The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This is the definition of an unrealistic lowball offer from a position of weakness - a prospect that isn't panning out on a team that needs a veteran/legitimate starting goaltender for a franchise goaltender on an elite team that doesn't need to make a move to remain a contender - it doesn't work that way. Sorry Leafs.

I think a deal with the Leafs is already in place. Both GM's, especially MG, are very patient.

1, If Burke doesn't want Luongo at all, we would all know about it by now. He says he is comfortable with Reimer and Scrivens, only if he wants another high 1st round pick comes 2013. The haven't made the playoffs for 7 years or something. They need an elite and reliable starter. They can only get that with Luongo.

2, I believe we are getting Luke Schenn in return. Burke drafted Morgan Reilly. With the depth on D they have they had no need to spend their 5th overall on a defenceman. This may suggest they are parting ways with one of their young D's.

3, Out of 5 choices we only drafted 1 D, in the 5th round. Yes we have some depth on the D in our prospect pool but lets face it we do not have top end D prospects.

4, The reason why the trade has not been pulled yet is because Gillis wants to do some shopping first (Burke doesn't have any options if he wants to upgrade), which means the deal we are getting from Toronto isn't great. So don't be surprised to see Lu and Schenn straight up.

I think a deal with the Leafs is already in place. Both GM's, especially MG, are very patient.

1, If Burke doesn't want Luongo at all, we would all know about it by now. He says he is comfortable with Reimer and Scrivens, only if he wants another high 1st round pick comes 2013. The haven't made the playoffs for 7 years or something. They need an elite and reliable starter. They can only get that with Luongo.

2, I believe we are getting Luke Schenn in return. Burke drafted Morgan Reilly. With the depth on D they have they had no need to spend their 5th overall on a defenceman. This may suggest they are parting ways with one of their young D's.

3, Out of 5 choices we only drafted 1 D, in the 5th round. Yes we have some depth on the D in our prospect pool but lets face it we do not have top end D prospects.

4, The reason why the trade has not been pulled yet is because Gillis wants to do some shopping first (Burke doesn't have any options if he wants to upgrade), which means the deal we are getting from Toronto isn't great. So don't be surprised to see Lu and Schenn straight up.

Typical conversations between key players in the Luongo trade:

Burke to Gillis: "Dude, when can we get this deal done?? The media and Dave Nonis, who I secretly thinks has a lifelong man crush on Luongo, are driving me crazy!"

Gillis: "Sorry buddy, gotta sign Schneider first."

Schneider's agent to Schneider: "We should wait as long as we can before signing with the Canucks. If we wait til they trade Luongo, we can probably squeeze another half mil out of them. And then there are potential offer sheets. Some teams are willing to go as far as 4.5 mil for ya!"

Gillis to Schneider's agent: "We are prepared to offer 5 years, $17.5 million."

Schneider's agent's phone's automatic response to Gillis' calls from his cellphone: "Thank you for your call. I'm on vacation."

James Duthie to Gillis: "Any news with the Luongo trade?"

Gillis: "We are fielding more calls..."

Typical conversations between key players in the Luongo trade:

Burke to Gillis: "Dude, when can we get this deal done?? The media and Dave Nonis, who I secretly thinks has a lifelong man crush on Luongo, are driving me crazy!"

Gillis: "Sorry buddy, gotta sign Schneider first."

Schneider's agent to Schneider: "We should wait as long as we can before signing with the Canucks. If we wait til they trade Luongo, we can probably squeeze another half mil out of them. And then there are potential offer sheets. Some teams are willing to go as far as 4.5 mil for ya!"

Gillis to Schneider's agent: "We are prepared to offer 5 years, $17.5 million."

Schneider's agent's phone's automatic response to Gillis' calls from his cellphone: "Thank you for your call. I'm on vacation."

James Duthie to Gillis: "Any news with the Luongo trade?"

Gillis: "We are fielding more calls..."

People have to be open to the idea that Burke may be too stubborn to ever offer us good value.

If that's the case, then expect Luongo to be the starter again next season. Gillis will not give him away for nothing.

The market for goalies may be better at the deadline or next offseason.

Right handed players usually shoot left and play on the right side, this is because all the accuracy and "skill" comes from the hand holding the top of the stick to articulate it in certain ways. The power behind the stick isnt as justifiable as the control and accuracy.

It's true. Ever notice how many more left-shooters there are than right-shooters? (Obviously there are more right-handed people than lefties.)

I however, am an anomaly. I'm right handed but shoot right. Left feels wrong.

It's true. Ever notice how many more left-shooters there are than right-shooters? (Obviously there are more right-handed people than lefties.)

I however, am an anomaly. I'm right handed but shoot right. Left feels wrong.

Archived