Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#4171 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

None of us knows that for sure. It's just as likely that Florida is very high on acquiring Lu, and that Gillis is just waiting until a different, or another specific player or pick, is added to the deal coming our way.

It's still almost three months until the Canucks play their first regular season game. These deals may take a lot of consideration by both sides, but a decision is made in a moment.

Exactly, not to mention that w/ the CBA negotiations just getting going, no one knows what the cap situation will be, if there will be amnesties, etc etc. So teams aren't in a hurry to be picking up contracts right now. It's 3 months until the season starts, if it even starts. If the CBA is settled before then and Gillis still can't seem to move Luongo, then we can declare his value may not be as high as we'd like. The general consensus amongst analysts before free agency even started was that if Luongo was going to be moved it probably wouldn't be until late in the summer, so everything seems to be going par for the course anyway. Also as has been mentioned, if contract terms are decreased significantly in new CBA, suddenly Lu's long term and decent cap hit are very attractive and could greatly increase the number of teams interested.

#4172 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,640 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Of course none of us knows, but Deniro pointed out, and I agree, that certain factors beyond MG's control have conspired to diminish MG's negotiating position. This may make it necessary for MG to soften his position a little.
I'm not sying Lou is not worth anything. But MG has admitted himself that he has been the problem with respect to a deal not getting done. He has said that he wants a lot in return. All I was pointing out is that his expectations may be so high that no deal can get done, no matter how interested Florida, or anyone else for that matter, is. Again, just to make sure I'm not being vague, I don't think Lou isn't valuable and I don't think MG needs to get soaked in a Luongo deal. Just not as valuable as MG makes him out to be at this point in the game.

This makes sense, however, we really have no idea whatsoever Gillis is asking for.

It may well be that both Burke and Tallon are buying into the anti-Luongo hype that's so prevalent back east and offering nothing of value. Gillis isn't going to come out and say the other guys are the problem, he'll just state that he's not going to amke a deal that doesn't make sense.

The one thing I've heard reported by a reliable source is that Tallon won't part with "high prospects". If by this he means Gudbranson and Huberdeau, then I understand perfectly. However, if it also means Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden and Petrovic, then I see a problem.

It makes no sense to trade Louie for a player like Komisarek, Upshall or Fleischmann, because they aren't as valuable to the team as Luongo is. Trading for prospects like the ones mentioned helps the future and gives the team Cap room to go after immediate help, such as Shane Doan.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#4173 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

In several interviews around FA day MG said he doesn't expect mich to happen untill mid August. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the summer.

Luongo won't be traded away for nothing. MG will wait untill the trade deadline if he has to but he will get a good return. Luongo is not a cap dump. He has lots of value.

#4174 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

If Gillis can get any sort of significant return for Luongo after whats gone on, he deserves a gold medal.

Just look at all of the blunders that have gone on since the end of the season that has hurt this process.

From Lu hinting that he wanted a trade, to AV leaking it to the media that he had actually requested a trade, and even more recently to Luongo saying that he would prefer to go to Florida.

Well stated. At face value, Luongo would be a challenging asset to move. Unless it's part of a coordinated strategy between Luongo and Management, it feels like many of Luongo's comments have steered Gillis down a very narrow path. It reminds me of the scene in The Godfather where Santino runs his mouth off in front of Sollozzo. Sollozzo leaves, and then The Don turns to Luongo Santino and says, "What's the matter with you? Don't ever let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking."

Edited by brewdog, 17 July 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#4175 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,989 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Don't you guys think MG is being way too patient? I guess he isn't getting reasonable offers.

307mg00.jpg

#4176 TheMacGuy

TheMacGuy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Sedins will be like...."Welcome to the big club..."

Daniel: "If you want to stick around with us...Here is your first drill Dave... Your time to shine!"

Then Henrik passes a towel to Dave and down he goes quietly with the dirty work.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image <---Dave in Black & smiling

Does a rat know how to shine shoes or skates?? lol

#4177 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Imagine the return we could get for Lu at the trade deadline. An elite goaltender available for a team in position to make a push... jesus.

The trade deadline is all about sacrificing long term stability for short term gain, and if a team thought Luongo could put them over the top, then we could likely get any prospect we wanted.

I am not saying it will happen, but imagine the return.

We should have done this last trade deadline.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#4178 TheMacGuy

TheMacGuy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Don't you guys think MG is being way too patient? I guess he isn't getting reasonable offers.

He is still fishing. Didn't you read the memo?

#4179 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,989 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

He is still fishing. Didn't you read the memo?

Oh right.....

307mg00.jpg

#4180 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

MG is the doctor of patience.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#4181 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm not buyin all this value stuff..

I don't think anything that has been said is going to hurt our trading chances. We have a goalie and everything you are going to get (ability, age, cap hit, term) is all black and white. What u see is what you get. Trading for him is going to be quite the commitment however, so I can understand this taking some time. You also don't want to dismantle your team in the process so theres going to be some straight poker faces and lowballing. You know damn well komiserek and 1st ain't gonna get him but your an idiot if you don't try.

