Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#781 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

I was actually looking forward to a trade involving Luongo and say a third for Schenn and a 1st/2nd from Toronto... Oh well...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#782 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

That makes absolutley no sense for multiple reasons:

1) Both are proven starters
2) We don't want to pay 8M+ on goalies
3) Schneider has won the starting job over Luongo

It sucks, and I agree it makes no sense, but that doesnt mean its not going to happen.

Displacing 10 years of sub par playoff goaltending will be no easy task my friend.

Gillis is not happy with what teams are offering.

He also lives in a dream world when it comes to Luongo's value.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#783 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

He also lives in a dream world when it comes to Luongo's value.

No, it's just that he doesn't think Schenn is what the team needs in terms of getting better. Don't get your panties in a bind and let the man do his work.

G4fSut.gif

#784 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

In my opinion, if Luongo were hypothetically traded for players on our current roster, the trade I would accept (to obtain Luongo) would be on the lines of:

Incoming: Luongo

Outgoing: Booth + Ballard

That is probably what I would send out to get Luongo. If Luongo's GM said no, I'd probably say to think about it and leave it at that. However, if I were Luongo's GM, I would definitely want more. So to meet in the middle, I'd ask for a Schroeder level prospect (probably someone in the lines of Matt Frattin.. Both are uncertain if they will make the NHL on a regular basis, but both play prominent roles in their AHL affiliates).

So If we do make a deal with Toronto, we are not going to see much more than a Schenn, Komisarek (salary dump) and someone like Matt Frattin, and if we get this, I would say Gillis did a good job. I would think a prospect with career AHLer written all over them would be sent along with Luongo as well.

If you compare our players with Toronto players of equal value:

Schenn has more value than Booth in my opinion (I'd be fine with swapping Booth for Schenn). So let's add a 2nd rounder.
Komisarek and Ballard have similar values (maybe you could say similar "negative" values)

So, I would think that Schenn and Komisarek would be even too much for Luongo (and these are two players that many people don't even want... However, I am supportive of Schenn, even with his shortcomings. I think Schenn would help clear the net in front of our goalie, and bring that nasty banging game that is lacking)

Other assets that have been surfacing in these trade rumors/proposals include:

Gardiner (I value him close to Kassian) - for those who think otherwise, just move down our prospect depth chart and you will find the next one is Lack. I love Lack, and he will make the NHL as a above average back-up to a below average starter, but he wont get us Gardiner (not even close. Gardiner is projected to be a #2 to #3 d-man).
- I wouldn't trade Kassian for Luongo

5th overall pick (it would take two of our 1sts & our 2nd at least.. and I probably still wouldn't make this trade if I were Toronto).
- I definitely would not give two late firsts and a 2nd for Luongo on its own.

So unfortunately, if we trade Luongo + mid-level prospect (or maybe an asset with Albert's value) to Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised to see an asset value of Schenn + Komisarek + Matt Frattin come back our way. I'm not saying it will be these exact players, but the players we will recieve will have an similar asset value as these three players.

I would put money that the asset value, of the three players mentioned above, is what Gillis is probably asking right now, and I really believe Burke wants to replace Schenn with someone of lesser value.

Just trying to put myself in Toronto's shoes, and this is just my own opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having Schenn on our team, and if Gillis manages to get Burke to do Schenn + their 2nd for Luongo + our 2nd... I wouldn't hold it against him. This will allow us to bid a bit higher on a solid UFA as well (someone to fill one of the holes we have hopefully).

#785 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
#SNdraft #Panthers Luongo interest remains lukewarm at best. Unlikely FLA will take on next 6 yrs @ 6.7M per. #Leafs remain logical choice

Commissioner of 2014-15 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League Taking Applications

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#786 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Kypreos is a clown but would it really shock anyone if this were accurate?
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#787 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

I always expect tweets from Kypreos to be in CAPS.

#788 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just woke up to see if anything happened ... I see that the GM's were doing what I was doing .... sleeping.

Edited by Neversummer, 23 June 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#789 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I had an apocalyptic dream. I was at work and everyone was loading stuff in to the work cars fleeing to the east coast. Damn it was exciting!

#790 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I had an apocalyptic dream. I was at work and everyone was loading stuff in to the work cars fleeing to the east coast. Damn it was exciting!

Actually I had one last night as well... Maybe it was because I fell asleep in front of the tv with "finding a friend at the end of the world" commercials playing every 3 tv breaks.

EDIT: Also dreamed that Ballard was on his way to Philly for Carle's rights and a 4th, woke up pretty excited.

Edited by knoxdown, 23 June 2012 - 08:22 AM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#791 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

I still think the caps should make a pitch. With what they did yesterday, if they added Luongo, wow. Holtby is good, but is this another Varlamov type of playoff flash in the pan? or is he the real deal?

Gillis is doing exactly what he said he would do, and that is take his time. With Tim Thomas now mucking up the goalie market its a good idea to wait for the right deal to come along.

Higher priority is getting Schneider extended. 3-4 years at 3.5ish imo. That makes 9m in Goal moving forward, which is manageable, not preferred, but manageable. At that point you can get top value for either one and takes the heat off.

