The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

COULD? COULD? This trade WILL impact this team's future, veering it unquestionably into an entirely different direction altogether, hopefully not into a downward spiral. We're talking about trading the best athlete of any sport to ever play for Vancouver.

How could fans ever resist turning not a goalie but THE goalie to eventually bring a Cup. Whatever fan thinks Schneider will turn out to be better than Luongo is illusioned into hopeful Fantassy.

Gillis BETTER be patient, otherwise Schneider will look really ugly and then bolt to another city where the pressure of being a goalie will be less.

The Canucks did average 99 points in the 3 years prior to Luongo with 2 future Art Ross winners(MVP) in the Sedins and future Selke winner in Kesler about to hit their prime;as well as, Jack Adams winner to come with AV.

My sincere apologies. In future, I will attempt to only post opinions and observations that agree with your point of view.

Grow up!!! Youre post sounds like you're 10 yrs old and just learnt how to spell "hockey". If you want to cheerlead join a fan club not a discussion board!

As for my previous comments, they were addressed to a poster who said without Lu, the Sedins would be "exposed" and the team would be "mediocre". I pointed out that Lu was not the difference maker and played no more up to his potential than anyone else on the team.

... And you don't think Luongo had anything to do with that??? The key term here is "future". You post is skewed.

Luongo traded to the Canucks in 2006.

AV wins his Jack Adams in 06-07.

Sedins win their Art Ross in 09-10 and 10-11.

Kesler wins his Selke in 10-11.

Who knows, maybe they could all have won their hardware with LaBarbera in net...

Am I dreaming here or some of the fans' memory is short? AV was run out of town on a nightly basis with fans claiming it was Luongo that won the Jack Adams. The sisters are now top players in the league. Only Kesler is a true Selke and would have gotten it anywhere else he played; he's selfish enough for that. That's how good of a 3C he is; best in the game. To sat Lu is the reason is just your wet fantasy

Is there anything else you would like to talk about?

Who knows if Cory will pull a Lu and Sh*t the bed as you say. I think he is the better long-term choice for a team looking to get younger and remain competitive for the longer term.

Perhaps you'd care to share what the Sedins will be exposed as?

If the Nucks are a mediocre team because Lu leaves, they really never had much of a chance to win the cup and need a major rebuild anyways.

All were pretty equal factors. It was you who said "Not trying to take anything from anyone on the Canucks really. But Luongo is the reason the Canucks have been considered elite for the better part of six years."

Did it take 3 or 4 years of being around Lu's utter greatness to turn the Sedins and Kesler into stars? No, it was they needed experience, and to think that a team that averaged 99 points for 3 seasons before Lu would not be better when players like the Sedins and Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa and the FA signing of Hamhuis were going to improve this team is just wrong. To say any one player is the reason the Canucks are where they are today is a discredit to the team.

I now understand that you love to hate Luongo and cannot pass the opportunity to insult the best athlete to roll into town.

The Sedins are soft, offensive players who will have to play even more defensively than they have on a Luongo-less team thereby costing them points on a nightly basis and so they will never win hardware again.

The Canucks have had a chance to win big with Luongo on the team every year he's been here. Hell Toews was salivating at the thought of Luongo joining the Hawks; he cought himself right on time before he would be tampering with league rules regarding players on other teams, but the grin on his face said it all. He saw the Cup.

The Canucks are in fact an excellent team with Luongo on it. Even Schneider is better than he actually is due to the internal competition Luongo brings to the team. Take Luongo out of the equation and you will see the Canucks fall apart little by little.

It is always greener in someone else's yard. The Canucks have the greenest yard of them all.

All were pretty equal factors. It was you who said "Not trying to take anything from anyone on the Canucks really. But Luongo is the reason the Canucks have been considered elite for the better part of six years."

Did it take 3 or 4 years of being around Lu's utter greatness to turn the Sedins and Kesler into stars? No, it was they needed experience, and to think that a team that averaged 99 points for 3 seasons before Lu would not be better when players like the Sedins and Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa and the FA signing of Hamhuis were going to improve this team is just wrong. To say any one player is the reason the Canucks are where they are today is a discredit to the team.

My sincere apologies. In future, I will attempt to only post opinions and observations that agree with your point of view.

Grow up!!! Youre post sounds like you're 10 yrs old and just learnt how to spell "hockey". If you want to cheerlead join a fan club not a discussion board!

As for my previous comments, they were addressed to a poster who said without Lu, the Sedins would be "exposed" and the team would be "mediocre". I pointed out that Lu was not the difference maker and played no more up to his potential than anyone else on the team.

... And you don't think Luongo had anything to do with that??? The key term here is "future". You post is skewed.

Luongo traded to the Canucks in 2006.

AV wins his Jack Adams in 06-07.

Sedins win their Art Ross in 09-10 and 10-11.

Kesler wins his Selke in 10-11.

Who knows, maybe they could all have won their hardware with LaBarbera in net...

Am I dreaming here or some of the fans' memory is short? AV was run out of town on a nightly basis with fans claiming it was Luongo that won the Jack Adams. The sisters are now top players in the league. Only Kesler is a true Selke and would have gotten it anywhere else he played; he's selfish enough for that. That's how good of a 3C he is; best in the game.

Is there anything else you would like to talk about?

IMHO fans have very short memories. No doubt that Lou provided more than solid goaltending during his time in Van. The Twins in their own way have been top NHL performers. I could make a case for Burrows and Kesler as well.

I would point out the more than poor situation of the franchise 5 years ago. Even during the WCE years the single dimension of the Canuck play was glossed over and Cloutier used as a scape goat for lack of playoff success. The chronic weakness of the Van d-core was ignored along with the lack of defensive awareness exhibited by so called legends Naslund and Beertuzzi.

The difference today has a lot to do with free agency and a Canuck front office that is slowly building talent depth within the org. Someone suggested that there is no gurantee that Schneider doesn't crap out. That is true but Kesler might never be the player he was either. There are no gurantees. If Gillis moves Luongo it is to acquire parts of the total that will achieve CUP success. The odds are against Van winning a CUP just like they are for every other team in the NHL. His job is to improve the odds as much as possible and then it becomes the players responsibility to finish it.

My guess is that Gillis is positioning the Canucks to sign Weber and Lou's trade is part of it. He is gambling that Schneider is as good as appearances. Removing Lou's contract and acquiring assets that he might use on the team or use as part of a future deal for Weber makes sense. Weber would give Van the Norris defender that most CUP winners have to have. He is a better 'gamble' than an Edler who might have that potential but has not achieved it yet. Isn't this what it is all about and why we follow the game?

Igor Larionov? o man I am not touching that one. Doug Flutie, the CFl is like the AHL, a quasi football league. Bure now there is something a little better, but Luo actually played here and never bitched at the same level as Bure (The Russian Rocket was exciting, but he was a whiny bitch). Gold Medal Vezina Nom's and Stanley Cup Finals Appearance. Seems pretty fair to say he was one of the best players Vancouver has ever had. We all know the Sedins Rock, but honestly Doug Flutie? He played two seasons here and its the CFL.

Archived