The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumors-june-27-2012/

Article updated: 6/26/2012 9:02 AM

Roberto Luongo to Blackhawks not happening

Article

Comments (0)

Photos (1)

The rumors that Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo could end up in Chicago are so far off the mark that they're worth a good laugh, says Daily Herald columnist Barry Rozner. Several online reports and endless Twitter postings gave the rumor plenty of legs Sunday night.

ASSOCIATED PRESS/2011 FILE

1 of 1

View other photograph collections

text size:AAAShareFacebookTwitter

Order reprint

Print

By Barry Rozner

Every once in awhile, there are rumors so absurd that they literally make you laugh out loud.

This happened Sunday night when my Twitter feed was filled with questions about the Blackhawks’ supposed interest in goalie Roberto Luongo.

ADVERTISEMENT

The response via email and Facebook was similar, and much was made of how concerned I would be if the Hawks dealt for the goofy goaltender.

So where to start …

First of all, I don’t dislike Luongo as I do so many Vancouver Canucks.

He’s just a sad case, a horribly overpaid netminder who performs horribly in the most important of situations.

He chokes when the pressure is at its worst, which is basically any time he’s expected to compete, especially in the playoffs.

Once a hero in Canada, he’s now a national joke.

So, you must ask yourself, why would the Hawks be interested in a guy who folds in the playoffs?

If the Hawks wanted to replace Corey Crawford — and at this point there’s no evidence to suggest they do — why would they replace Crawford with a guy who’s awful during the postseason and is six years older with twice the cap hit?

Now, if you said the Hawks were sniffing around soon-to-be-ex-Bruins goalie Tim Thomas, that would actually make some sense, because they’d be kicking the tires on a guy who has won a Stanley Cup and handles pressure as well as anyone ever has.

But Luongo? He crumbles at the mere thought of playoff hockey.

At the same time, Hawks fans would give him a free pass if he came to Chicago — until the first time he let in a bad goal, and then he would be booed as loud as he was when he was wearing a Canucks jersey.

Hawks fans would be cruel, unusual and merciless.

On top of that, Luongo has a no-movement clause and perhaps the last place on the planet he would want to play — this side of Boston — is the United Center, where he has been treated like the weak-minded goalie he is.

No, Chicago isn’t a good fit.

Then, there’s the ridiculous contract. Luongo is in the midst of a 12-year deal worth $64 million, which pays him $6.7 million annually through 2017-18 (with a cap hit of $5.33 million), before it drops in the final years.

If GM Stan Bowman wasted that much cap space on a goaltender who is certain to fall apart in the postseason, he should be immediately fired.

Whether or not you like Bowman, you can’t possibly think him this vapid.

So how did this rumor get started?

It would not be shocking if at some point during draft weekend that Bowman and Vancouver GM Mike Gillis had a conversation about the weather.

In the process, maybe Gillis jokingly said, “You want Luongo?”

And Bowman said, “Maybe if he waives his no-trade, if you pay his entire salary and we don’t have to give up a bag of pucks in return. And even then, probably not.”

Then, they went back to talking about the weather.

The Hawks know better than just about any team that Luongo wilts under the hot lights, and the heat in Chicago would be intense.

So rest assured there is absolutely no chance this will happen, and it’s more likely I would be handed a key to the city of Vancouver.

Yeah, as rumors go, this is one of the strangest I’ve ever heard.

But, hey, the laugh was well worth it.

brozner@dailyherald.com

• Listen to Barry Rozner from 9 a.m. to noon Sundays on the Score’s “Hit and Run” show at WSCR 670-AM, and follow him @BarryRozner on Twitter.

THIS ARTICLE FILED UNDER

SportsNHLBlackhawksRozner, BarryHockeyPro Sports

Article

Comments (0)

Photos (1)

The rumors that Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo could end up in Chicago are so far off the mark that they're worth a good laugh, says Daily Herald columnist Barry Rozner. Several online reports and endless Twitter postings gave the rumor plenty of legs Sunday night.

1 of 1

Order reprint

Print

By Barry Rozner

Every once in awhile, there are rumors so absurd that they literally make you laugh out loud.

This happened Sunday night when my Twitter feed was filled with questions about the Blackhawks’ supposed interest in goalie Roberto Luongo.

ADVERTISEMENT

The response via email and Facebook was similar, and much was made of how concerned I would be if the Hawks dealt for the goofy goaltender.

So where to start …

He’s just a sad case, a horribly overpaid netminder who performs horribly in the most important of situations.

He chokes when the pressure is at its worst, which is basically any time he’s expected to compete, especially in the playoffs.

So, you must ask yourself, why would the Hawks be interested in a guy who folds in the playoffs?

If the Hawks wanted to replace Corey Crawford — and at this point there’s no evidence to suggest they do — why would they replace Crawford with a guy who’s awful during the postseason and is six years older with twice the cap hit?

Now, if you said the Hawks were sniffing around soon-to-be-ex-Bruins goalie Tim Thomas, that would actually make some sense, because they’d be kicking the tires on a guy who has won a Stanley Cup and handles pressure as well as anyone ever has.

At the same time, Hawks fans would give him a free pass if he came to Chicago — until the first time he let in a bad goal, and then he would be booed as loud as he was when he was wearing a Canucks jersey.

On top of that, Luongo has a no-movement clause and perhaps the last place on the planet he would want to play — this side of Boston — is the United Center, where he has been treated like the weak-minded goalie he is.

