The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Smart tactic for Gillis might be to tell Schultz that Burke is willing to trade Gardiner to us if he doesn't sign with them.

Not sure if there's any truth to that. But you gotta think that if Gardiner was on the Canucks, Schultz would be a lock to sign here.

Smart tactic for Gillis might be to tell Schultz that Burke is willing to trade Gardiner to us if he doesn't sign with them.

Not sure if there's any truth to that. But you gotta think that if Gardiner was on the Canucks, Schultz would be a lock to sign here.

Agree with the above guys. With Schenn gone, Gardiner is without doubt one of the untouchables on that team. They've traded Gunnarson's rights and traded Schenn so no way they move another defender. Burke is an idiot, I'll grant you that, but even he isn't dumb enough to do that.

Agree with the above guys. With Schenn gone, Gardiner is without doubt one of the untouchables on that team. They've traded Gunnarson's rights and traded Schenn so no way they move another defender. Burke is an idiot, I'll grant you that, but even he isn't dumb enough to do that.

What is the problem with Luongo approving Florida only? It says it all; trade me home or don't trade me at all. The man wants to stay a Vancouver Canucks and he is ELITE enough for me to agree with him. Let a Schneider package go somewhere else and bring the returns Luongo's Canucks need to get it done; a number one defenseman. If Suter signs, then get some high offense. I'm pretty sure Columbus would rather have Schneider than any other goaltender in the league and so would Winnipeg. Teams are just retooling in case neither Schneider nor Luongo are available. So far, both aren't.

What is up with the nuclear clock mentality in Vancouver anyways? Even New York is calmer than Vancouver.

NEWS FLASH - THE WORLD IS NOT ENDING TODAY! NEWS FLASH - THE WORLD IS NOT ENDING TODAY!

It was Gustavsson's rights they traded. And without Schenn their defense looks like

Phaneuf - Gunarrsson

Liles - Gardiner

Franson - Komisarek

I think if they trade Gardiner, they could still sign a UFA or two as well say, Kubina and Wideman

Phaneuf - Kubina

Liles - Wideman

Franson - Gunarrsson

Possible. But not likely.

Except if there is any truth to Luongo approving only FLA as a trade destination, then it doesn't matter if there are 29 teams crawling over each other to get to Lou, because Tallon holds all the cards.

While I don't think FLA is the only place Lou would approve (I think he'd ok Tampa, or anywhere else that gets him/his wife close to Florida), the list can't be long. That, unfortunately, makes Gillis' comments regarding "several teams" having interest, an obvious bluff. Therefore, the NTC is the only thing bigger than Gillis hodling the deal up, and Gillis is likely trying to deflect that fact.

Here's the latest:

http://www.digitaljo.../article/327293

U.S. hockey mag cites source, says Roberto Luongo back to Florida

The latest of a flurry of trade rumors concerning Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo comes courtesy an American magazine called The Fourth Period. The magazine says Roberto Luongo is only willing to go to the Florida Panthers.

As the hockey world, Digital Journal included, is waiting with great anticipation to hear the gold-medal winning goalie will be shipped to the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Panthers, his former club, may have the inside edge on Bobby Lou's future. The Fourth Period says they do. "The Florida Panthers are serious about bringing back Roberto Luongo to South Florida, one league source told TFP on Sunday," the magazine wrote in a brief story on June 24. "Speaking on the basis of anonymity, the source indicated that Luongo is now only willing to waive his no-movement clause to Florida, where he spends his off-seasons." Something holding up the deal, the magazine says, is Vancouver GM Mike Gillis wants a package that includes the Panthers 2010 Entry Draft 19th overall pick, Nick Bjugstad. He's a skilled center from Minnesota and at 6' 4" has size to go with tremendous skating ability. Bjugstad was drafted out of high-school but has excelled in two years at college since. Florida Panthers or Toronto Maple Leafs or... Obviously, without a source being named, it's hard to gauge the accuracy of the report. The magazine is becoming a respected hockey publication, it's been publishing regularly since 2009, and may be loathe to risk a reputation on shoddy research. Luongo played for the Panthers for five seasons, after being traded there by the team that drafted him, the New York Islanders - he played only 24 games with New York - and was popular during a time when the club was not strong. They did not once make the playoffs during his stay but Luongo had a winning record of 35-30-9 in his last season there, the 2005-06 season. The other selling point is that his wife is from Miami and the Luongo family returns there for the summer months. Given Leafs GM Brian Burke said at the junior draft in Pittsburgh that Gillis was asking too much, and Columbus, the Penguins and Tampa Bay have gone in another direction to solve their goaltending needs, The Fourth Period may be on to something. Of course there's always the Chicago Blackhawks....

Read more: http://www.digitaljo...3#ixzz1ylAeywBa

Guest Dasein

If we're going after Bjugstad, with all these centres we've accumulated, it makes you wonder if Kesler will possibly be on the move unless of course Schroeder would be going back the other way.

Archived