The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

I agree Campbell is better than most people think and it really hurt Chicago when they lost him, but his 7+ million conrtact is a bit much... And forget cap floors, Florida needs it to get them in the cap basement - they have only 33 million in cap spent aside from Campbell - 33 + Luongo and they'd be at 38ish...

I can't agree with the claim that Florida is rebuilding - they are pretty much rebuilt - they just lost in overtime of games 6 and 7 to the Eastern Conference champions - they have enough young prospects coming up to be a conceivable contender in the near future, and Luongo could help put them there.  They may be less willing to move veteran roster players than a few of there very numerous young assets.

Bjugstad and Petrovic are what I want.  They may be reluctant to move Bjugstad, but with Weiss, Goc, Matthias, Huberdeau, and Howden, they can afford to, and Luongo is worth two young prospects any day of the decade.

I could see us taking Theodore back - Luongo's cap hit would add 3.8 million - very manageable.

Roberto is not the one being lame here. He signed that contract not too long ago. He promised the Canucks the rest of his career and here we are chasing him out of town because we finally found a backup who can play?

He has every right to choose his next destination. He already chose Vancouver. He's the jilted party with the NTC.

We don't need to clear cap space to bring in a power forward. We'll have a tonne of room if the cap goes up to $70 million like its supposed to.

And this only helps IF Schneider is ready to be the #1. Let's just say he struggles this year, like most youngsters handed the reins to a team. What if that costs us 10 wins and a berth in the playoffs?

While there is no doubt most of us believe in our red-headed, golden boy, he is far from a proven #1.

We already have one of those: Luongo!

I think eventually Tallon will give us Bjugstad. MG has been saying all along he wants a big center with skill, so I'm sure him and Tallon will come to an agreement. He just wants another center then.

How about this:

To Florida: Luongo, Schroder

To Vancouver: Bjugstad, Upshall

?

The douches are neither Luongo nor Gillis. The douches are the people who put words in their mouths, and are speculating that no one would take him, or only one destination is possible - first Toronto, and now Florida, in an attempt to lower his market value for their homer teams - which by the way (media babble) doesn't effect his trade value.... I think the likelihood is that Roberto prefers Florida, and wants that option exhausted/executed first - and that is good for MG as well, because let's face it - everything points to that being the best possible outcome, and they have all the young assets and more that they need to get a deal done.

For sure Roberto is human and has his off days. Are we to think that any one of these pro athletes is completely infallible; made of iron?

Does the fact that the Canucks were incredibly injured, including 3 of our top 4 d-men, not have anything to do with the number of goals in those games?

What about Luongo's 2 shutouts in that series, are they not also indicative of his abilities?

Point being: Luongo has been consistently great throughout his career. He has the ability to win us the cup if we get back there.

He might have come up short in that SCF. Hasn't he grown as a players since then?

Archived