Don't count out Wilson in San Jose either. He has some coveted assets to move and could really use a better tender.

Luongo + for Ryan Clowe +
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#792 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Toronto just traded Gustavson. Making room for Luongo!?!

#793 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Toronto just traded Gustavson. Making room for Luongo!?!

No. Jonas wasn't going back there. The Leafs just wanted to get something for his rights.

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#794 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

No. Jonas wasn't going back there. The Leafs just wanted to get something for his rights.

:( should have known that, got a little excited there

#795 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think MG could be making a tactical mistake by not dealing Lou and the longer he waits, the more damaging it may become.
Schneids wants a definitive commitment by the organization to him before he commits to the team. This means dealing Lou. MG should collect all possibilities out there and pursue the best one. I keep hearing he's looking to make a hockey deal; Dumping his retarded contract, in my mind would be a solid hockey deal and convince Schneider that this is the place for him.

If they don't do this, I could see Schneider seeking a 1 yr deal and going to unrestricted free agency next year. This is where MG and the Canucks could get screwed.

It is way too late for Lou to save face in Vancouver. He's already stated his desire to be dealt (I can't blame him), and it's no secret MG's been actively seeking to ablige. It could really turn into a mess if MG isn't careful.

#796 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Well, I guess now we'll just have to see if anything happens over the next week heading into the start of free agency on July 1st!

#797 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Most underwhelming draft weekend with all the rumors of lu being moved

#798 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Most underwhelming draft weekend with all the rumors of lu being moved

For Canucks fans yes.

But the Jordan Staal trade was a huge one for every hockey fan.

Overall however, I would agree that this draft weekend turned out to be quieter than expected.

#799 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Botchford just tweeted:

Tallon: ya, we did talk to Vancouver about goaltending

Tallon: but we’re not willing to give up any of our top prospects

https://twitter.com/#!/botchford

I wonder who exactly MG has been asking for. Could also see why this might take awhile to get sorted out. The Panthers themselves are low on top 6 forwards heading into next season and right now, Wolski and Versteeg are their RFAs. Assuming Huberdeau makes the team next year, they still have at least 2 wing positions to fill.

Versteeg's skill set is actually not a bad fit for the Canucks IMO but he definitely runs against the grain of the direction the team seems to be going in terms of size. Wolski's too inconsistent IMO. Could the Canucks be after Shawn Matthias as a center for the third line?

Edited by EternalCanuckFan, 23 June 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#800 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Botchford just tweeted:

Tallon: ya, we did talk to Vancouver about goaltending

Tallon: but we’re not willing to give up any of our top prospects

https://twitter.com/#!/botchford

Do we see Mike Gillis going back to Toronto and going, "Okay we'll take Luke Schenn for Luongo. We couldn't get Erik Gudbranson." Posted Image

Posted Image

#801 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Looks like the gms are saying Burke is gillis only option or trade Schneider instead

#802 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

Do we see Mike Gillis going back to Toronto and going, "Okay we'll take Luke Schenn for Luongo. We couldn't get Erik Gudbranson." Posted Image

no. Burke will have to add. Burke is just testing gillis right now. they both know it. They will both waste some time, but he isn't getting Luongo for Schenn by himself. He knows that.

#803 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Both sides are trying to bluff the other into giving in and it's not working. Just admit to the necessity of the deal and work to get it done. Pretty simple to me. Arragance can be ugly.

#804 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,029 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Gillis on the Luongo trade: "It hasn't been close for me. I am the problem."

307mg00.jpg

#805 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Gillis on the Luongo trade: "It hasn't been close for me. I am the problem."

Interesting choice of words, ha ha. I guess he's saying that he's the one that has been shooting down offers?

#806 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Now will those of you who thought he was gonna get Gudbranson get a clue once and for all?!!

Gillis stating he's the problem is a problem for me. If he allows Cory to get an offer sheet thrown at him, he will have screwed this organization for years to come.

#807 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Gillman has already said the team has room to match any offer sheet and wouldn't think twice. Schnieder is going to get between 4-5 million anyway - so an offer sheet wouldn't be a terrible issue. And if you think it hampers the trade route - get real, everyone knows Gillis has to/will sign Schnieder anyway...any offer sheet doesn't do anything.

Saying it'll screw over the team for 'years to come' is hyperbolic none sense. I'd much prefer to take Gillman at his word about not working from a position of fear than the CDC's headless chicken panic-mode.

#808 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Interesting choice of words, ha ha. I guess he's saying that he's the one that has been shooting down offers?

That's exactly it - he just doesn't like what's being offered. Rather he waits until he feels he can help the team than jumping at something that won't.

#809 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,029 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

@adamjahns
Hearing the words of Dale Tallon and Brian Burke, it's very clear the asking price for Roberto Luongo is very high right now.

307mg00.jpg

#810 KicKassian

KicKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Now will those of you who thought he was gonna get Gudbranson get a clue once and for all?!!

Gillis stating he's the problem is a problem for me. If he allows Cory to get an offer sheet thrown at him, he will have screwed this organization for years to come.

Unless its a rediculous amount of money like 7.5 plus he'll match and then we get 4 if we dont match. 1st's, I'd take that!

Edited by KicKassian, 23 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.