The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Canucks look at moving up in draft, Roberto Luongo at moving out

It will be interesting to see what we are offered for Luongo. If few teams are interested, and those that are are offering virtually nothing, what does that say about his perceiced value. Maybe the NHL doesn't see him as an elite goalie anymore....maybe our fans over rate him. Maybe Schneider does go, because no one wants Lou.....Will be an interesting 9 days or so........

An elite level goaltender is one that makes the clutch save when the team needs it most and steals games for the team. Ask yourself this: has Luongo been this goaltender over the past 2-3 years?

Luongo had great numbers last year but consider how well the team played in front of him. Vancouver led the league in goals and allowed the fewest against. In spite of this Luongo was probably the 3rd best goalie stat-wise in the league.

Luongo is a good, maybe even great goalie but he's NOT elite.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Whatever. Canucks fans are just so spoiled. I wasn't at all a fan of some of the stunts Luongo has pulled in the playoffs over the years but I still have enough of a level head to respect Luongo for what he truly is: a top 7 or so netminder in the game and one of the best of the last decade. A few meltdowns in the playoffs, no matter how critical, absolutely do not define him, nor deminish his status as an elite goaltender.

I hope he gets the respect he deserves wherever he is traded. He is treated like crap here by the possibly the most idiotic and irrational fanbase in the entire NHL.

Archived