The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

I have to also admit. If the oilers got luongo man that would be solid. They would be a really scary team and only in need of a couple defencemen. Their offense alone will be one of the best but if they get a goalie that can steal a few games watch out.

If Edm were to get Luo by some miracle, Edmonton would be a force in the league even having crappy defence but lets face it, Philadelphia had a run n gun potent offence with little care for defence and they made it alot farther than the canucks did. Edmonton could sit back and enjoy there offence and goalie while searching for better defence.

Cox: Maple Leafs could pry Roberto Luongo loose with offer for Cory Schneider

http://www.thestar.com/blogs/article/1216435--cox-maple-leafs-could-pry-roberto-luongo-loose-with-offer-for-cory-schneider?bn=1

Laffsville blowing more smoke - I commented on this in the Schenn/JVR thread so won't again here, but Laffers are souring the airwaves and trying to play "hardball" - tipping their hand.

Mark Spector, good read

http://www.sportsnet...o_luongo_trade/

PITTSBURGH -- Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis wore his $50-million goalie around the draft like an invisible sandwich board -- "Goalie For Trade" -- checked baggage that will await him upon his return at YVR. He is doing what he's paid to do, trying to create a market for his asset that will bear maximum return for the Vancouver Canucks, but with no success to date.

He lets on like there are multiple suitors for Luongo, and flatly states that he'd be happy to have Luongo back to tandem with Cory Schneider next season, if value can't be found for the 33-year-old.

"For us to even consider trading a player of that stature is an enormous thing," Gillis told us over the draft floor rail Saturday afternoon. "We're going to do it on our terms, if we're going to do it at all."

But ask other GMs about Luongo, and the reality of Gillis' situation becomes clear.

There are only a handful of teams looking for a No. 1 goalie; only a portion of them think Luongo is the answer; even less could handle Luongo's enormous contract under their cap; and only a percentage of those would be willing to take on a deal with a decade and more than $47 million left on it.

Do the math, and the final total reads 1: The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Leafs GM Brian Burke senses this, and wishes to acquire Luongo for far, far less than Gillis is asking. "Keep him then," Burke is likely thinking, and Gillis swears he would.

"Absolutely," he says, in a way that makes the question seems a bit foolish. "We know him well. He's an excellent person and teammate. I don't see an issue with that at all."

What you need to know about a GM is that he cannot convey a sense of vulnerability here. And we must say, good GMs somehow end up getting value in a situation like this, and Gillis is a good GM.

However, we've been around the game long enough to know that when a star player like Luongo -- or Columbus' Rick Nash -- asks to be traded, he has to be removed from the group as quickly as possible. This thing can drag out all summer without an issue, but the moment those dressing room doors open for business in September there needs to be harmony within.

Having Luongo in a room he has asked to be removed from, in a role he does not favour, in a media market that will exacerbate the tension, simply does not lay the foundation for a functional dressing room or a successful season.

Gillis knows this. Columbus GM Scott Howson knows this. But for now, both must publicly state that holding their superstar is an option.

They also know, however, that there are very few trades of any magnitude that occur after about July 15th. Howson admitted as much this weekend, stating that if he doesn't have Nash moved by mid-July the chances of having his disgruntled captain back inside the Blue Jackets room heighten greatly.

That may have been the case in the past, Gillis would allow, but "perhaps the landscape is changing, so (trades) are made after July 1 now," he said. "Teams have a more set idea of what they're going into next season with.

"There's a loft of complexity in making trades … and it's going to get more complex. It's hard to find partners to make trades. Also, there aren't many free agents this year. I think (trades) will come. I think they'll come later."

There are deadlines at both ends of the Luongo deal, which makes for a delicious stand-off between two GMs who, privately, are not big fans of each other.

We're told the money-losing Florida Panthers simply will not look at a contract as stout as Luongo's, and other teams in need have filled goaltending voids elsewhere. So Gillis runs the risk of losing Burke, and having no place to send Luongo.

Burke is saying publicly that Gillis' price is too high. Privately, he may believe he is Luongo's only suitor, and shouldn't have to part with much more than Mike Komisarek.

Still, Burke risks starting the season with the underwhelming tandem of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens. If the Maple Leafs start with a 4-8 record, Gillis will be in the driver's seat. If Luongo does go elsewhere, and goaltending does the Leafs in again, Burke's job could be on the line.

Gillis risks the unrest that Luongo would bring should he return to Vancouver. Maybe Luongo's agent speaks out and rocks the boat. Maybe Luongo, under daily pestering from the media, says something that brings strife to the Canucks room.

By our eye, Burke's risks are probable, but not certain. Gillis' risks are inevitable, and once the season starts, good luck moving a contract with the heft of Luongo's. History says it is unlikely.

Free agency is nigh on July 1, when cap space will disappear like snow in springtime.

It's a dangerous game that Gillis is playing. Howson too.

Burke is right to wait -- for now. But eventually, if he wants a franchise goalie, he should find a way to make this deal.

If the Maple Leafs rode Luongo to a playoff spot, no one would second-guess the price paid to acquire him.

I really do hope we end up trading with Florida and not Toronto. Regardless of potential return from either team, its just fun seeing Burke fail ( which I think he would with his current goaltending tandem).

He had arguably the best team in the league with the west coast express era Canucks but refused to get an elite goaltender, and is walking the same tight rope again just because he is stubborn. Hopefully he does ride it out with Reimer and Scrivens, and they miss the playoffs and it costs him his job, how sweet it would be.

...and Florida isn't playing games - if they were, they wouldn't have indicated that they intend to get serious about Luongo now that the draft is completed - the idea they can't afford Luongo is wishful thinking - they have only spent 40.5 million at this point.

and Toronto is already tipping their hand - Cox has published that Burke's colleagues have convinced him that he is putting the Leafs at a competitive disadvantage.

But really, how many times has Burke "not been done yet" LOL

The biggest talker of all talkers. Burke is a loudmouth who rarely backs it up.

Without Schenn, Toronto has no appealing pieces - I'd much rather we trade with Florida because 1) Florida has better prospects and assets 2) I don't want to see Luongo in a Leafs jersey 3) I don't want the Leafs to make the playoffs and see Burke get fired and see Toronto lament at how they wished they paid the premium price for Luongo

Leafs still have some assets that the Canucks could use. But it is really seems like the market for Luongo is closing fast, hopefully a deal will get done once Schnieder is signed. I don't want to see both goalies enter the year on the same team.

But really, how many times has Burke "not been done yet" LOL

The biggest talker of all talkers. Burke is a loudmouth who rarely backs it up.

Without Schenn, Toronto has no appealing pieces - I'd much rather we trade with Florida because 1) Florida has better prospects and assets 2) I don't want to see Luongo in a Leafs jersey 3) I don't want the Leafs to make the playoffs and see Burke get fired and see Toronto lament at how they wished they paid the premium price for Luongo

Archived