The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Quite frankly I'm bummed right out over the Weber deal. I thought the big deal this summer would be a deal to bring him along with Doan. It is all going down in flames.

A little dissapointed in Weber. Also confused how Philly affords a contract with a CAP that might shrink to $52 M. I guess that isn't his problem and Philly looks pretty solid for a CUP run. I am sure that Gillis had to walk away and look for cheaper options. In the long run it probably is smarter to do that.

This puts more pressure on the Lou deal as Gillis will be looking for a premium d-man.

Quite frankly I'm bummed right out over the Weber deal. I thought the big deal this summer would be a deal to bring him along with Doan. It is all going down in flames.

A little dissapointed in Weber. Also confused how Philly affords a contract with a CAP that might shrink to $52 M. I guess that isn't his problem and Philly looks pretty solid for a CUP run. I am sure that Gillis had to walk away and look for cheaper options. In the long run it probably is smarter to do that.

This puts more pressure on the Lou deal as Gillis will be looking for a premium d-man.

I think Ellerby is the more realistic defenseman prospect that the Canucks could get out Florida and I am getting quite sick and tired of all the proposals involving Gudbranson. Luongo is a luxury not a necessity when it comes to the Panthers. They already have two veteran goalies who are capable of keeping them competitive and a solid prospect in Markstrom who should be ready in a few seasons. If Gillis is truly holding out for a player like Gudbranson then they might as well insert a lazy boy chair with a recliner and cup holder for Luongo behind the bench.

My only concern with trying to acquire a good defenseman prospect from Florida is that they would likely want a good young defenseman back, likely Tanev. My question is, is Ellerby an upgrade over Tanev? I don't know much about Ellerby other than he is big but still has to grow into his body and plays a shutdown role. Even though the Canucks would benefit having more size on the back end does Ellerby have a higher ceiling or are they about equal in value?

Archived