#331 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

He's on fire.

For being injured previously and being on a bad team, he actually hasn't been that bad offensively.

zackass.png

#332 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

The Bulls are not a bad team. They are 2nd in their conference. What they are is a defensive focused team, that plays very structured hockey, excels on the PK and is leading the league in PK%. They are a low scoring team because of that. There is an ongoing joke that the coach likes to stifle offensive creativity and playing at a high-tempo.

I watched both of Gaunce's games this weekend. Probably the best i've seen Gaunce play. He was a force at both ends of the ice. Dominant on the faceoff dot and excellent on the PK. He was active with his stick and blocking passing lanes on the PK, but perhaps the best part of his PK is winning that first draw to clear the puck and waste time. Only when he was off the PK, did the other team score or get prime scoring chances. Also, there was an article about the Bulls PK and how everyone buys into the system and their shot blocking mentality. Gaunce was very willing to get in front of the shots. His defensive positioning is very mature.

Offensively, he was creating scoring chances with his good vision, made some nice passing plays that his linemates could not handle. Scored yesterday in front of the net on the PP, he pushed off the defender, received a pass and dangled forehand backhand. Tonight he scored by finding open space next to the net to deflect a point shot into the net. He made two memorable hits this weekend. One was when an opponent was jamming away at his goaltender after the whistle, pushed him over behind the net and kept pushing him down until the ref came over. Tonight he was forechecking and ran over a defender, knocking him on his back. Another time, Gaunce had the puck going up ice, had a opponent draped over him and just shrugged him off and continued along his way.

If this is how he plays on a regular basis, there's reason to be happy. Was very deserving of the 1st stars for both nights.

The knock on Gaunce at the draft was his skating ability. I don't see it as a problem at this level, but i didn't think Archibald's skating was an issue in the OHL either, but it gave him issues in his first pro year. Gaunce will have to improve his acceleration over the next few off-seasons for a smoother transition to the pro level, everything else in his game is there.

#333 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,405 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

^^ Yea he's on a great defensive team that's going to help him become an elite two-way player, which is an aspect of his game that seems quite well developed.

People say he's on a bad team because they don't have alot of high end offensive talent, which is true. And they have relied on Subban quite a bit. But it's the system that the team employs that makes them so successful. And also makes them the lowest scoring team in the league.

But ultimately it will make Gaunce better suited for the next level. Because the thing most players struggle with at the next level is their defensive games. He'll have already had 4 years in the OHL perfecting that aspect. His offensive game is something that can be developed more at the AHL level.

Edited by DeNiro, 29 December 2012 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#334 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

albeit slower and less skilled.

Edit: wow, that sounded douchey. Who knows? I would almost WORSHIP Gillis if he turned into a new Toews.

Dude, I'd build a shrine of Gillis if Gaunce turned into Toews.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#335 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Dude, I'd build a shrine of Gillis if Gaunce turned into Toews.

Don't get your hopes up, King probably thinks Gaunce is the next Jay McClement.

And since he knows more about our prospects than any of us (Even though he doesn't follow them at all) We should take his opinion to heart.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 December 2012 - 11:51 PM.

zackass.png

#336 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Don't get your hopes up, King probably thinks Gaunce is the next Manny Malhotra, who is useless in Kings eyes.

And since he knows more about our prospects than any of us (Even though he doesn't follow them at all) We should take his opinion to heart.

Oh I know. Because King's opinion matters more than anyone else's right?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#337 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Oh I know. Because King's opinion matters more than anyone else's right?

Yeah well he is just generally more knowledgeable than anyone, even MG.

zackass.png

#338 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Ah, I wasn't aware that the Bulls had improved their other numbers too over the last while, I hadn't checked in on them in a while and just assumed that they were still being carried by the Subbans and Gaunce, I rescind my previous comments about the Bulls being bad.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#339 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

2nd straight first star outing. .. 5 points in the last 2 games way to go brendan!

Yup. Played well from what I saw in the highlights packages.
  • 1g, 2a and a +2 against Guelph in a 6-3 win
  • 1g, 1a and +1 in a 3-2 win against Kitchener
Gaunce had a nicer tip than the one for his goal in the Kitchener game, but it hit the crossbar. He's been involved in the cycle a lot too as well as spending time in front of the net, and I think he's starting to find a comfortable spot in his game. Hopefully he continues to improve.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#340 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm still holding on to this fool's hope that Gaunce is going to EXCEED expectations and become a Getzlaf-type player for the Canucks. You never know, though. Getzlaf only had ONE season in which he scored over a point per game in the WHL and in his last season he barely managed to finish with a point per game. Yet, look at him now. If you've got the big body, the hockey IQ and the vision, you don't necessarily have to be super skilled with all the dangles and stuff to put up points as a top 6 playmaking centre in the NHL. You just have to be able to use your body to protect the puck well and have the smarts and vision to dish the puck to the open man.

Anyway, I'm not expecting him to become the next Getzlaf. He just looks like he could be that kind of player if he exceeds expectations. /fantasy

Edited by NuxFan09, 30 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#341 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Gaunce named OHL player of the week!

