Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#3811 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

COULD? COULD? This trade WILL impact this team's future, veering it unquestionably into an entirely different direction altogether, hopefully not into a downward spiral. We're talking about trading the best athlete of any sport to ever play for Vancouver.

How could fans ever resist turning not a goalie but THE goalie to eventually bring a Cup. Whatever fan thinks Schneider will turn out to be better than Luongo is illusioned into hopeful Fantassy.

Gillis BETTER be patient, otherwise Schneider will look really ugly and then bolt to another city where the pressure of being a goalie will be less.

Pavel Bure, Doug Flutie, Igor Larionov, Sedins... just off the top of my head. The best athlete ever to play for Vancouver? You're joking, right?

#3812 Onside

Onside

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Wow. 128 pages.

Someone call me when it's over... going to the beach...

#3813 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I've never heard anyone call us that.

Most media outlet did until Luongo signed long term.

Posted Image

#3814 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Lol @NotBobbyLou just tweeted this.

@nhlfanchat: LATEST LOUNGO RUMOR! @MapleLeafs have a deal in place sending 1st or 2nd rd pick, Komisarek, Kulimen to @VanCanucks cud happen soon @NHL #FF

That doesn't sound far off.

Apparently Burke's first offer was Schenn 1st and 2nd for Luongo. Changing it to Komisarek, Kulimen 1st and 2nd sounds like a Brian Burke type of offer. Lowball offering us, bottom6 defencemens, (we have them already nothing unique about Komiserek) Kulimen, Kulimen is a type of player we don't actually need, not that I am saying he useless, but not in a LUongo type of trade. Go away Burke. Insult of an offer.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#3815 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

The Canucks did average 99 points in the 3 years prior to Luongo with 2 future Art Ross winners(MVP) in the Sedins and future Selke winner in Kesler about to hit their prime;as well as, Jack Adams winner to come with AV.

... And you don't think Luongo had anything to do with that??? The key term here is "future". You post is skewed.

Luongo traded to the Canucks in 2006.
AV wins his Jack Adams in 06-07.
Sedins win their Art Ross in 09-10 and 10-11.
Kesler wins his Selke in 10-11.

Who knows, maybe they could all have won their hardware with LaBarbera in net...

Am I dreaming here or some of the fans' memory is short? AV was run out of town on a nightly basis with fans claiming it was Luongo that won the Jack Adams. The sisters are now top players in the league. Only Kesler is a true Selke and would have gotten it anywhere else he played; he's selfish enough for that. That's how good of a 3C he is; best in the game.

Is there anything else you would like to talk about?

Edited by GHL, 13 July 2012 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image

#3816 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

My sincere apologies. In future, I will attempt to only post opinions and observations that agree with your point of view.

Grow up!!! Youre post sounds like you're 10 yrs old and just learnt how to spell "hockey". If you want to cheerlead join a fan club not a discussion board!

As for my previous comments, they were addressed to a poster who said without Lu, the Sedins would be "exposed" and the team would be "mediocre". I pointed out that Lu was not the difference maker and played no more up to his potential than anyone else on the team.

The poster whom you answered this mocking post to is in fact right. The team left Luongo to fend for himself in the face of total adversity; a Boston team so pissed won the Cup.

Fact is, the Boston fans and media were 100% behind their team while Vancouver fans and media were busy destroying and nitpicking the Canucks into oblivion. Some of the worst media in North America has been assembled in Vancouver and the sheep just keep repeating what they hear and it ends up on CBC.

Thanks to "fans" like you, I will not see my Vancouver Canucks win the Cup.

Edited by GHL, 13 July 2012 - 07:48 AM.

Posted Image

#3817 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Pavel Bure, Doug Flutie, Igor Larionov, Sedins... just off the top of my head. The best athlete ever to play for Vancouver? You're joking, right?

Igor Larionov? o man I am not touching that one. Doug Flutie, the CFl is like the AHL, a quasi football league. Bure now there is something a little better, but Luo actually played here and never bitched at the same level as Bure (The Russian Rocket was exciting, but he was a whiny bitch). Gold Medal Vezina Nom's and Stanley Cup Finals Appearance. Seems pretty fair to say he was one of the best players Vancouver has ever had. We all know the Sedins Rock, but honestly Doug Flutie? He played two seasons here and its the CFL.

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 13 July 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#3818 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

... And you don't think Luongo had anything to do with that??? The key term here is "future". You post is skewed.

Who knows, maybe they could all have won their hardware with LaBarbera in net...

