Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4386 replies to this topic

#2911 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

The interview has been edited, btw. Part where he likes anonymity of Florida is out. Part of ripping TO as a destination is also out. (Unless it was there still and i missed it.)
Posted Image

#2912 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

http://soundcloud.co...show-vs-roberto
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#2913 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

People have suggested that this interview reduces MG's bargaining position - I disagree entirely - Luongo not only left it open where he could be traded - but perhaps most importantly, he very clearly suggested that the term of his contract is a formality that is not as important as it may seem.

"not a lot of years left in my career, even though I have a long contract."

#2914 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well this thread has life again.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#2915 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

People have suggested that this interview reduces MG's bargaining position - I disagree entirely - Luongo not only left it open where he could be traded - but perhaps most importantly, he very clearly suggested that the term of his contract is a formality that is not as important as it may seem.

"not a lot of years left in my career, even though I have a long contract."

Indeed. Aside from the open admission that it's time to move, he actually may have opened up some opportunities with those other quotes.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#2916 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm still hoping for a Lu for Bobby Ryan deal, although I think he's Miami bound.

#2917 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

So did he say that he wouldn't turn down a trade to Columbus?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2918 vannuxforlife

vannuxforlife

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

he didn't blatantly say no and said there were a lot of factors obviously but he does have say in going somewhere he'd like to go so I doubt he'd go to columbus.

#2919 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Last page

#2920 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Bwahaha - "Mike Richards is a dick".

Hey Lu...tell me how you really feel.

That is gold!!!

#2921 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not directly. Columbus was mentioned in a "At least you're not going to..." kind of way, and Lu brushed it off saying he'd rather not talk specifics; there's a lot going on. Later in the interview he suggested that he may not exercise his veto, necessarily. Also said he's got more contract than hockey left.

#2922 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

he didn't blatantly say no and said there were a lot of factors obviously but he does have say in going somewhere he'd like to go so I doubt he'd go to columbus.

On top of this, he said hockey market. He also said Florida would be nice (Southeast in general). Based on that, my guess would be he prefers a hockey market first, if he can't get that he'd want to go back to the Southeast. It's hard to imagine Columbus as a hockey market or a Southeast destination, so, although not impossible, not very likely. At all.

Edited by Vansicle, 06 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#2923 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

That is gold!!!

Mike Richards has always struck me as an arrogant dick. Nice to hear I was half right.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#2924 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

That interview was a carefully timed, and chosen way for Roberto Luongo to get his voice heard in the trade situation. He admits that he doesn't talk to Gillis, there has been NO talk of any trade options or trades put across for him to approve or not.

Luongo is saying "Get'er Done Gillis" - And now it's time for Gillis to reply and trade him.

Posted Image

Schroeder

#2925 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

That is gold!!!

I'm surprised he didn't say that during the series against La. He seems to like giving other teams bulletin board material...

Posted Image

#2926 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Indeed. Aside from the open admission that it's time to move, he actually may have opened up some opportunities with those other quotes.

yeah - he not only opened the possibilities, but he also increased his trade value by taking the lowball/salary dump card out of people's hand based upon the term of his contract alone.

#2927 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

If (when) a deal gets done, I have a feeling it is definitely not going to be for a week or so. Lu is at the WSP tournament right now, and based on the interview he seemed pretty focused on poker/took the tournament quite seriously.

He is a competitive guy and probably wants to focus on the tournament at hand. I imagine he is not interested in fielding questions from Gillis or his agent, nor is he interested in talks about where he would like to be traded/consider waiving his NTC.

If a deal is going to get done, it will be after the tournament.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#2928 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

That interview was a carefully timed, and chosen way for Roberto Luongo to get his voice heard in the trade situation. He admits that he doesn't talk to Gillis, there has been NO talk of any trade options or trades put across for him to approve or not.

Luongo is saying "Get'er Done Gillis" - And now it's time for Gillis to reply and trade him.

The way I look at it is the opposite. To me this is Gillis saying to Luongo: "If you want a trade, you're gonna have to go out there and do some work yourself"

Don't you find it strange that he has been completely silent up until this point? And then reports come out that trade talks really aren't going anywhere with teams, and all of a sudden this comes out.

