Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#811 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

haha, Schnieder will be signed before July 1st. Everyone has to relax, I believe Gillis is waiting until he re-signs Schnieder before even trading Luongo. Which is smart.

#812 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

That makes absolutley no sense for multiple reasons:

1) Both are proven starters
2) We don't want to pay 8M+ on goalies
3) Schneider has won the starting job over Luongo

What he said. Also having 2 starting goalies with only one being on the ice on any given night is such a waste of an asset. Luongo on the bench does not make us a better team. Luongo might be more valuable than Schenn, but Schenn will actually make us slightly better.

Edited by 6OH!4, 23 June 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#813 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

haha, Schnieder will be signed before July 1st. Everyone has to relax, I believe Gillis is waiting until he re-signs Schnieder before even trading Luongo. Which is smart.

Bob Mckenzie thinks so too. He also says the price for Luongo is steep so that's a good sign were not just doing it as a cap dump
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#814 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Schneider's getting traded, it's inevitable. As much as I want to see him starting next year, the return for Luongo simply isn't good enough for Gillis to pull the trigger.

наилучшими пожеланиями,

Матушка Россия

#815 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm not convinced that Schenn is the best the Canucks can get for Lu. MG and Gilman feel that the defense is already quite steady and seem to be high on Connauton. The UFA crop is not great but a guy like Bryan Allen is not a bad option if he is willing to sign for less. If Garrison becomes available, he is also an interesting option but his price might be too high.

What the Canucks need now is more depth at forward in terms of size. I think thats the hockey trade that MG is looking for with some depth D thrown in. And that's what makes TO an odd trading partner.

As an aside, the more I think of it, the Canucks could use a winger like Justin Williams for Kes. Obviously Williams is not available but would a guy like Versteeg in Fla be an option? He's small so that works against the goal of getting bigger, but he's won a cup and he has produced on two offensively challenged teams... As long as he never raps again, I would be ok with seeing him in a Canucks uni. He's an rfa though - not sure how much it would take to re-sign him if he is acquired.

#816 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Tallon: we’re not willing to give up any of our top prospect.\

Even if you take Gudbranson, Huberdeau and Kulikov out of the equation, Florida still has a lot more to deal with than the Leafs...
Bjugstad or Matthias could be good fits - I'd like to see/know more about Petrovic - sounds like the type of attributes the Canucks could use. Perhaps a few parts as opposed to one of the untouchables would make a good hockey trade. I'm glad Gillis is being patient. I think people are wrongly assuming that Schneider will not sign if Luongo isn't traded yet - that's not what his agent implied. No worries - Gillis will work out a good deal and it will be better than Schenn and Komisarek ::D ... I also think Tallon wanted to know what he was getting out of the draft before moving prospects...

Edited by oldnews, 23 June 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#817 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm not convinced that Schenn is the best the Canucks can get for Lu. MG and Gilman feel that the defense is already quite steady and seem to be high on Connauton. The UFA crop is not great but a guy like Bryan Allen is not a bad option if he is willing to sign for less. If Garrison becomes available, he is also an interesting option but his price might be too high.

What the Canucks need now is more depth at forward in terms of size. I think thats the hockey trade that MG is looking for with some depth D thrown in. And that's what makes TO an odd trading partner.

As an aside, the more I think of it, the Canucks could use a winger like Justin Williams for Kes. Obviously Williams is not available but would a guy like Versteeg in Fla be an option? He's small so that works against the goal of getting bigger, but he's won a cup and he has produced on two offensively challenged teams... As long as he never raps again, I would be ok with seeing him in a Canucks uni. He's an rfa though - not sure how much it would take to re-sign him if he is acquired.

LOL Allen

Schenn is vicious.
He'll fight
He'll get us almost 300 more hits.
20 points
the right handed d-man we've needed
is 22 years old, amazing potential

Allen:
Won't fight, and if he does, he'll get knocked around
Gets 1/3 the hits
Has broken 20 points ONCE.
Is 31 years old
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#818 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Here's the irony folks - the Leafs weren't willing to part with their 5th overall pick - but they are willing to part with Schenn - their 5th overall pick in 2008, who they have also "developed". Tells you something doesn't it?

#819 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I guess we're not the only ones talking about this. Puck Daddy's take - http://sports.yahoo....NZqLtZEPgp7vLYF.

