Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#2881 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Raymond 2.0, no thanks. How did Versteeg do in Philly and Toronto?
Bjustad please.

Versteeg was on a 54pt pace with Toronto...he just didn't fit in well with Philadelphia. Versteeg is way better than Raymond, and would make our top six corp much better.

I wouldn't mind Bjugstad, but he's a few years at the very least from making an impact, and our window is starting to close.

But there's no way Florida would trade Versteeg, they wouldn't have a legit top line afterwards.

#2882 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Raymond 2.0, no thanks. How did Versteeg do in Philly and Toronto?
Bjustad please.

He didn't do well in Philly, but he was a 50+ point player in Chicago, on pace for that in Toronto, and got 53 or 54 in Florida last year. I'd much rather have Versteeg than Raymond.

#2883 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Posting to see first page
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#2884 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

http://www.hockeybuz...8&blogger_id=93

This is about 10 days old, but interesting

What in the heck is going on here? GM Dale Tallon admitted he called Vancouver to kick the tires on Luongo, but really? Is there really a chance he ends up in Florida? Say it ain't so.

What could possibly be the benefit of bringing Luongo and his contract to a Florida team looking to consistent future success? By the time Tallon's Blueprint really hits its stride, Luongo will be 35 years old.

Jose Theodore and Scott Clemmensen combined for a .914 save percentage last year, ranking 9th in the NHL. In 54 starts, Luongo went a solid 31-14-8 with a 2.41 GAA and a .919 save percentage. Panthers starter Jose Theodore went 22-16-11 in 51 starts with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage. The Panthers were quite snakebit with injuries, which surely affected goal support for Theodore. If Florida was luckier with team health Theo's numbers would have been even more solid.

Looking at just straight numbers these two goaltenders weren't that far away from each other. With Luongo making $5.3 million for ten years and Theodore signed for one more year at $1.5 million, obviously the better value is Theodore, especially when you take into account Jacob Markstrom is waiting in the wings.

Therein lies a tough question. Does Florida considering Luongo say they see potential problems in the future regarding Markstrom? Assistant General Manager Mike Santos has said Markstrom might need to stay in San Antonio for another year. No doubt Markstrom will not be happy about this, and since he is in the last year of his entry level contract, he could be set for a trade demand.

Could Luongo be insurance in case Markstrom is somehow lost as an RFA next year or traded? Just the thought of that would send chills down any Florida fan's spine. The odds of this are extremely remote. But with as quiet as the draft and RFA situations are for this Florida team, one has to wonder if Tallon is stirring the pot just to stir it or he sees a potential problem brewing in net.

For all the accolades the Panthers get for being #1 in organizational depth, the one position they are not deep is at goaltender. There is Markstrom, and then everyone else. A Luongo return would smell more of desperation than smarts. When Theodore looks more than capable to hold the fort for another year, whether Clemmensen leaves as a UFA or not, there does not seem to be a need for such a move.

The other question would be what would Florida trade to get Luongo? UFA Jason Garrison's rights would have to be in play, especially with his verbal desire to play there if he doesn't re-up with Florida. But who else? Santorelli? Upshall? Matthias? Skille? Picks? It seems like an awful lot no matter what.

At 33, is Luongo really worth the price for a slight upgrade in net? The Panthers proved they may be closer than people think to contending for a Cup, but they are still at least two years away in all likelihood. For all the good Tallon has done for this organization, he needs to back away from this situation. The salary, the length of contract, and Markstrom should be all that needs to be said to squash this. Trading valuable assets would make it even worse.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2885 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

I heard Roberto Luongo was just on cfox radio station and said "it's been a great 6 years, but it's time to move on".

#2886 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

In case nobody has listened, Luongo has officially asked for a trade through the radio in his first interview since the end of the season. That's not Team 1040, but 99.3 the Fox.

Any slim hope that he would not be traded before has now been swept away. Cory Schneider will continue to be the starter for Vancouver.

As for teams, well, he lives in Florida, so his first preference is obviously there. Asked about Blackhawks and said it's highly unlikely Vancouver would move him there. Gillis has yet to approach him about specifics, but they've come to a mutual understanding that 'it's time to move on', and Gillis is obviously working on a deal.

No mention of TO except that Steve Nash left money on the table to play elsewhere.

Tampa Bay might still be an option, but we'll see. Somewhere in the southeast is most likely. Family reasons. He never wanted to leave Florida.

Connecting the dots, all these rumours about Luongo back to Florida being pretty much a done deal appear to be true.

It would appear that Luongo is trying to force a deal. He weakened Gillis' position today.

"Baaaaaa!"
Posted Image

#2887 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Y'know... I'm fine with Luongo going back to Florida. It was TO i had a big problem with. Glad to see that TO isn't even on his radar.
Posted Image

#2888 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Luongo has asked to be traded all along. Anybody that didn't believe that was just ignoring all the facts.

#2889 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

I heard Roberto Luongo was just on cfox radio station and said "it's been a great 6 years, but it's time to move on".

Sounds like the deal is nearly finished. Expect more news soon.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#2890 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hmm.. the fact that Luongo has been quiet up until this point, but has come out and said this now, makes me think there must be a deal in principle in place with Florida. I don't think he would have come out and said this lessening the little leverage Gillis had, w/o there being something. He's stayed quiet up until this point, so something must be brewing.

edit: Accidentally quoted Special Ed

Edited by arsenalian, 06 July 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#2891 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hey Samjam... You've just been punked, fool.
Posted Image

#2892 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm interested to hearr hockeyy insiderr's take on thiss.