Am I dreaming here or some of the fans' memory is short? AV was run out of town on a nightly basis with fans claiming it was Luongo that won the Jack Adams. The sisters are now top players in the league. Only Kesler is a true Selke and would have gotten it anywhere else he played; he's selfish enough for that. That's how good of a 3C he is; best in the game. To sat Lu is the reason is just your wet fantasy

All were pretty equal factors. It was you who said "Not trying to take anything from anyone on the Canucks really. But Luongo is the reason the Canucks have been considered elite for the better part of six years."
Did it take 3 or 4 years of being around Lu's utter greatness to turn the Sedins and Kesler into stars? No, it was they needed experience, and to think that a team that averaged 99 points for 3 seasons before Lu would not be better when players like the Sedins and Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa and the FA signing of Hamhuis were going to improve this team is just wrong. To say any one player is the reason the Canucks are where they are today is a discredit to the team.

#3819 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Who knows if Cory will pull a Lu and Sh*t the bed as you say. I think he is the better long-term choice for a team looking to get younger and remain competitive for the longer term.

Perhaps you'd care to share what the Sedins will be exposed as?

If the Nucks are a mediocre team because Lu leaves, they really never had much of a chance to win the cup and need a major rebuild anyways.

I now understand that you love to hate Luongo and cannot pass the opportunity to insult the best athlete to roll into town.

The Sedins are soft, offensive players who will have to play even more defensively than they have on a Luongo-less team thereby costing them points on a nightly basis and so they will never win hardware again.

The Canucks have had a chance to win big with Luongo on the team every year he's been here. Hell Toews was salivating at the thought of Luongo joining the Hawks; he cought himself right on time before he would be tampering with league rules regarding players on other teams, but the grin on his face said it all. He saw the Cup.

The Canucks are in fact an excellent team with Luongo on it. Even Schneider is better than he actually is due to the internal competition Luongo brings to the team. Take Luongo out of the equation and you will see the Canucks fall apart little by little.

It is always greener in someone else's yard. The Canucks have the greenest yard of them all.

Edited by GHL, 13 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Posted Image

#3820 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

All were pretty equal factors. It was you who said "Not trying to take anything from anyone on the Canucks really. But Luongo is the reason the Canucks have been considered elite for the better part of six years."
Did it take 3 or 4 years of being around Lu's utter greatness to turn the Sedins and Kesler into stars? No, it was they needed experience, and to think that a team that averaged 99 points for 3 seasons before Lu would not be better when players like the Sedins and Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa and the FA signing of Hamhuis were going to improve this team is just wrong. To say any one player is the reason the Canucks are where they are today is a discredit to the team.

Again. The Canucks are a great team. With Luongo, they are elite.

Posted Image

#3821 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I now understand that you love to hate Luongo and cannot pass the opportunity to insult the best athlete to roll into town.

The Sedins are soft, offensive players who will have to play even more defensively than they have on a Luongo-less team thereby costing them points on a nightly basis and so they will never win hardware again.

The Canucks have had a chance to win big with Luongo on the team every year he's been here. Hell Toews was salivating at the thought of Luongo joining the Hawks; he cought himself right on time before he would be tampering with league rules regarding players on other teams, but the grin on his face said it all. He saw the Cup.

The Canucks are in fact an excellent team with Luongo on it. Even Schneider is better than he actually is due to the internal competition Luongo brings to the team. Take Luongo out of the equation and you will see the Canucks fall apart little by little.

It is always greener in someone else's yard. The Canucks have the greenest yard of them all.

Glad you took that "sisters" comment out, Neil. You don't realize how silly that made you sound.

#3822 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

You're right but you're wasting your breath on GHL. He isn't a Nucks fan, he's a Lu fan. In his mind Lu made this team; the Sedins are garbage; he hopes Cory sh*ts the bed; the team is mediocre without Lu etc.

If you disagree with him, you don't understand hockey and are not a true Nucks fan.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 13 July 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#3823 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

My sincere apologies. In future, I will attempt to only post opinions and observations that agree with your point of view.

Grow up!!! Youre post sounds like you're 10 yrs old and just learnt how to spell "hockey". If you want to cheerlead join a fan club not a discussion board!

As for my previous comments, they were addressed to a poster who said without Lu, the Sedins would be "exposed" and the team would be "mediocre". I pointed out that Lu was not the difference maker and played no more up to his potential than anyone else on the team.

IMHO fans have very short memories. No doubt that Lou provided more than solid goaltending during his time in Van. The Twins in their own way have been top NHL performers. I could make a case for Burrows and Kesler as well.

I would point out the more than poor situation of the franchise 5 years ago. Even during the WCE years the single dimension of the Canuck play was glossed over and Cloutier used as a scape goat for lack of playoff success. The chronic weakness of the Van d-core was ignored along with the lack of defensive awareness exhibited by so called legends Naslund and Beertuzzi.