Then, there’s the ridiculous contract. Luongo is in the midst of a 12-year deal worth $64 million, which pays him $6.7 million annually through 2017-18 (with a cap hit of $5.33 million), before it drops in the final years.

If GM Stan Bowman wasted that much cap space on a goaltender who is certain to fall apart in the postseason, he should be immediately fired.

It would not be shocking if at some point during draft weekend that Bowman and Vancouver GM Mike Gillis had a conversation about the weather.

And Bowman said, “Maybe if he waives his no-trade, if you pay his entire salary and we don’t have to give up a bag of pucks in return. And even then, probably not.”

The Hawks know better than just about any team that Luongo wilts under the hot lights, and the heat in Chicago would be intense.

So rest assured there is absolutely no chance this will happen, and it’s more likely I would be handed a key to the city of Vancouver.

brozner@dailyherald.com

• Listen to Barry Rozner from 9 a.m. to noon Sundays on the Score’s “Hit and Run” show at WSCR 670-AM, and follow him @BarryRozner on Twitter.

THIS ARTICLE FILED UNDER

Article

Comments (0)

Photos (1)

1 of 1

Order reprint

Print

By Barry Rozner

ADVERTISEMENT

So where to start …

brozner@dailyherald.com

THIS ARTICLE FILED UNDER

^

Chicago's Jack Edwards?

something from the actual Mark Spector:

"Dear Canucks fan,

From the sounds emanating from inside Rogers Arena of late, we were wondering: When did you give birth? We hadn't even known of your pregnancy, but yet we keep hearing the sounds of crying babies.

Please excuse our inattentiveness to your ever-growing needs. We'll start shopping for a gift immediately.

What's that? The baby needs a new goaltender?

Well, sure ... But we thought you already had a Canadian Olympic team starter, complete with the Vezina and Jennings dress-up bundle. Can't we just send along the camper? Or the puppy waterpark set?

Oh, that's not good enough for the Vancouver baby? They want more than that? We see.

Well, maybe Senators fan can look around his place and find a superior goaltender to send out as a shower gift. Let's see ... Craig Anderson ... Nope. Alex Auld ... Woah - definite nope there.

No, nothing here even resembles your 'B' goalie. You know, the Cory Schneider one that comes with the G.I. Joe haircut.

Maybe Jets fan can help. He'll start searching for the perfect goalie for Canucks fans, right after he finds HIS SECOND WIN OF THE SEASON. Leafs fan can courier out The Monster - but he's proven to be even scarier than his name would suggest. Definitely not appropriate for a baby the likes of the one in Vancouver.

Oilers fan? You haven't even made the playoff in five years. Can you spare some empathy for those poor souls in Vancouver, who have been forced to soldier on with only Roberto Luongo in their goal, the poor kids?

Well, Canucks fan, it looks like this may take more effort than we'd thought. We'll continue to scour the country in search of the perfect cherry to rest atop that championship-calibre sundae you have in Vancouver, and we won't rest for a moment until YOU are happy.

And we'll hurry up. Because, of course, we wouldn't want you to get impatient and trash your downtown core or anything.

In the meantime, buy a soother. The whining and crying is killing us out here.

Signed,

The rest of the country."

---

I can't believe people are suggesting Campbell.. his contract is gomez bad. Luongo addresses Floridas goaltending issue, but the nucks are overloaded on D! I was just getting excited at the prospect of ballard getting a shot (finally)... Campbell is a poor mans ehrhoff with the same ridiculous price tag. If the canucks wanted to overpay an offensive D, 'hoff would still be in a canucks jersey

^

Chicago's Jack Edwards?

something from the actual Mark Spector:

"Dear Canucks fan,

From the sounds emanating from inside Rogers Arena of late, we were wondering: When did you give birth? We hadn't even known of your pregnancy, but yet we keep hearing the sounds of crying babies.

Please excuse our inattentiveness to your ever-growing needs. We'll start shopping for a gift immediately.

What's that? The baby needs a new goaltender?

Well, sure ... But we thought you already had a Canadian Olympic team starter, complete with the Vezina and Jennings dress-up bundle. Can't we just send along the camper? Or the puppy waterpark set?

Oh, that's not good enough for the Vancouver baby? They want more than that? We see.

Well, maybe Senators fan can look around his place and find a superior goaltender to send out as a shower gift. Let's see ... Craig Anderson ... Nope. Alex Auld ... Woah - definite nope there.

No, nothing here even resembles your 'B' goalie. You know, the Cory Schneider one that comes with the G.I. Joe haircut.

Maybe Jets fan can help. He'll start searching for the perfect goalie for Canucks fans, right after he finds HIS SECOND WIN OF THE SEASON. Leafs fan can courier out The Monster - but he's proven to be even scarier than his name would suggest. Definitely not appropriate for a baby the likes of the one in Vancouver.

Oilers fan? You haven't even made the playoff in five years. Can you spare some empathy for those poor souls in Vancouver, who have been forced to soldier on with only Roberto Luongo in their goal, the poor kids?

Well, Canucks fan, it looks like this may take more effort than we'd thought. We'll continue to scour the country in search of the perfect cherry to rest atop that championship-calibre sundae you have in Vancouver, and we won't rest for a moment until YOU are happy.

And we'll hurry up. Because, of course, we wouldn't want you to get impatient and trash your downtown core or anything.

In the meantime, buy a soother. The whining and crying is killing us out here.

Signed,

The rest of the country."

---

Archived