The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

If the alternative is paying to dump Lou's contract then I'll take the 8.3 in cap every time. Like he was saying this allows us time and better bartering position, don't see how we lose because I don't think MG was planning to go crazy in free agency or anything.

Only 1 goalie is on the ice on any given night. So either we'll have 5.3 million rotting on the bench one night, or 3+ million rotting on the bench another night when that money can be used on a player that can play every night. Even if we got say Marcel Goc and a 5th round pick for Luongo for example, at least Goc will be helping the team out every night. And while that may not be a fair trade for us in terms of value, a guy like Goc would make the team slightly better than if we had 2 starting goalies when you only need 1.

I understand the cap hit would be bigger if they started with the same overall number. What I'm saying is the overall number and lenght of cotract should have been shorter.

You think that MG would do a 12 year deal again? No chance. The length is and will continue to be the only issue most people have with Lou's contract.

Only 1 goalie is on the ice on any given night. So either we'll have 5.3 million rotting on the bench one night, or 3+ million rotting on the bench another night when that money can be used on a player that can play every night. Even if we got say Marcel Goc and a 5th round pick for Luongo for example, at least Goc will be helping the team out every night. And while that may not be a fair trade for us in terms of value, a guy like Goc would make the team slightly better than if we had 2 starting goalies when you only need 1.

Hence potentially switching Ballard and Komisarek (~4.2 mill contract for each) in a potential Lu deal, both guys are in need of a fresh start, I'd be willing to take kommy if they take Ballard, could benefit both teams

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Elder - Komisarek

Tanev/Garrison - Schultz

Salo

So, Lou signs an 11 year deal and no SCF? Please, by all means, explain.

You must think I don't know Lou is a great goalie.

I'll make it simple. If Luongo had a shorter contract, say . . . 6 years with the same cap hit, I would think the current goaltender situation would be much easier to to resolve. Sign CS to a 3 year deal at 2+ mil (or whatever discount you get by making him the Heir Apparent) and let him become the "tested/proven" goaltender that so many of you think he isn't by being the 1b tender in the tandem. At the end of Lou's contract, let him [Lou] walk or become CS's back-up, because by then CS will be the obvious #1 and the tandem will have run its course.That's all.

Gillis most likely regrets signing Lou for so long by now. I know this because I'm sure he doesn't want to have to be shopping one goalie while trying to protect another. He'd rather be trying to extend CS only. Much less complicated, much less stressful.

Of course, he didn't know CS would turn out to be so god damn good, but if he would have signed Lou to a realistic deal in the first place, the flexibility would have been built in to the situation and he could have run with any number of scenerios, including a tandem.

So, Lou signs an 11 year deal and no SCF? Please, by all means, explain.

You must think I don't know Lou is a great goalie.

I'll make it simple. If Luongo had a shorter contract, say . . . 6 years with the same cap hit, I would think the current goaltender situation would be much easier to to resolve. Sign CS to a 3 year deal at 2+ mil (or whatever discount you get by making him the Heir Apparent) and let him become the "tested/proven" goaltender that so many of you think he isn't by being the 1b tender in the tandem. At the end of Lou's contract, let him [Lou] walk or become CS's back-up, because by then CS will be the obvious #1 and the tandem will have run its course.That's all.

Gillis most likely regrets signing Lou for so long by now. I know this because I'm sure he doesn't want to have to be shopping one goalie while trying to protect another. He'd rather be trying to extend CS only. Much less complicated, much less stressful.

Of course, he didn't know CS would turn out to be so god damn good, but if he would have signed Lou to a realistic deal in the first place, the flexibility would have been built in to the situation and he could have run with any number of scenerios, including a tandem.

I see your point but Luongo's cap hit would never have been 5.3 if it was a 6 year deal. Gillis desperately wanted Luongo to stay with Vancouver and a long term deal was the only way he could keep the cap hit manageable. Luongo may have taken a 6 year deal but the hit may have been around 7 mil or something ridiculous as Luongo was a top goalie at the time.

1) Luongo's cap hit was only cheap BECAUSE it was so long.

2) No way schnieder would be sigining here anyways to play as a tandem. the guy wants (and deserves) a full time job.

3) Like you said, Gillis had no idea that CS would turn out this well

Hey guys, kind of unrelated to all the rumors, but just something I've been thinking about. If a trade was to go down with TOR, whats with all the hate towards Mike Komisarek? I just remember him being a fan fav in MTL and the dude is a 240 lb 6'4" hard hitting stay at home defenseman, wouldn't that be a good fit for us? At this point, I wouldn't be opposed to almost switching Ballard with Komisarek in a potential Lu deal, as I think Ballards smooth skating skill game is better suited on the east coast, and Komisareks big body might be better suited for the west coast type of play. Basically, what has Komisarek done in TOR to warrant all this displeasure with him?

Archived