I think Burke has to really change his philosophy to take on Luongo. Burke's hope was to grow Reimer or Scrivens into starters. I think Burke wanted a veteran for 1 or 2 years (Brodeur might fit the bill, or Thomas if he was willing to play). Taking on Luongo effectively means that you have to move in another direction saddled with a long contract. Then he will have to move either Reimer or Scrivens.

Edited by Neversummer, 23 June 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#820 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

LOL Allen

Schenn is vicious.
He'll fight
20 points

Allen:
Won't fight, and if he does, he'll get knocked around
Gets 1/3 the hits
Has broken 20 points ONCE.
Is 31 years old

First, I only threw out Allen as an option.

Second, IMO Allen is not a bad option because he brings size to the blue line and more importantly, will not cost the Canucks a 1 for 1 deal for an elite #1. I agree with you that Allen is limited in his skills compared with Schenn but Schenn's an expensive acquisition if it's just 1 for 1.

#821 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

While their gm's show incredible patience, I suspect Roberto Luongo and Rick Nash are growing weary of the uncertainty.

Posted Image
Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#822 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

LOL Allen

Schenn is vicious.
He'll fight
20 points

We need a RIGHT-SIDED D-man, not a right-handed D-man.
Posted Image

#823 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

This is the definition of an unrealistic lowball offer from a position of weakness - a prospect that isn't panning out on a team that needs a veteran/legitimate starting goaltender for a franchise goaltender on an elite team that doesn't need to make a move to remain a contender - it doesn't work that way. Sorry Leafs.

#824 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I think a deal with the Leafs is already in place. Both GM's, especially MG, are very patient.

1, If Burke doesn't want Luongo at all, we would all know about it by now. He says he is comfortable with Reimer and Scrivens, only if he wants another high 1st round pick comes 2013. The haven't made the playoffs for 7 years or something. They need an elite and reliable starter. They can only get that with Luongo.

2, I believe we are getting Luke Schenn in return. Burke drafted Morgan Reilly. With the depth on D they have they had no need to spend their 5th overall on a defenceman. This may suggest they are parting ways with one of their young D's.

3, Out of 5 choices we only drafted 1 D, in the 5th round. Yes we have some depth on the D in our prospect pool but lets face it we do not have top end D prospects.

4, The reason why the trade has not been pulled yet is because Gillis wants to do some shopping first (Burke doesn't have any options if he wants to upgrade), which means the deal we are getting from Toronto isn't great. So don't be surprised to see Lu and Schenn straight up.
Posted Image

#825 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Spare us the red herring Dreger - your lobbying on behalf of the Leafs is inappropriate.

If this is so hard on Luongo, consider that his comments after game 5 didn't help matters - yes they were deferential and all, but they were also what precipitated all the speculation and accelerated the (inevitable) trade talk - he'll just have to be patient. I'd be willing to bet that all parties concerned can work out a favourable, fair deal - there is no reason the Canucks franchise should take a loss where dealing Luongo is concerned.

#826 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Dear hockey god,

Let it end. One way or another.

SignEd,

Canucks fan.

Edited by Special Ed, 23 June 2012 - 12:28 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#827 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I think a deal with the Leafs is already in place. Both GM's, especially MG, are very patient.

1, If Burke doesn't want Luongo at all, we would all know about it by now. He says he is comfortable with Reimer and Scrivens, only if he wants another high 1st round pick comes 2013. The haven't made the playoffs for 7 years or something. They need an elite and reliable starter. They can only get that with Luongo.

2, I believe we are getting Luke Schenn in return. Burke drafted Morgan Reilly. With the depth on D they have they had no need to spend their 5th overall on a defenceman. This may suggest they are parting ways with one of their young D's.

3, Out of 5 choices we only drafted 1 D, in the 5th round. Yes we have some depth on the D in our prospect pool but lets face it we do not have top end D prospects.

4, The reason why the trade has not been pulled yet is because Gillis wants to do some shopping first (Burke doesn't have any options if he wants to upgrade), which means the deal we are getting from Toronto isn't great. So don't be surprised to see Lu and Schenn straight up.

Good points.

I'll admit I'd be a bit surprised if it's Lu for Schenn straight up. Schenn's a good young defenseman with upside but Lu is an elite goaltender (maybe not the best anymore but still elite) and there are far fewer goalies like him available.

I am starting to just want a resolution to all of this speculation though.