The difference today has a lot to do with free agency and a Canuck front office that is slowly building talent depth within the org. Someone suggested that there is no gurantee that Schneider doesn't crap out. That is true but Kesler might never be the player he was either. There are no gurantees. If Gillis moves Luongo it is to acquire parts of the total that will achieve CUP success. The odds are against Van winning a CUP just like they are for every other team in the NHL. His job is to improve the odds as much as possible and then it becomes the players responsibility to finish it.

My guess is that Gillis is positioning the Canucks to sign Weber and Lou's trade is part of it. He is gambling that Schneider is as good as appearances. Removing Lou's contract and acquiring assets that he might use on the team or use as part of a future deal for Weber makes sense. Weber would give Van the Norris defender that most CUP winners have to have. He is a better 'gamble' than an Edler who might have that potential but has not achieved it yet. Isn't this what it is all about and why we follow the game?

#3824 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Am I dreaming here or some of the fans' memory is short? AV was run out of town on a nightly basis with fans claiming it was Luongo that won the Jack Adams. The sisters are now top players in the league. Only Kesler is a true Selke and would have gotten it anywhere else he played; he's selfish enough for that. That's how good of a 3C he is; best in the game.

That was all before Luongo went down w/ his groin injury. He's never been quite the same since. Don't get me wrong he's still an elite goalie, but we've now got a better option in a younger goalie, who is very good, and cheaper, w/o a huge anchor of a contract (term only). Now I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider does falter a bit in his first full-time year as starter, and that's why we need a veteran backup. Going forward though, he looks like he'll be an elite goaltender. He has great positioning, cool poise, seems very strong mentally, moves quicker laterally, and is able to recover quicker to a standing position after going into the butterfly. Former NHL goalies, coaches, and scouts all believe he's got all the makings to be a star in this league, so I'll trust their opinion over the naysayers on CDC who seem to think Cory is going to fail for some reason. The decision has been made, Luongo is on his way out, so get over it, and get behind our new starter.

#3825 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Having 9.3m invested in goaltending makes the Canucks a better team?

Personally I don't think it is good management to have one of the best and most highly paid players on the team sitting on the bench at all times, whether that is Luongo or Schneider.

In a cap world, having two goalies of that caliber and price is a luxury the Canucks cannot afford when other areas of the roster need improvement.

The bolded statement is your opinion which you are presenting as fact. We have yet to see how Schneider plays without Luongo on the team so it is impossible to know how he will perform under those circumstances until next season or whenever Luongo is traded.

When faced with the decision of choosing between two players of near equal skill level, one who is entering his prime and the other who is near the end of his, the decision should be easy unless you do not have an objective point of view.

Edited by JustJokinen!, 13 July 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#3826 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

IMHO fans have very short memories. No doubt that Lou provided more than solid goaltending during his time in Van. The Twins in their own way have been top NHL performers. I could make a case for Burrows and Kesler as well.

I would point out the more than poor situation of the franchise 5 years ago. Even during the WCE years the single dimension of the Canuck play was glossed over and Cloutier used as a scape goat for lack of playoff success. The chronic weakness of the Van d-core was ignored along with the lack of defensive awareness exhibited by so called legends Naslund and Beertuzzi.

The difference today has a lot to do with free agency and a Canuck front office that is slowly building talent depth within the org. Someone suggested that there is no gurantee that Schneider doesn't crap out. That is true but Kesler might never be the player he was either. There are no gurantees. If Gillis moves Luongo it is to acquire parts of the total that will achieve CUP success. The odds are against Van winning a CUP just like they are for every other team in the NHL. His job is to improve the odds as much as possible and then it becomes the players responsibility to finish it.

My guess is that Gillis is positioning the Canucks to sign Weber and Lou's trade is part of it. He is gambling that Schneider is as good as appearances. Removing Lou's contract and acquiring assets that he might use on the team or use as part of a future deal for Weber makes sense. Weber would give Van the Norris defender that most CUP winners have to have. He is a better 'gamble' than an Edler who might have that potential but has not achieved it yet. Isn't this what it is all about and why we follow the game?

Fantastic post Boudrias. Gillis is transforming this franchise into one that should be a contender every year, looking to the future as well as the short-term. I can't believe how many people are calling him out now, It takes more than one season for a GM to build his team. He was GM of the year, as voted by his peers, professionals in the business, yet all these armchair GMs know better than him. Calling him out, and asking for his head, if he hasn't signed some over-priced free agent within an hour of the start of free agency.

#3827 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Dumping Ballard has become a popular idea on CDC, so people say it any chance they get, even if it;s unecessary...

