b3.

Brendan Gaunce Talk

No way he makes this team.

We will hopefully re-sign Roy - if not, look for us to get a veteran 3rd line center. With Lapierre holding down the 4th line center role, Gaunce won't make this team until he starts playing like a 3rd line center.

"Never say never"

I can definitely see him at least getting a handful of games before being sent to junior.

6-8 Minutes in the NHL is like 20 Mins in Junior in terms of growing as a player.

i'm not expecting him to make our team at least within the next year. Leave him in the minors and let him develop.

He has to stay in the Juniors for another year first.

Gaunce has another assist through one period of play, as Belleville leads Sudbury 2-0. The Bulls are looking good to sweep the series tonight.

Oh, and if anybody wants to see Gaunce's two goals from last game, they're both pretty sweet. One was on a breakaway, the other a nice wrister coming down the wing.

http://www.bellevillebulls.com/video/index/id/5fb689ca1fc9cc4d56798db03385b3f3

Skip to 1:55 to see them, one's right after the other.

Belleville's off to the OHL Eastern Conference Finals! They beat Sudbury 5-0 tonight in a fight-filled, rather ugly game and swept the series 4-0. Gaunce had one assist and is 5-11-16 in 10 games so far, 3rd in league playoff scoring.

Belleville will meet Barrie in the conference finals, Game 1 TBA depending on what happens in the West.

Thanks for the updates. Nice goals indeed and he seems to have decent speed.

I think that this is the first time in years that I'll be excited for training camp, hopefully some decent competition for a change. I'll admit that I was seeing shades of Nathan Smith and Patrick White when they drafted Brendan. Fingers crossed that he continues to improve and impress. Good luck in the finals!

Thanks for the updates. Nice goals indeed and he seems to have decent speed.

For real. If that's poor skating then I hope all of our prospects get pegged for poor skating. Strong strides too and it looks like he uses a defensemen stick almost.

• Upvote 1

For real. If that's poor skating then I hope all of our prospects get pegged for poor skating. Strong strides too and it looks like he uses a defensemen stick almost.

I guess he got tagged with the crappy skater label early in his junior career and he's been working on it because I don't see it...at the junior level anyway.

Whatever, he'll be faster next year. he seems like a good kid with a great attitude and some serious upside.

Guest Dasein

edit

Edited by Dasein

Guest Dasein

"Never say never"

I can definitely see him at least getting a handful of games before being sent to junior.

6-8 Minutes in the NHL is like 20 Mins in Junior in terms of growing as a player.

I will say never because he is not coming on this team to play 6-8 minutes.

Why?

Because Lapierre is not a 3rd line center, and having Gaunce play 6-8 minutes would force Lapierre to play 11-15 minutes. That is not what we want. We want Lapierre on the 4th line, where he is one of the best in the business. As a 3rd line center, he is average at best. We want someone like Roy who can produce on the 3rd line.

So if Gaunce isn't producing offense and playing 11-15 minutes, he's not making this team.

So he won't be on the team next year.

"Never say never"

Sorry play boy... but its not. Not even close. 6 minute game your barely breaking a sweat. 7 minutes of ice time is not ideal for developing 19 or 20 year olds.

Sorry play boy... but its not. Not even close. 6 minute game your barely breaking a sweat. 7 minutes of ice time is not ideal for developing 19 or 20 year olds.

Well, to be fair, he did mentioned only a handful of games, meaning just before the ELC kicks in.

Allows the player to notice the difference in speed/physicality/competition between junior and the NHL, thus he knows where he stands and where he needs to improve.

There's no substitute for NHL experience, so anything in the majors is much better than whatever he will get in junior.

What is the rule on playing in Europe in a pro men's league, like Jensen did this year? Was he only able to do it because of his European heritage? I think with Gaunce's size, the sooner he can play against bigger, more seasoned competition the better.

What is the rule on playing in Europe in a pro men's league, like Jensen did this year? Was he only able to do it because of his European heritage? I think with Gaunce's size, the sooner he can play against bigger, more seasoned competition the better.

Jensen was an import player he was drafted in the import draft after growing up and playing in European leagues.

Gaunce has nothing left to learn in junior. I've been watching him walk all over sudbury this year. The whole team plays like men. I've been impressed with him. He reminds me of kesler so much.

I think he has the same skill set but more maturity. I don't see him getting as involved in stupid chirping or scrums like kes used to.

I want to see Corrado's effect on his maturity and leadership skills. If I am canucks management I'd keep those two together all the time.

I will say never because he is not coming on this team to play 6-8 minutes.

Why?

Because Lapierre is not a 3rd line center, and having Gaunce play 6-8 minutes would force Lapierre to play 11-15 minutes. That is not what we want. We want Lapierre on the 4th line, where he is one of the best in the business. As a 3rd line center, he is average at best. We want someone like Roy who can produce on the 3rd line.

So if Gaunce isn't producing offense and playing 11-15 minutes, he's not making this team.

So he won't be on the team next year.

You have a good chance of being wrong if you say never. Gaunce plays a mans game already and he should be able to secure a few games at the NHL level after pre-season.

For those interested (and why wouldn't you be?) I think a few of the Barrie/Brampton games will be televised. My guide has game 1 tonight on SportsnetOne at 4pm. I think game 5 next Friday, April 26 will be televised as well, on SportsnetOne again.

Edited by elvis15

A couple of preview write ups for the Barrie/Brampton Eastern conference final:

http://www.ontarioho...-preview/142765

The two losses in the opening round were an eye-opener for the Bulls and captain Brendan Gaunce said that they have learned from that mistake.

"Keeping our head on straight is as important as it's ever been," said Gaunce, a first round pick of the Vancouver Canucks. "We need to work hard during the play and be smart between the whistles in this series. I think both teams have guys who can dish out the physical game and we'll be looking to do so in a clean fashion."

http://www.sportsnet...inal-sportsnet/

The Vancouver Canucks obtained a solid prospect with last year’s first-round pick in Bulls captain Brendan Gaunce. Like Scheifele, Gaunce has recorded 16 points so far in the playoffs as his burgeoning leadership qualities come to the fore.

“I’m more of a leader by example, but if I have to be, I can be a vocal leader,” he said. “At the same time, I think my first progression and first instinct is to lead by example.”

WHAT’S AT STAKE: Both teams come into this meeting having won their first game of the previous two series. In Barrie’s case, their come from behind, overtime win in Game 1 against Oshawa in the last round set the tempo for what would be a stunning series sweep.

“Everybody’s excited to get into Game 1 and get the series going,” Hawerchuk [Colts coach] said. “As much as we’re looking forward to it, I’m sure Belleville is as well.”

“I expect both teams will be hungry and ready to play,” Burnett [bulls coach and GM] added. “When you play back-to-back in your own building, it’s critically important that you start well. We’ve worked hard all year long to have that home-ice advantage and it’s something that we wanted to take advantage of and make sure that we’re finding ways to succeed out of the gate early in the series.”

Edited by elvis15

I was just talking to a buddy the other day about Dale Hawerchuk. He was an awesome player and it is nice to see him building a coaching career. I hope he makes his back to the big league.

Gaunce is looking like a great draft pick and may even end up better than many of the selections before him. He sounds similar to a (dare I say) Trevor Linden kind of person and player.

Who's the favourite to win this match?