:bigblush:

#2893 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm interested to hearr hockeyy insiderr's take on thiss.

:bigblush:

pppffffftttt.
twitter sister is the best source on the interwebz.

#2894 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like its about done, if Lu himself says its time to move on... Hoping really bad for FLA's first rounder next draft. It could be a good one I think - FLA's season last year looked a little flukey IMO. Them and the Jets look to be the weakest team in that divion.

#2895 NucksCelts

NucksCelts

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Luongo was on CFOX in las Vegas this morning. They asked him if he will play in a Vancouver jersey again. Said he doesn't want to say never but not likely. He had a great 6 years but it's time to move on. He enjoys a hockey market, and has to go to a team that can win a cup. There was more to it. But anybody who thinks he isn't gone, he is. Gillis told him Schneider is the guy now, and luongo said him and gillis made a mutual decision luongos time is gone here.

#2896 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Anywhere we can verify this?
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#2897 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

They're playing it again in 45mins. But expect all media outlets to have their stories out soon.

It's official: Luongo wants out.

Prepare for a cap dump-type trade, imo. (Realistically, it was all we could ever hope for.)

Baaaaaa!
Posted Image

#2898 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/search/luongo

#2899 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

pppffffftttt.
twitter sister is the best source on the interwebz.

This is true.

#2900 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Luongo: “It’s been a great six years, but it’s time to move on”

How quickly can things change in sports?

Here’s what Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said less than three years ago after signing his franchise goalie to a 12-year contract extension:

“Today is a very exciting day for the Canucks organization. Roberto Luongo is the leader of our hockey team; he is in the prime of his playing career and has a tremendous desire to make the Canucks a championship team. His leadership, competitiveness and character are what this team will represent for many years to come.”

And here’s what Luongo reportedly said today on Vancouver radio:

“It’s been a great six years, but it’s time to move on.”

If there was any doubt he was on his way out, that should put a stop to it.

So far as potential trading partners, Florida seems to have emerged as the favorite to land Luongo; however, one could easily argue the Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets have more pressing goaltending concerns. Whether he’d waive his no-trade clause to go to Toronto or Columbus isn’t clear though.

But was Luongo’s willingness to say “it’s time to move on” a sign a deal is imminent?

This article says Vancouver radio. There's nothing about Las Vegas.

Edited by 7thMan, 06 July 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#2901 CDeM85

CDeM85

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

The Interview was conducted in Las Vegas, by 99.3 FM Vancouver.

#2902 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

[/size][/font][/color][/left]

This article says Vancouver radio. There's nothing about Las Vegas.

There's an amazing new invention that allows people to communicate over long distances.

(Luongo is in Vegas for the World Series of Poker if you didn't know)

Edited by JustJokinen!, 06 July 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#2903 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Should be interesting how TSN, ESPN, Fox and Yahoo Sports spin a couple questions posed in that interview. In particular, whether he pees in the shower or not, or whether he is cut or not cut.

Baaaaaaah!
Posted Image

#2904 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Jason Botchford reports there's speculation the Canucks would insist on Jose Theodore being part of the return if they were to ship Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers. Theodore has a limited NTC which lists ten teams he can be dealt to without waiving his clause, but the Canucks aren't on that list.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Sure, the Panthers could threaten to make Theodore their number three unless he accepts a trade, but if, as the piece suggests, he didn't get along with current Canucks goalie coach Rollie Melanson during their days together in Montreal, that threat might not work.

Botchford is a drama knob, always turned up to 10. He should go back to the Toronto Sun.

#2905 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Theodore's NTC is a total non-issue as Clemmensen doesn't have one.
Posted Image

#2906 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

CFox Luongo interview on again now.
Posted Image

#2907 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

never had the trade conversation with Gillis

interviewers suggested that at least he won't go to Columbus - "don't want to talk specifics...there's a lot of stuff going on"

"that was to be expected [Cory signing] there"

"we all know what's going on, we've all seen what's developed"

"I've never had a negative encounter face to face" in Vancouver.

"a great market to play in."

#2908 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

"Mike Richards is a dick."

"I like to play in a hockey market."

"Lot's of cities that are great to play in. Up to other teams, Canucks, and me on deciding where i want to go."

"Contract is a handicap as far as deciding where i can go."

"Florida is obviously where i'd like to go. But at the end of the day it's hockey."

"Time to move on. Mutual understanding."
Posted Image

#2909 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

"Florida is definitely one of the spots i'd like to go."

"No decision has had to be made yet (as far as teams)."

"Mike is working on it."
Posted Image

#2910 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Roberto - I hate to say this, team Canada team-mate - Richards is the biggest dick on LA.

playing in a hockey market is my preference - Florida anonymity is nice, but as a player you want to play in a hockey market.

Florida is home in the offseason, family there - but Luongo not narrowing any options.

"not a lot of years left in my career, even though I have a long contract."

it's within my rights [to refuse a trade], but mutual decision that it's time to move on.

Florida is one of the places he'd be willing to go [again not tipping his or MG's hand].

So many different ways to look at the trade.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.