The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Canucks look at moving up in draft, Roberto Luongo at moving out

Whatever. Canucks fans are just so spoiled. I wasn't at all a fan of some of the stunts Luongo has pulled in the playoffs over the years but I still have enough of a level head to respect Luongo for what he truly is: a top 7 or so netminder in the game and one of the best of the last decade. A few meltdowns in the playoffs, no matter how critical, absolutely do not define him, nor deminish his status as an elite goaltender.

I hope he gets the respect he deserves wherever he is traded. He is treated like crap here by the possibly the most idiotic and irrational fanbase in the entire NHL.

The meltdowns against Chicago were the worst part of it. At least he got some offense to back him up and wasn't good enough. Against Boston, it doesn't matter how well he could have/should have played, the offense wasn't there in the first place and the chances of winning were virtually zero.

Game 7 OT 2011 playoffs on Sharp.

Several times in the tight games against Boston.

Also. YouTube is your friend. Luongo was the Canucks MVP last year.

I think you have Luongo mixed up the fleury and bruzgalov during the playoffs this year.

Guest gumballthechewy

haha I totally feel the same way. I call it 'Half Christmas' which I stole from workaholics...

tumblr_ll8qk9LfsW1qd1ucjo1_400.gif

Blind luongo lovers are quick to say Playoff losses were not his fault but rather a team thing, but also quick to give him all the credit for playoff success. You have to realize we've had a great team the past couple years and other goaltenders would also have had success playing in front of our team. In my opinion we have to go with the younger, cheaper and arguably better goalie, the goalie who was usually the star even when we were getting blown out

You are cherry picking examples to prove a point - anyone can do that and it makes for a poor argument. Here are counter-examples to every one of your points:

1) There's no way that series should have gone 7 games. Luongo was an absolute sieve in games 4 and 5.

2) You're really going to cite Boston as an example of Luongo being clutch? He was, at best, bipolar in that series.

3) Canucks MVP - as voted on by the team. So what? Was he voted MVP by the media or players? No.

Look, you need to understand that I'm not trashing Luongo. He's a good goalie but not elite. When a game is on the line how confident are you that Luongo is going to make the big save?

I'd love Luongo to have a rebound year next year and return to the goalie he was when he first came to Vancouver.

Blind luongo lovers are quick to say Playoff losses were not his fault but rather a team thing, but also quick to give him all the credit for playoff success. You have to realize we've had a great team the past couple years and other goaltenders would also have had success playing in front of our team. In my opinion we have to go with the younger, cheaper and arguably better goalie, the goalie who was usually the star even when we were getting blown out

he was a sieve in Games 4 and 5 of the Chicago series. And lights out in games 1, 2, 6, and the most important game of all 7. In the Boston series he just could pull out a 4 game. He wouldve had to have been absolutely perfect to out duel Thomas, (see games 1, 2 and 5).

I dont blame Luongo for the Boston loss (not entirely anyway) Thomas was a machine. The Canucks werent even playing that badly (35 shots a game aver) but you could see their inability to find a weakness wore on them. But had Luongo managed to keep the game close in any one of the losses it might have turned out differently (see games 1, 2 and 6)

I would like you to list whom you consider Elite goaltenders in this league. Thomas, Quick..they both have Cups...but so does Niemi. Lundquvist, Rinne, Elliot, Smith? All great goaltenders but havent helped their team get anywhere in the playoffs. All of them other than Smith has a very good team in front of them defensively.

I would bet for the right price, a good number of teams in this league would swap out there current starter for Luongo, and he take most bubble teams in this league into the playoffs.

So, ,who is Elite in this league?

An elite level goaltender is one that makes the clutch save when the team needs it most and steals games for the team. Ask yourself this: has Luongo been this goaltender over the past 2-3 years?

Luongo had great numbers last year but consider how well the team played in front of him. Vancouver led the league in goals and allowed the fewest against. In spite of this Luongo was probably the 3rd best goalie stat-wise in the league.

Luongo is a good, maybe even great goalie but he's NOT elite.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

You and I both know that Broduer played himself out of the number 1 role. The general consensus (outside of Vancouver) is that Luongo won because of the team in front of him. Or did you forget the goal he let in in the dying seconds to tie the game?

he was a sieve in Games 4 and 5 of the Chicago series. And lights out in games 1, 2, 6, and the most important game of all 7. In the Boston series he just could pull out a 4 game. He wouldve had to have been absolutely perfect to out duel Thomas, (see games 1, 2 and 5).

I dont blame Luongo for the Boston loss (not entirely anyway) Thomas was a machine. The Canucks werent even playing that badly (35 shots a game aver) but you could see their inability to find a weakness wore on them. But had Luongo managed to keep the game close in any one of the losses it might have turned out differently (see games 1, 2 and 6)

I would like you to list whom you consider Elite goaltenders in this league. Thomas, Quick..they both have Cups...but so does Niemi. Lundquvist, Rinne, Elliot, Smith? All great goaltenders but havent helped their team get anywhere in the playoffs. All of them other than Smith has a very good team in front of them defensively.

I would bet for the right price, a good number of teams in this league would swap out there current starter for Luongo, and he take most bubble teams in this league into the playoffs.

So, ,who is Elite in this league?

Archived