The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

The heat is getting to me. I was dreaming that Gillis would find a way to get Weber. If it was all about the money then another route seems more prudent. Having that Norris quality dman could make the dif with this Canuck group. Maybe Gillis is saving his bank account for Doan.

Yes. People are starting to make sense around here.

I don't know which has become more annoying: LU haters or Schneids lovers.

Either way, for Schneider's sake, I do agree that a 50/50 split could do wonders for Schneider. Only then ought we become confident, that Luongo could be traded and only by then would teams understand their situations regarding their own goaltending, thereby increasing Luongo and Schneider's values.

The Canucks have a 1C and the best 3C the game has to offer. What they need is a legitimate 2nd threat down the middle.

After seeing what Florida is NOT willing to part with, Toronto low ball deals look better and those aren't good enough to me either.

IF the theory of adding Garisson to the "best defense in the league" stands as fact,

IF the theory that Schneider is ready for prime time and/ or Luongo has asked for a trade and/ or has conceited to being moved, stands as fact,

IF the reason the Canucks did not win the Cup and have had a relative hard time in the playoffs due to a lack of scoring and not a lack of defense and/ or goaltending, stands as fact,

Then the only trade that makes sense for the Canucks is the acquisition of a legitimate 1C/ 2C to put the Canucks on par with L.A., San Jose and Pittsburgh.

VAN

Lecavalier

TBL

Luongo

--------------------

Sign Doan

Sign Turco

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - DOAN

BOOTH - LECAVALIER - KASSIAN

BURROWS - KESLER - HANSEN

HIGGINS- LAPIERRE - _________

BIEKSA - HAMHUIS

EDLER - GARRISSON

TANEV - __________

ALBERTS

SCHNEIDER

TURCO

Tradable extras:

Ballard

Raymond

Time to cut the fat.

This is what I was thinking too. A 50/50 split would also help Schneider in his transition in becoming a bona fide #1 goal tender. There may be a decent deal by February at the trade deadline when teams become more desperate to add that piece that will put them in contention for a playoff run.

The only problem is that if they dont trade Luongo by the trade deadline, it may be a distraction if he is the $5 Million backup come next years playoffs.

VAN

Lecavalier

TBL

Luongo

--------------------

Sign Doan

Sign Turco

BIEKSA - HAMHUIS

EDLER - GARRISSON

TANEV - __________

ALBERTS

SCHNEIDER

TURCO

Tradable extras:

Ballard

Raymond

Time to cut the fat.

I am just guessing but to keep Cory from going the offer-sheet route, I believe MG confirmed he would be the #1 guy going ahead, Lu had requested a trade and would be gone.

If so, a 50/50 split would not impress Cory who has shown incredible, patience, loyalty and character since being acquired by the Nucks.

Telling him he is going to get 41 games as as tarter this coming season when he played 33 as a backup last year, is not much of a reward for his signing here.

The Canucks have a 1C and the best 3C the game has to offer. What they need is a legitimate 2nd threat down the middle.

After seeing what Florida is NOT willing to part with, Toronto low ball deals look better and those aren't good enough to me either.

IF the theory of adding Garisson to the "best defense in the league" stands as fact,

IF the theory that Schneider is ready for prime time and/ or Luongo has asked for a trade and/ or has conceited to being moved, stands as fact,

IF the reason the Canucks did not win the Cup and have had a relative hard time in the playoffs due to a lack of scoring and not a lack of defense and/ or goaltending, stands as fact,

Then the only trade that makes sense for the Canucks is the acquisition of a legitimate 1C/ 2C to put the Canucks on par with L.A., San Jose and Pittsburgh.

VAN

Lecavalier

TBL

Luongo

--------------------

Sign Doan

Sign Turco

BIEKSA - HAMHUIS

EDLER - GARRISSON

TANEV - __________

ALBERTS

SCHNEIDER

TURCO

Tradable extras:

Ballard

Raymond

Time to cut the fat.

Not so sure looking at how some GMs are willing to break the bank before the new CBA kicks in. I think Cory would have got at least that on teh open market and would not have had to worry about playing behind Roberto. To me, a key to his signing was the knowledge that he would be #1 and not be playing 2nd fiddle or have to beat out Lu.

I personally don't care all that much that Weber won't be coming here.

I don't think he is enough of an upgrade over Edler to warrant the farm.

I am looking forward to seeing what Edler is capable of - imo, he has Norris potential himself

Unless a team was willing to take on huge risk by throwing a massive offer sheet at him Cory could either play with the Canucks, or not at all until after the new CBA has been established, or next season - whichever comes first. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the RFA situation. His resume has fewer than 80 NHL games on it so I doubt teams would be offering substantially more than the 4million he signed for.

I am just guessing but to keep Cory from going the offer-sheet route, I believe MG confirmed he would be the #1 guy going ahead, Lu had requested a trade and would be gone.

If so, a 50/50 split would not impress Cory who has shown incredible, patience, loyalty and character since being acquired by the Nucks.

Telling him he is going to get 41 games as as tarter this coming season when he played 33 as a backup last year, is not much of a reward for his signing here.

Gillis said at the draft that he expects the trades to occur at the end of the Summer. Gillis traded for Ehrhoff at the very end of August in 2009. Acquired Booth right at the beginning of the season for two old guys. He traded for SOB in right after training camp in 2008.

Gillis is a patient GM and he usually pulls the trigger when teams need to get their roster's set for the season.

A team acquiring Luongo is going to want to do it sooner than later. It's not easy for someone to acclimate themselves to a brand new system, especially goaltenders. It could throw them off for the entire season or at least the beginning and jeopardize their playoff chances.

Unless someone really steps up I think we're better to keep both. Lu and scneider can be rotated every game playoffs included

If need be. We just need to wait til a team really needs a starting goalie. Say what you want about Toronto needing luongo but Burke is right, Reimer and scrivens have both shown they can be adaquate when healthy. Toronto was primed to make the post season last year and their core is young. If JvR breaks out into an all star type player their team should be fine with decent goaltending. Same with Fla. Teams like Cbj, Anaheim, Washington, Chicago and Edmonton could all enter the mix by December if their starters struggle. If we add Doan our team is set for this year. I've never backed the goalie tandem as a good idea but if there's no good deal available then let someone else fail and let Cory and luongos value speak for themselves.

Not disagreeing with this. I just believe Cory is much more than a "money" player and could have got the same money elsewhere. He wil be happy if given the starting role he has earned and has been vocal about wanting. If he wasn't assured of the #1 spot, I believe he may have entertained Offer Sheets. Who knows which team may have wooed him over.

So tell me. What's the difference between Scnheider "being vocal" about wanting the 1G position, essentially going above Luongo's head and Hosgson "being vocal" about wanting Kesler's spot while Kesler was injured?

Hodgson was shipped out and Schneider gets the job?

Something is not working in all of this. Something smells really bad.

Archived