I would hardly call it popular. If you made a thread with a poll asking what to do with him I guarantee the majority of CDC homers would want to give him more ice time. I don't make these comments to blindly follow other members. Waiving Ballard is logical. What don't people get about clearing cap space. Just cause we don't directy acquire anything for him doesn't mean we can't get other assets for free.

In regards to my comment I didn't get a chance to run numbers on trading lu for Gudbranson and signing Doan or Semin and waiving Ballard. Maybe we wouldn't have to clear 4.2 in cap. But of your asking if I'd rater have Semin at 1 year 8-9 mill or Ballard playing 7th depth dman at 4.2 then I'll take the overpaid Russian any time.
Posted Image

#3828 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Igor Larionov? o man I am not touching that one. Doug Flutie, the CFl is like the AHL, a quasi football league. Bure now there is something a little better, but Luo actually played here and never bitched at the same level as Bure (The Russian Rocket was exciting, but he was a whiny bitch). Gold Medal Vezina Nom's and Stanley Cup Finals Appearance. Seems pretty fair to say he was one of the best players Vancouver has ever had. We all know the Sedins Rock, but honestly Doug Flutie? He played two seasons here and its the CFL.

Doug Flutie played in the NFL as well for 12 season, and at 5'10", one of the shortest NFL QBs ever. The only non-Canadian to be in the Canadian sports hall of fame, he's in the CFL hall of fame, he won the Heisman. The guy is a legend, and save for Bure, the best athelte to play in Vancouver.

#3829 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

You're right but you're wasting your breath on GHL. He isn't a Nucks fan, he's a Lu fan. In his mind Lu made this team; the Sedins are garbage; he hopes Cory sh*ts the bed; the team is mediocre without Lu etc.

If you disagree with him, you don't understand hockey and are not a true Nucks fan.

I'm a die hard Nucks fan. I'm a Lu fan because he's a Vancouver Canucks and he's the best player we've got. If and when he's off the team, he's in enemy territory. In my mind, Lu made this team.

If you tap into your memory and that is, as a Canucks fan, you should remember longer than two years, you will see that most were saying it was team Luongo; that AV won because of Luongo and so on. You will also remember how mediocre and middle of the pack the Canucks were having paraded the likes of Auld, Cloutier, Ouellet, Noronen and McVicar in 2005 alone. Prior to that, and after McLean, the Canucks saw Cloutier, Auld, Hedberg, Skruda, Moss, Brochu, Essensa, Potvin, Snow, Weekes, Schwab, Michaud, Hirsh, Irbe and Burke.

The Sedins are not garbage. But they are defenseless. When a 23 year old with half the size of Daniel, repetedly punches him in the face on National TV without any retaliation, it doesn't look stoic; it looks soft. That's because the Sedins are soft players. Henrik might be durable healthwise, but there is not one mean bone in him and neither in Daniel. They are in fact Art Ross winners so they accumulate points; regular season points don't win Cups.

I certainly hope Schneider betters Luongo's numbers, athleticism and poise and does bring a Cup to Vancouver as well as win a few Vezinas. But the odds are against him doing so.

You can disagree all you want and you have the right to your own opinion. I for one believe that any team with Luongo on it is immensely better. In fact, I believe he is the key to a dynasty in Chicago; they have a better all around team but find themselves without a goaltender. I sure hope Luongo doesn't end up there because we'll have to hear you cry over and over again how the World is so unfair and that Gillis guy is an evil doer. Then again, YOU migh become a Chicago fan you bandwagon jumper.

Posted Image

#3830 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm a die hard Nucks fan. I'm a Lu fan because he's a Vancouver Canucks and he's the best player we've got. If and when he's off the team, he's in enemy territory. In my mind, Lu made this team.

If you tap into your memory and that is, as a Canucks fan, you should remember longer than two years, you will see that most were saying it was team Luongo; that AV won because of Luongo and so on. You will also remember how mediocre and middle of the pack the Canucks were having paraded the likes of Auld, Cloutier, Ouellet, Noronen and McVicar in 2005 alone. Prior to that, and after McLean, the Canucks saw Cloutier, Auld, Hedberg, Skruda, Moss, Brochu, Essensa, Potvin, Snow, Weekes, Schwab, Michaud, Hirsh, Irbe and Burke.

The Sedins are not garbage. But they are defenseless. When a 23 year old with half the size of Daniel, repetedly punches him in the face on National TV without any retaliation, it doesn't look stoic; it looks soft. That's because the Sedins are soft players. Henrik might be durable healthwise, but there is not one mean bone in him and neither in Daniel. They are in fact Art Ross winners so they accumulate points; regular season points don't win Cups.