#342 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Gaunce named OHL player of the week!

Yep! That's the 2nd prospect the Canucks have who has been named OHL player of the week, the other being Frank Corrado for the week of October 22 - 28.

Link: http://www.ontarioho...the-week/134968

#343 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yep! That's the 2nd prospect the Canucks have who has been named OHL player of the week, the other being Frank Corrado for the week of October 22 - 28.

Link: http://www.ontarioho...the-week/134968

but according to mr. reputable our prospects blow because none of them are playing in the world juniors.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#344 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

^^^ Well, to be fair, the OHL is depleted right now because a lot of talented OHLers are in the WJC right now and Gaunce won in their absence. It's odd to not see names like Jenner, Strome, etc on there. Maybe they don't give it out to players in their last season as juniors - because these guys definitely have had dominant weeks ...

But good for Gaunce. I think he is a good prospect and I hope to see him on the WJC squad next season, although he will have a lot of competition from the upcoming draft class...

Would like to see Gaunce pull himself up to the PPG level of production. Just 5 points shy right now.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#345 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Sounds like a player AV would like. We seem to be changing organisationally philosphy.

Grabner, Shirokov, Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin in early yrs.

Now

Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, Mallet, etc

#346 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,518 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

lp
Posted Image

#347 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

but according to mr. reputable our prospects blow because none of them are playing in the world juniors.

I didn't say they blow, just lower rung from the other teams.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#348 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I didn't say they blow, just lower rung from the other teams.

:lol: So Seguin sucks to because he didn't play in the WJC to, right?
Posted Image

#349 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

:lol: So Seguin sucks to because he didn't play in the WJC to, right?

I believe he was with the Bruins already so he wasn't able to participate at the WJC. None of the Canuck prospects are playing for the club. They outright failed to make the team or wasn't invited to try out.

Quite easy to figure if someone uses wisdom.

Edited by Mr. Reputable, 31 December 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#350 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

I believe he was with the Bruins already so he wasn't able to participate at the WJC. None of the Canuck prospects are playing for the club. They outright failed to make the team or wasn't invited to try out.

This guy :bigblush:

#351 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Wrong lol. He was cut in his draft year, and Hall made it.
Posted Image

#352 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Wrong lol. He was cut in his draft year, and Hall made it.

How about last year and before that? He's eligible . He could have been like RNH who was cut but now is tops in the WJC.

#353 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

The bottom line is this, if the prospects don't even get a sniff from their respective countries for the WJC, there are better options than them,

#354 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

The bottom line is this, if the prospects don't even get a sniff from their respective countries for the WJC, there are better options than them,

Corrado, but okay.
Posted Image

#355 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Corrado, but okay.

I agree w/ Corrado.

#356 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I agree w/ Corrado.

No one can argue that Canuck drafting has any history of quality pics. That said the current regime is IMHO the best the Canucks have ever had. Drafted talent by the Canucks suffered from a 'sink or swim' mentality for much of the past 40 years. The fact that Tanev, Schneider, K-Conn and Kassian are being given serious AHL time is a hugh advance for the Canucks.

The absolute classic Canuck screw up was Dale Tallon. I would argue he had as much talent as Perrault but never acheived what he could have because of Canuck management.

#357 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,518 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Gaunce reminds me of Mike Fisher.
Posted Image

#358 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Gaunce reminds me of Mike Fisher.

I wouldn't be upset with that. In Fisher's prime he was as solid 2nd centre as they come.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#359 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

No one can argue that Canuck drafting has any history of quality pics. That said the current regime is IMHO the best the Canucks have ever had. Drafted talent by the Canucks suffered from a 'sink or swim' mentality for much of the past 40 years. The fact that Tanev, Schneider, K-Conn and Kassian are being given serious AHL time is a hugh advance for the Canucks.

The absolute classic Canuck screw up was Dale Tallon. I would argue he had as much talent as Perrault but never acheived what he could have because of Canuck management.

The current regime has a horrible drafting record so far IMO but it is still VERY early to judge. Tanev and Lack are good prospects but were signings, not draft picks. Nonis was on the road to having a fantastic drafting record until 2007. I liked most of GIllis picks at the time - the problem is mostly development and bad luck.

Price and McNally have NHL potential but it will be hard to gauge until they turn pro. Polasek, Connauton and Sauve have an awesome package of size, speed, skill and toughness but their development seems to be going sideways or downwards.

Rodin was a gamble that could have paid off but the Wolves have veteran undersized scoring forwards with a solid AHL resume (Sterling, Gordon, Haydar and Ebbett) who take away top 6 playing time from Sweatt and Rodin.

Edited by canucklehead44, 01 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Sig too big.

#360 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

who do you all suggestive we should have taken instead of Gaunce, the only player that comes to mind would be Samuellson from the WHL. I was hopping we picked him, but Gillis went more for character. Samuellson plays wing and center so we could have developed him as a centre

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.