting, its closing a deal that's already on the table and in works. Not really tampering.

Would be different if Lu wasn't actively being shopped and the Canucks were keeping him and another team executive was trying to persuade him to request a trade!

What if the team president started asking Luongo, "do you know if there are any other teams interested in you" or "are we the only team you want to play for"?I think that's tampering and I couldn't see the nhl allowing that to happen. It makes no sense.

What if the team president started asking Luongo, "do you know if there are any other teams interested in you" or "are we the only team you want to play for"?I think that's tampering and I couldn't see the nhl allowing that to happen. It makes no sense.

You think you're a pro? I have a great understanding of the teams economics. Let me say it again, Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you don't know what that means, ask your parents.Those teams I listed off are going to have a lot of pressure if they start off slow and will find a way to make Luongo's contract work. If Bryzgalov sucks again next year, they may have no choice but to throw him in the minors and swallow that contract. Again desperate times call for desperate measures.Same as Toronto, if Burke's teams sucks and he's worried about losing his job, he might have to throw komisarek down in the minors or hope someone will pick him up. If a team or teams need Luongo, they'll find away to make it work.

If the recent rumor is true Re Tanev going to Miami with Luongo Its gotta be Gudbranson coming this way. Tallon would want a good D prospect if he gives up Gudbranson.

I think it would be great if MG could pry Gudbranson away from Tallon. He's going to be a beast in a few short yeas.

Archived