On our side we have no pressure to dump him in the offseason for a sh*tty package. We just won a second presidents trophy and we haven't lost much, Salo was old and we just replaced him with a garrison who is coming into his own. We're not in dire need of anything, we have a team that will still be competitive and most likely around the top of the league again this year. Sure there are improvements that can be made but were not in danger of not making the playoffs at all.

Basically my point is we're holding the cards here.. We have a good enough team to compete for the cup if everyone steps up their game in the playoffs. Improvements would be nice but not badly needed right this minute. So even if we go into the season with 10 million in goaltending, I feel we're sitting just fine. Both goalies are locked up and were not losing Schnieder.. Someone's gotta cave here and why would that be us? gillis said he's comfortable starting the season with both guys and looking at our team why wouldn't he be.. It's alot different than Burke saying he's comfortable with reimer/scrivens or Stevie saying he's pretty sure he's gonna snag an elite goalie outta nowhere

The whole torn locker room argument is rediculous. He's been a part of our core for 6yrs, these guys are all best friends and know more about this situation than any of us or any speculating insiders. I don't see any of them giving him the cold shoulder even Cory Schneider as he knows his time as a starter is coming very soon.

I don't see anyone caving and giving us everything we want but I bet a deal will be reached that finally makes sense for both clubs

#4182 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Can we just ask for a 1st round pick and get it over with?
Posted Image

#4183 theax

theax

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

Well lately I got the felling that the "Luonge trade" is strong connected to the "Doan signing"
If it is true that the canucks want Doan (and I believe so) and get him signed the requests in the Luongo trade by GMMG is depth and good prospects (and free salary for Doan).
If Doan is going somewhere else or staying in PHX than GMMG at least wants a Top-6 FW.
What do you guys think?

#4184 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

I think the Luo and Doan are seperate.You always want to get the best players you can and if we trade Luo then sign Doan or other way around they are both going to happen only thing Doan might stay put which I highly doubt.
Posted Image

#4185 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Well stated. At face value, Luongo would be a challenging asset to move. Unless it's part of a coordinated strategy between Luongo and Management, it feels like many of Luongo's comments have steered Gillis down a very narrow path. It reminds me of the scene in The Godfather where Santino runs his mouth off in front of Sollozzo. Sollozzo leaves, and then The Don turns to Luongo Santino and says, "What's the matter with you? Don't ever let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking."

Maybe fundamentally, Luongo doesn't, want to move. He did sign long term in Vancouver, assuming he'd be staying.

He got thrown under the bus by his own coach in favor of a rookie, but Hodgson was never given a rightful spot by Kesler's injury and Kassian will is a Lucic being turned into a Bernier. What AV pulled usually costs the coach's job promptly.

Luongo then only mentions Florida (home) and Chicago (biggest Canucks rival). To me it sounds as if it is by design he mentioned those teams so as to stay in Vancouver.

Move the kid for some offense and LU'll get you the Cup.

Move LU out and every year the Canucks chances to win a Cup let alone make the playoffs decrease.

LU ought to be heavily motivated to regain his rightful position against a rookie goalie. If so, the cheers will come back fast and all will be forgotten. He's only a few saves from doing so.

Except for the ever hating Vancouver media and its hateful listening fans who will concentrate on hating LU and demand Gillis' head because of an "atrocious" cap hit on goaltending wreason reality, such numbers are more than all of them combined will ever see in a lifetime and therefore do not understand to say the least.

I do realize that 90% of Vancouver fans are of the good kind. That 10% obnoxiously poor and narrow minded, self righteous loser kind is the problem we all face. They are loud, they want to destroy our team and they don't know how to handle adversity outside of firing, giving up as running someone out of town like an 1800's bar murder.

You know who you are.

Posted Image

#4186 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Can we just ask for a 1st round pick and get it over with?

Let me know when you're getting divorced and selling your house.

Edited by GHL, 18 July 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

#4187 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Maybe fundamentally, Luongo doesn't, want to move. He did sign long term in Vancouver, assuming he'd be staying.

He got thrown under the bus by his own coach in favor of a rookie, but Hodgson was never given a rightful spot by Kesler's injury and Kassian will is a Lucic being turned into a Bernier. What AV pulled usually costs the coach's job promptly.

Luongo then only mentions Florida (home) and Chicago (biggest Canucks rival). To me it sounds as if it is by design he mentioned those teams so as to stay in Vancouver.

Move the kid for some offense and LU'll get you the Cup.

Move LU out and every year the Canucks chances to win a Cup let alone make the playoffs decrease.

LU ought to be heavily motivated to regain his rightful position against a rookie goalie. If so, the cheers will come back fast and all will be forgotten. He's only a few saves from doing so.

Except for the ever hating Vancouver media and its hateful listening fans who will concentrate on hating LU and demand Gillis' head because of an "atrocious" cap hit on goaltending wreason reality, such numbers are more than all of them combined will ever see in a lifetime and therefore do not understand to say the least.

I do realize that 90% of Vancouver fans are of the good kind. That 10% obnoxiously poor and narrow minded, self righteous loser kind is the problem we all face. They are loud, they want to destroy our team and they don't know how to handle adversity outside of firing, giving up as running someone out of town like an 1800's bar murder.