This is Luongo saying to other teams, that he's open to be traded to any hockey market that has a chance to win. And he's trying to make his contract more appealing by basically saying that he doesn't plan on playing the full amount of it.

I think this could bring at least a couple more teams into the trade mix. And at the same time, maybe press Florida a little harder.

Posted Image

#2929 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

to keep the Richards is a dick comment in context - the interviewers asked who the biggest dick on the Kings is - I think they were implying Brown... Lu offered that it was his team Canada team-mate...
he didn't say Richards is a dick - he said he's the biggest one on the Kings.
this could be interpreted in more ways than one. :lol:

Edited by oldnews, 06 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#2930 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Mike Richards has always struck me as an arrogant dick. Nice to hear I was half right.

You don't think he's arrogant?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2931 GMantooth

GMantooth

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

If (when) a deal gets done, I have a feeling it is definitely not going to be for a week or so. Lu is at the WSP tournament right now, and based on the interview he seemed pretty focused on poker/took the tournament quite seriously.

He is a competitive guy and probably wants to focus on the tournament at hand. I imagine he is not interested in fielding questions from Gillis or his agent, nor is he interested in talks about where he would like to be traded/consider waiving his NTC.

If a deal is going to get done, it will be after the tournament.

This was originally my thought after hearing the hockeyinsider thing of 48-72 hrs was posted. But unless this interview was prerecorded I don't see the fact that he is playing poker to be an issue here. He just sounds like he wants this to be over.

Edited by GMantooth, 06 July 2012 - 12:41 PM.

"I think it's time to move on." RL1 @GrizzlyMantooth"It was what it was." TB44

#2932 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

You don't think he's arrogant?

He does, it just wasn't confirmed by Lu.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#2933 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

This was originally my thought after hearing the hockeyinsider thing of 48-72 hrs was posted. But unless this interview was prerecorded I don't see the fact that he is playing poker to be an issue here. He just sounds like he wants this to be over.

He doesn't want even more media attention while he's playing poker. It's not the trade that would distract him, it's the multitude of cameras that would be in his face.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#2934 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,885 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

The way I look at it is the opposite. To me this is Gillis saying to Luongo: "If you want a trade, you're gonna have to go out there and do some work yourself"

Don't you find it strange that he has been completely silent up until this point? And then reports come out that trade talks really aren't going anywhere with teams, and all of a sudden this comes out.

This is Luongo saying to other teams, that he's open to be traded to any hockey market that has a chance to win. And he's trying to make his contract more appealing by basically saying that he doesn't plan on playing the full amount of it.

I think this could bring at least a couple more teams into the trade mix. And at the same time, maybe press Florida a little harder.

I would agree with this...........that interview increases his value to other teams, not decreases it.

#2935 GMantooth

GMantooth

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

He doesn't want even more media attention while he's playing poker. It's not the trade that would distract him, it's the multitude of cameras that would be in his face.

there is a difference between answering calls from your BOSS and talking to media voluntarily. there is no way he is not answering his phone is what I am saying. They may not announce anything until after, but that is a different story.

"I think it's time to move on." RL1 @GrizzlyMantooth"It was what it was." TB44

#2936 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

This. As per the interview, the rounds start at noon and can go until 1230am. That is a marathon. Lu, and I'm sure any other person at the event, would not want the multitude of distractions that would come with an announcement of a trade.

#2937 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

there is a difference between answering calls from your BOSS and talking to media voluntarily. there is no way he is not answering his phone is what I am saying. They may not announce anything until after, but that is a different stogry.

Media wouldn't be calling and politely asking for an interview. They know where he is and would be jamming cameras in his face repeatedly. If anything, I'm sure Luongo would rather know where he's going so he can stop thinking about it.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#2938 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Then why do the interview now?
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#2939 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Luongo doesn't control when he's traded guys...

#2940 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Then why do the interview now?

There's a difference between one pre-approved interview that was largely about poker and a bunch of reporters jumping all over the guy.

Edited by Number14, 06 July 2012 - 01:01 PM.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.