The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

None of us knows that for sure. It's just as likely that Florida is very high on acquiring Lu, and that Gillis is just waiting until a different, or another specific player or pick, is added to the deal coming our way.

It's still almost three months until the Canucks play their first regular season game. These deals may take a lot of consideration by both sides, but a decision is made in a moment.

None of us knows that for sure. It's just as likely that Florida is very high on acquiring Lu, and that Gillis is just waiting until a different, or another specific player or pick, is added to the deal coming our way.

It's still almost three months until the Canucks play their first regular season game. These deals may take a lot of consideration by both sides, but a decision is made in a moment.

Of course none of us knows, but Deniro pointed out, and I agree, that certain factors beyond MG's control have conspired to diminish MG's negotiating position. This may make it necessary for MG to soften his position a little.

I'm not sying Lou is not worth anything. But MG has admitted himself that he has been the problem with respect to a deal not getting done. He has said that he wants a lot in return. All I was pointing out is that his expectations may be so high that no deal can get done, no matter how interested Florida, or anyone else for that matter, is. Again, just to make sure I'm not being vague, I don't think Lou isn't valuable and I don't think MG needs to get soaked in a Luongo deal. Just not as valuable as MG makes him out to be at this point in the game.

In several interviews around FA day MG said he doesn't expect mich to happen untill mid August. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the summer.

Luongo won't be traded away for nothing. MG will wait untill the trade deadline if he has to but he will get a good return. Luongo is not a cap dump. He has lots of value.

If Gillis can get any sort of significant return for Luongo after whats gone on, he deserves a gold medal.

Just look at all of the blunders that have gone on since the end of the season that has hurt this process.

From Lu hinting that he wanted a trade, to AV leaking it to the media that he had actually requested a trade, and even more recently to Luongo saying that he would prefer to go to Florida.

Sedins will be like...."Welcome to the big club..."

Daniel: "If you want to stick around with us...Here is your first drill Dave... Your time to shine!"

Then Henrik passes a towel to Dave and down he goes quietly with the dirty work.

henrik-sedin-2011-5-28-16-52-47.jpgdaniel-sedin.jpg

shoeshine_682_462657a.jpg <---Dave in Black & smiling

Imagine the return we could get for Lu at the trade deadline. An elite goaltender available for a team in position to make a push... jesus.

The trade deadline is all about sacrificing long term stability for short term gain, and if a team thought Luongo could put them over the top, then we could likely get any prospect we wanted.

I am not saying it will happen, but imagine the return.

We should have done this last trade deadline.

I'm not buyin all this value stuff..

I don't think anything that has been said is going to hurt our trading chances. We have a goalie and everything you are going to get (ability, age, cap hit, term) is all black and white. What u see is what you get. Trading for him is going to be quite the commitment however, so I can understand this taking some time. You also don't want to dismantle your team in the process so theres going to be some straight poker faces and lowballing. You know damn well komiserek and 1st ain't gonna get him but your an idiot if you don't try.

On our side we have no pressure to dump him in the offseason for a sh*tty package. We just won a second presidents trophy and we haven't lost much, Salo was old and we just replaced him with a garrison who is coming into his own. We're not in dire need of anything, we have a team that will still be competitive and most likely around the top of the league again this year. Sure there are improvements that can be made but were not in danger of not making the playoffs at all.

Basically my point is we're holding the cards here.. We have a good enough team to compete for the cup if everyone steps up their game in the playoffs. Improvements would be nice but not badly needed right this minute. So even if we go into the season with 10 million in goaltending, I feel we're sitting just fine. Both goalies are locked up and were not losing Schnieder.. Someone's gotta cave here and why would that be us? gillis said he's comfortable starting the season with both guys and looking at our team why wouldn't he be.. It's alot different than Burke saying he's comfortable with reimer/scrivens or Stevie saying he's pretty sure he's gonna snag an elite goalie outta nowhere

The whole torn locker room argument is rediculous. He's been a part of our core for 6yrs, these guys are all best friends and know more about this situation than any of us or any speculating insiders. I don't see any of them giving him the cold shoulder even Cory Schneider as he knows his time as a starter is coming very soon.

I don't see anyone caving and giving us everything we want but I bet a deal will be reached that finally makes sense for both clubs

Well lately I got the felling that the "Luonge trade" is strong connected to the "Doan signing"

If it is true that the canucks want Doan (and I believe so) and get him signed the requests in the Luongo trade by GMMG is depth and good prospects (and free salary for Doan).

If Doan is going somewhere else or staying in PHX than GMMG at least wants a Top-6 FW.

What do you guys think?

Well stated. At face value, Luongo would be a challenging asset to move. Unless it's part of a coordinated strategy between Luongo and Management, it feels like many of Luongo's comments have steered Gillis down a very narrow path. It reminds me of the scene in The Godfather where Santino runs his mouth off in front of Sollozzo. Sollozzo leaves, and then The Don turns to Luongo Santino and says, "What's the matter with you? Don't ever let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking."

Maybe fundamentally, Luongo doesn't, want to move. He did sign long term in Vancouver, assuming he'd be staying.

He got thrown under the bus by his own coach in favor of a rookie, but Hodgson was never given a rightful spot by Kesler's injury and Kassian will is a Lucic being turned into a Bernier. What AV pulled usually costs the coach's job promptly.

Luongo then only mentions Florida (home) and Chicago (biggest Canucks rival). To me it sounds as if it is by design he mentioned those teams so as to stay in Vancouver.

Move the kid for some offense and LU'll get you the Cup.

Move LU out and every year the Canucks chances to win a Cup let alone make the playoffs decrease.

LU ought to be heavily motivated to regain his rightful position against a rookie goalie. If so, the cheers will come back fast and all will be forgotten. He's only a few saves from doing so.

Except for the ever hating Vancouver media and its hateful listening fans who will concentrate on hating LU and demand Gillis' head because of an "atrocious" cap hit on goaltending wreason reality, such numbers are more than all of them combined will ever see in a lifetime and therefore do not understand to say the least.

I do realize that 90% of Vancouver fans are of the good kind. That 10% obnoxiously poor and narrow minded, self righteous loser kind is the problem we all face. They are loud, they want to destroy our team and they don't know how to handle adversity outside of firing, giving up as running someone out of town like an 1800's bar murder.

You know who you are.

Here's a couple things on Luongo from Elliotte Friedman's column:

Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.

The endgame for Luongo? If it doesn't happen with Florida, they'll ask him for more destinations. Eventually, he's going to have to play along, because he has "no-trade," not "no-move" protection. But, there's no real deadline now except for fan and media impatience.

Have to believe that, yes, Toronto's inquired about Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But there are doubts Burke is incredibly serious about him. Was he serious about Martin Brodeur? Yes. Is he more serious than he lets on about Luongo? Yes. Bernier doesn't really fit Toronto's stated criteria of a veteran in goal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/07/zach-parise-ran-the-show-30-thoughts.html

Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know. As you were.

Here's a couple things on Luongo from Elliotte Friedman's column:

Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.

The endgame for Luongo? If it doesn't happen with Florida, they'll ask him for more destinations. Eventually, he's going to have to play along, because he has "no-trade," not "no-move" protection. But, there's no real deadline now except for fan and media impatience.

Have to believe that, yes, Toronto's inquired about Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But there are doubts Burke is incredibly serious about him. Was he serious about Martin Brodeur? Yes. Is he more serious than he lets on about Luongo? Yes. Bernier doesn't really fit Toronto's stated criteria of a veteran in goal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/07/zach-parise-ran-the-show-30-thoughts.html

Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know. As you were.

Archived