#828 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Typical conversations between key players in the Luongo trade:

Burke to Gillis: "Dude, when can we get this deal done?? The media and Dave Nonis, who I secretly thinks has a lifelong man crush on Luongo, are driving me crazy!"

Gillis: "Sorry buddy, gotta sign Schneider first."

Schneider's agent to Schneider: "We should wait as long as we can before signing with the Canucks. If we wait til they trade Luongo, we can probably squeeze another half mil out of them. And then there are potential offer sheets. Some teams are willing to go as far as 4.5 mil for ya!"

Gillis to Schneider's agent: "We are prepared to offer 5 years, $17.5 million."

Schneider's agent's phone's automatic response to Gillis' calls from his cellphone: "Thank you for your call. I'm on vacation."

James Duthie to Gillis: "Any news with the Luongo trade?"

Gillis: "We are fielding more calls..."
Posted Image

#829 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Haha ... classic. You show a real deep understanding, were you a player's agent in your previous life?

Edited by Neversummer, 23 June 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#830 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Burke to Gillis: "Dude, when can we get this deal done?? The media and Dave Nonis, who I secretly thinks has a lifelong man crush on Luongo, are driving me crazy!"

Gillis: "Sorry buddy, gotta sign Schneider first."

Schneider's agent to Schneider: "We should wait as long as we can before signing with the Canucks. If we wait til they trade Luongo, we can probably squeeze another half mil out of them. And then there are potential offer sheets. Some teams are willing to go as far as 4.5 mil for ya!"

Gillis to Schneider's agent: "We are prepared to offer 5 years, $17.5 million."

Schneider's agent's phone's automatic response to Gillis' calls from his cellphone: "Thank you for your call. I'm on vacation."

James Duthie to Gillis: "Any news with the Luongo trade?"

Gillis: "We are fielding more calls..."

Dave Nonis in the background : " Yo Big B, I'm makin a Timmy Ho's run, you want the regular boston creme?"
Burke: " SHUT UP DAVE, TOLD YOU NOT TO BUG ME WHEN IM ON THE PHONE!"

#831 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

People have to be open to the idea that Burke may be too stubborn to ever offer us good value.

If that's the case, then expect Luongo to be the starter again next season. Gillis will not give him away for nothing.

The market for goalies may be better at the deadline or next offseason.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#832 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

We need a RIGHT-SIDED D-man, not a right-handed D-man.

Right handed players usually shoot left and play on the right side, this is because all the accuracy and "skill" comes from the hand holding the top of the stick to articulate it in certain ways. The power behind the stick isnt as justifiable as the control and accuracy.

Posted Image

#833 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Right handed players usually shoot left and play on the right side, this is because all the accuracy and "skill" comes from the hand holding the top of the stick to articulate it in certain ways. The power behind the stick isnt as justifiable as the control and accuracy.

:blink:

#834 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Haha ... classic. You show a real deep understanding, were you a player's agent in your previous life?

nah it's just common sense if you ask me.
Posted Image

#835 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

:blink:

It's true. Ever notice how many more left-shooters there are than right-shooters? (Obviously there are more right-handed people than lefties.)

I however, am an anomaly. I'm right handed but shoot right. Left feels wrong.

totally agree although i wouldnt have minded jvr in a 3 way.

Context, people, context.

#836 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's true. Ever notice how many more left-shooters there are than right-shooters? (Obviously there are more right-handed people than lefties.)

me too, but mostly its because thats just how i first learned. I could probably switch.. but its a lot of effort :P

Posted Image

#837 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm getting pretty tired of all of this. I wish these NHL GMs would think of me for once. I just want to know what is happening with my team! get this done already!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#838 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm a right handed person, and shoot right handed in hockey, but i used to shoot left up until the age of 7. It used to feel more natural, but then I got a right handed stick and used it. Its very true.
Posted Image
Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#839 Louis

Louis

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I just hope wherever he ends up whether it be here (not looking likely) or on another team, that he wins the cup.

Looks like somebody needs a name change. People like you are the real bandwagoners.
Posted Image

#840 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

^How? I support the Canucks always. Unless they have a falling out with the organization or chase money elsewhere, I cheer for Canucks that are on other teams.

Here is something interesting.

@anguscertified The #canucks really like Nikolai Kulemin.

Edited by Edler's Mind Tricks, 23 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.