The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

You may expect Luongo to go for a Subaru, but Tallon will not expect to get Luongo for a second rate prospect or depth roster player.

Jovo = Luongo is an elite goaltender. Elite prospect is a perfectly reasonable return.

Florida will part with one of their top 5 prospects - and they will part with another 2nd tier as well.

Bjugstad and Petrovic. Theodore also makes sense as part of the deal.

Brodeur muddies the water somewhat but I still think Florida will go with LU.

Lu wants to be in Florida and at his age, is a longer term solution for Florida's next 5-7 yrs. Marty wants to take another charge at a cup but really isn't a good choice for a team looking to solidify it's goalie situation, longer term.

Burke may go after Marty but after playing behind the NJD's defensive system, Marty would fell like a duck in a shooting gallery playing for the leafs and at his age, get burned out before Christmas.

Lu (had he agreed to go to TO) would have been the solution to BB's goalie woes but not unexpectedly, he played loud-mouth, know-it-all and allowed his ego to get in teh way. THere is no way that deal was going down unless BB could crow about how he fleeced MG.

I think a Lu for Bjugstad deal, straight up is the likliest scenario. Tallon knows that He will have to give up a prospect, and Bjugstad is behind Huberdeau on the ladder down the middle. It doesn't cost him a roster player and he gets a good golaie in the deal........he's just trying to squeeze MG a bit. If anything, Mg adds a pick or mid-level prospect nd brings Theodore back

You may expect Luongo to go for a Subaru, but Tallon will not expect to get Luongo for a second rate prospect or depth roster player.

Jovo = Luongo is an elite goaltender. Elite prospect is a perfectly reasonable return.

Florida will part with one of their top 5 prospects - and they will part with another 2nd tier as well.

Bjugstad and Petrovic. Theodore also makes sense as part of the deal.

It's quite possible that the Schneider deal increases the likelyhood that Gillis hangs on to Luongo into the season and looks for a deal then, when more teams might be in need of goaltending. I mean, who knows, but it's a possibility.

A lot of people are saying Schneider's deal might expidite a Luongo trade, but it could work the other way around as well. Aside from the cap implications, MG doesn't really have too much pressure to make a deal right at this moment.

The way I see it the Canucks need:

- A centre that can slot to the wing when Kesler returns from injury.

- A right handed defenseman to fill the offensive void left by Ehrhoff

- Promising young prospects to deepen our pool

- Finally, a couple draft picks can never hurt.

I would assume Mike Gillis opens the conversation with any team interested in Luongo by citing what he is looking for. The team that is best able to satisfy three of these four necessities will get Luongo.

Florida is the best option here. I can see us grabbing a prospect and a roster player from them no problem. It was reported last night that Florida counter offered Vancouver, indicating that they are in fact interested.

Archived