I certainly hope Schneider betters Luongo's numbers, athleticism and poise and does bring a Cup to Vancouver as well as win a few Vezinas. But the odds are against him doing so.

You can disagree all you want and you have the right to your own opinion. I for one believe that any team with Luongo on it is immensely better. In fact, I believe he is the key to a dynasty in Chicago; they have a better all around team but find themselves without a goaltender. I sure hope Luongo doesn't end up there because we'll have to hear you cry over and over again how the World is so unfair and that Gillis guy is an evil doer. Then again, YOU migh become a Chicago fan you bandwagon jumper.

A lot of crazy talk here but if art Ross trophys don't win cups the same could be said for epic meltdowns in net and the same said player who embarrassed Daniel sure did a good job of making Lu look average at best....

Goes both ways bud. Just have to take off the lulove goggles.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#3831 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

The poster whom you answered this mocking post to is in fact right. The team left Luongo to fend for himself in the face of total adversity; a Boston team so pissed won the Cup.

Fact is, the Boston fans and media were 100% behind their team while Vancouver fans and media were busy destroying and nitpicking the Canucks into oblivion. Some of the worst media in North America has been assembled in Vancouver and the sheep just keep repeating what they hear and it ends up on CBC.

If the fans or media bother a player that much then that player has mental toughness issues.

Edited by Noheart, 13 July 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#3832 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

I love how these people will light themselves on fire for Luongo yet throw the rest of the team under the bus

You are a true diehard Canucks fan
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#3833 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

I love how these people will light themselves on fire for Luongo yet throw the rest of the team under the bus

You are a true diehard Canucks fan

Win as a team, lose as a team. It's not as simple as Goal against = bad goaltending.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#3834 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Is this your best excuse for why our team hasn't won a cup?....well hopefully the right fans call in to team 1040 and all the rah rah writers write the articles because obviously the team is perfect and it's the media and fans holding them back from Stanley.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#3835 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yaaaaawn*stretch*

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#3836 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Doug Flutie played in the NFL as well for 12 season, and at 5'10", one of the shortest NFL QBs ever. The only non-Canadian to be in the Canadian sports hall of fame, he's in the CFL hall of fame, he won the Heisman. The guy is a legend, and save for Bure, the best athelte to play in Vancouver.

We are talking about best player in Van? Doug Flutie does not make the list not even close. Doug Flutie played 91 games in the NFL and threw 86 td to with 68 int, Matt Leinhart and Troy Smith say hello. One of the Shortest Qb's ever? Ya that has bearing in the argument, because short people rule. Flutie was pretty much a fringe NFLER and the CFL is a joke, it just is. Save for Bure? hmm?

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 13 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#3837 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I love all this crap about how Schneider will never be as good as Luongo, Luongo makes him look better, etc.

Face it. Luongo is gone

#3838 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

You're leaving 'Big Country' Reeves off the list too?

#3839 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,156 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

If the fans or media bother a player that much then that player has mental toughness issues.

No kidding. Besides, blaming fan reaction for winning or not winning is giving them far too much credit.

The 'Canes won a Cup with a fanbase that cares more about tractor pulls than they do hockey.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#3840 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Is this your best excuse for why our team hasn't won a cup?....well hopefully the right fans call in to team 1040 and all the rah rah writers write the articles because obviously the team is perfect and it's the media and fans holding them back from Stanley.

Have you ever woken up hating the prospects of going to work? Isn't it hard to get up? You get up much later and drag yourself around the house only to be late for work and be criticized by your boss, which only confirms the contempt you have for you present life situation.

Have you ever woken up loving the prospects of going to work? Isn't it easy to get up? You get up on time and jump around the house, you get to work early anticipating a good day and you see your boss arrives with a smile at the same time as you. He's happy you're there early and poised for work which in turn confirms you positive attitude for life.

Nothing is perfect. But the odds of winning the Stanley Cup are slim; why add to it by bringing the team down when they need our support the most? And you seriously cannot argue that the support behind the Canucks was fragile and media excluded, very local, whereas Boston's was concrete, desperate, fanatical, global and ferocious all the way down to the penalty box doorman who opened the door to Alberts only after Alberts knocked on the door for it to be opened. Meanwhile in Vancouver, the media was destroying Luongo and the fans listening to the media followed like sheep.

When the Canucks who, had they had local and therefore National support, would have had that extra push to win the Cup didn't win the cup, the confused sheep united to bring down their lot, calling foul to the hockey Gods, when in fact it was they who did not know how to walk in uncharted territory and subsequently practiced an ugly form of cannibalism.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.