The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Hmm.. the fact that Luongo has been quiet up until this point, but has come out and said this now, makes me think there must be a deal in principle in place with Florida. I don't think he would have come out and said this lessening the little leverage Gillis had, w/o there being something. He's stayed quiet up until this point, so something must be brewing.

edit: Accidentally quoted Special Ed

Sounds like its about done, if Lu himself says its time to move on... Hoping really bad for FLA's first rounder next draft. It could be a good one I think - FLA's season last year looked a little flukey IMO. Them and the Jets look to be the weakest team in that divion.

Luongo was on CFOX in las Vegas this morning. They asked him if he will play in a Vancouver jersey again. Said he doesn't want to say never but not likely. He had a great 6 years but it's time to move on. He enjoys a hockey market, and has to go to a team that can win a cup. There was more to it. But anybody who thinks he isn't gone, he is. Gillis told him Schneider is the guy now, and luongo said him and gillis made a mutual decision luongos time is gone here.

VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Jason Botchford reports there's speculation the Canucks would insist on Jose Theodore being part of the return if they were to ship Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers. Theodore has a limited NTC which lists ten teams he can be dealt to without waiving his clause, but the Canucks aren't on that list.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Sure, the Panthers could threaten to make Theodore their number three unless he accepts a trade, but if, as the piece suggests, he didn't get along with current Canucks goalie coach Rollie Melanson during their days together in Montreal, that threat might not work.

never had the trade conversation with Gillis

interviewers suggested that at least he won't go to Columbus - "don't want to talk specifics...there's a lot of stuff going on"

"that was to be expected [Cory signing] there"

"we all know what's going on, we've all seen what's developed"

"I've never had a negative encounter face to face" in Vancouver.

"a great market to play in."

Archived