b3.

Brendan Gaunce Talk

4,179 posts in this topic

Don't get your hopes up, King probably thinks Gaunce is the next Jay McClement.

Is it wrong that I wouldn't mind Gaunce turning into a Jay McClement type player?

(Obviously not ideal though, and moreso Jay McClement while he was on STL than on COL)

Edited by Jägermeister

Is it wrong that I wouldn't mind Gaunce turning into a Jay McClement type player?

(Obviously not ideal though, and moreso Jay McClement while he was on STL than on COL)

I think i want a little more from a 1st round pick

I think i want a little more from a 1st round pick

With a pick after 20th overall, I'm happy with landing a full-time NHLer (which is far from a guarantee for all teams, let alone the Canucks).

It's surprising what % of players picked after 20th overall in the 1st round actually go on to have a decent NHL career.

Using 250 games as a mark between the 2000-2004 drafts, and 100 games for the 2005 and 2006 draft (more recent drafts are too early to tell still for many prospects), only 59.7% of players picked from 20th-30th Overall have gone on to have a "successful" career.

Edited by Jägermeister

I would think the absolute minimum would be Jay McClement at his best, not the player he has been recently.

I still hope for and expect more.

Gaunce with a goal today against the Petes, 14 left in the third.

Gaunce with a goal today against the Petes, 14 left in the third.

4 goals and 4 assists in his last 5 games.

Not too shabby.

He's also on the front page of the OHL website for being player of the week.

Edited by DeNiro

4 goals and 4 assists in his last 5 games.

Not too shabby.

He's also on the front page of the OHL website for being player of the week.

bro he didn't even get an invite to team Canada he's clearly terrible along with all our other prospects. ..just ask mr. reputable

bro he didn't even get an invite to team Canada he's clearly terrible along with all our other prospects. ..just ask mr. reputable

Wasnt't Gaunce injuried during that time that lose his chance at the world junior

Wasnt't Gaunce injuried during that time that lose his chance at the world junior

he was injured amd back in the linup before camp. but his injury was a black mark on his season. I have to believe if he didn't hurt his shoulder he would have at least earned an invite. I hope you know I was joking in my other post... I love that we drafted this kid

double post

Edited by TruCanuck

Yup, he missed two months and his slow start wasn't enough to get an invite.

Horrible: 100% bust entire draft years. Of which Nonis has one or two and the Canucks have far too many. While overhyped, the current regime hasn't had horrible drafting.

Btw. Being able to sign Lack and Tanev is a positive, not a negative aspect of this organization. Not that you meant it as negative, but this post was, so...

The current regime has a horrible drafting record so far IMO but it is still VERY early to judge. Tanev and Lack are good prospects but were signings, not draft picks. Nonis was on the road to having a fantastic drafting record until 2007. I liked most of GIllis picks at the time - the problem is mostly development and bad luck.

Price and McNally have NHL potential but it will be hard to gauge until they turn pro. Polasek, Connauton and Sauve have an awesome package of size, speed, skill and toughness but their development seems to be going sideways or downwards.

Rodin was a gamble that could have paid off but the Wolves have veteran undersized scoring forwards with a solid AHL resume (Sterling, Gordon, Haydar and Ebbett) who take away top 6 playing time from Sweatt and Rodin.

If we come into cap issues next season. There will be a need to ice our younger cheaper players.

Malhotra, Raymond and maybe even Higgins could be gone from our bottom six.

The benefit of drafting bigger gritty players is they can usually step in on the 4th line and be effective.

Mallet, Gaunce, Archibald, Sweatt, Friesen and Rodin would be battling for 3rd/4th line duties.

Schroeder and Jensen for top 9 roles.

Kassian is an NHL ready physical forward with skill.

Corrado, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Price, Andersson battling for Alberts/Joslin's impending departure.

L.A showcased it last season. Dwight King and Jordan Nolan were two young physical forwards that came up from the farm and provided amazing energy and enthusiasm to what was a dull team.

Voynov a 21 year old d-man and Alec Martinez both stepped in and were great on defense for the Kings.

I see similar attributes in our prospects. Not so much flash and dash(leave that to our superstars) but players that just get the job done.

dasein missed one more major argument, the fact that he was injured..

If we come into cap issues next season. There will be a need to ice our younger cheaper players.

Malhotra, Raymond and maybe even Higgins could be gone from our bottom six.

The benefit of drafting bigger gritty players is they can usually step in on the 4th line and be effective.

Mallet, Gaunce, Archibald, Sweatt, Friesen and Rodin would be battling for 3rd/4th line duties.

Schroeder and Jensen for top 9 roles.

Kassian is an NHL ready physical forward with skill.

Corrado, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Price, Andersson battling for Alberts/Joslin's impending departure.

L.A showcased it last season. Dwight King and Jordan Nolan were two young physical forwards that came up from the farm and provided amazing energy and enthusiasm to what was a dull team.

Voynov a 21 year old d-man and Alec Martinez both stepped in and were great on defense for the Kings.

I see similar attributes in our prospects. Not so much flash and dash(leave that to our superstars) but players that just get the job done.

I agree, our prospect pool isn't loaded with future superstar offensive players. But they're all two way players who have the characteristics that work in the playoffs.

4th line possiblity could be. Gaunce-Mallet-Pinizotto. Big, tough, talented and responsible defensively,

I agree, our prospect pool isn't loaded with future superstar offensive players. But they're all two way players who have the characteristics that work in the playoffs.

4th line possiblity could be. Gaunce-Mallet-Pinizotto. Big, tough, talented and responsible defensively,

you have gaunce on the 4th line??? he's much too talented to be on that line, or do you mean this season? he's not eligible to be recalled to camp i believe, I think only Corrado was on the list submitted to the chl.

you have gaunce on the 4th line??? he's much too talented to be on that line, or do you mean this season? he's not eligible to be recalled to camp i believe, I think only Corrado was on the list submitted to the chl.

hes also got 3 centers on the 4th line.

who do you all suggestive we should have taken instead of Gaunce, the only player that comes to mind would be Samuellson from the WHL. I was hopping we picked him, but Gillis went more for character. Samuellson plays wing and center so we could have developed him as a centre

Before the draft, I thought that Samuelsson would've been a great choice. Only problem is his suspensions. But hey, another reason for the bruins to hate us, why not eh?

But with Gaunce available that late in the first round, he was clearly the better choice. I, along with many other people, were thinking he would go late teens, early twenties. I wasn't home during the Canucks draft choice, and I was giddy with excitement when I got home to see that we had Gaunce. I had barely any thought that he would still be available to us.

So first he had 5 Points in 2 games and now he has 10 points in 4 games, he is quickly getting back to the PPG mark, hopefully he can reach it again, he had a tough start to the year, but now he is rebounding quite well.

I think he has a great chance of being on the WJ team if he doesn't crack our line-up.