You know who you are.

What are you on about now?

Stop over complicating the situation.

Take the tin foil off your head, and realize that Luongo said himself that it is time to move on.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#4188 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Here's a couple things on Luongo from Elliotte Friedman's column:

25. Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.

26. The endgame for Luongo? If it doesn't happen with Florida, they'll ask him for more destinations. Eventually, he's going to have to play along, because he has "no-trade," not "no-move" protection. But, there's no real deadline now except for fan and media impatience.

27. Have to believe that, yes, Toronto's inquired about Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But there are doubts Burke is incredibly serious about him. Was he serious about Martin Brodeur? Yes. Is he more serious than he lets on about Luongo? Yes. Bernier doesn't really fit Toronto's stated criteria of a veteran in goal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...0-thoughts.html

Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know. As you were.

#4189 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Here's a couple things on Luongo from Elliotte Friedman's column:

25. Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.

26. The endgame for Luongo? If it doesn't happen with Florida, they'll ask him for more destinations. Eventually, he's going to have to play along, because he has "no-trade," not "no-move" protection. But, there's no real deadline now except for fan and media impatience.

27. Have to believe that, yes, Toronto's inquired about Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But there are doubts Burke is incredibly serious about him. Was he serious about Martin Brodeur? Yes. Is he more serious than he lets on about Luongo? Yes. Bernier doesn't really fit Toronto's stated criteria of a veteran in goal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...0-thoughts.html

Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know. As you were.

Wow Elliot. Wow.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#4190 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Wow Elliot. Wow.

You know it's slow when...

MirandaKerr.jpg

#4191 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#4192 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

:bored:

#4193 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

We are going to be waiting for a while...
http://canucksarmy.c...abble-stalemate

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#4194 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

As per Eliotte Friedman, the Panthers are unwilling to move Markström, Gudbranson or Huberdeau in a deal involving Luongo.

Edited by Trip, 18 July 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#4195 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

As per Eliotte Friedman, the Panthers are unwilling to move Markström, Gudbranson or Huberdeau in a deal involving Luongo.

Nobody ever should have believed that in the first place,

On another note, with all this talk of a stalemate happening on the luongo front, I wouldn't be shocked if a trade happened really quick here. It wouldn't be very gillis like to be predictable
-formerly known as macvic24

#4196 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

You have to think Vancouver's askin price is a Roster Player, back up goalie, A-level prospect, and possibly a pick. I assume the only thing that is holding the trade up would be the prospect. Gillis wants the moon but Tallon isn't eager on giving it up. My guess is a trade won't happen until mid to late August.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#4197 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Personally, I don't think Luongo will be moved before Shane Doan signs somewhere.

I think the chances of Doan moving from Phoenix are increasing by the day. Its far from set that the team stays in Phoenix right now as the money isn't in the bank yet. Until it is, the deal isn't done.

If you're Doan, you probably want to know where your kids are going to go to school fairly early here and I don't see him letting this run much past the end of July without making a final decision.

Now...If you're Vancouver and putting hypothetically 5 million per on the table for him while you're already about 5 million to the cap ceiling, you probably want to make sure you have that available until the situation plays out.

If by some crazy happening Doan actually signs up here (if he moves, I think we're about 50% based on relationship, chance of cup and Doan and wife being close to family), it drastically changes what this teams needs are and what we need back for Luongo.

If Doan is on the team, we either have to structure a trade that moves more than just Luongo, or we accept that we aren't looking for pieces that we fully expect to be on the team next year. More to looking at prospects and picks.

Just my opinion, but I'll be really surprised if anything happens before we find out where Doan is staying / landing.

#4198 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

You have much to learn about negotiating Grass Hopper!
:lol:

#4199 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,640 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

You have to think Vancouver's askin price is a Roster Player, back up goalie, A-level prospect, and possibly a pick. I assume the only thing that is holding the trade up would be the prospect. Gillis wants the moon but Tallon isn't eager on giving it up. My guess is a trade won't happen until mid to late August.

I don't think they want a roster player from the Panthers. I don't see enough Cap room left if they did so and still wanted to be able to sign Doan.

That could change if Doan signed elsewhere, but I have to believe that if Tallon were willing to part with a couple of the 2nd tier prospects, (Bjugstad, Howden, Matthias, Petrovic) a deal could be made tomorrow.

My guess is that Tallon wants MG to take on some salary and that is what's holding things up.

Once the Shane Doan issue is resolved, it should make things a lot clearer. Gillis might be willing to take a player from the roster if Doan signs in Phoenix, etc. and he wouldn't be able to if he managed to bring Doan to Vancouver.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#4200 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Pierre LeBrun@Pierre__LeBrun
BREAKING NEWS: Canucks trade G Roberto Luongo to Blackhawks for C Dave Bolland, Viktor Stahlberg, and a 2014 1st round pick

real fake? whats up?

idk if its a fake account just saw it and thought i would post it

Edited by BertuzziFan2010, 18 July 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.