Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm a true Canucks fan, and I missed it. :(

Boobs?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#482 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,130 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Boobs?

Do dirty internet movies count?

Posted Image

#483 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

need to watch highlights......sportnet.ca will have it right?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#484 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

He looked extremely polished in this game.
I'm not too concerned about how many points he's getting, but it's a nice bonus.

Very happy with Jensen and Gaunce in back to back years late in the 1st round.

Can you picture it five years from now? Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian. That line has it all.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#485 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I keep saying I see Ryan Getzlaf in this kid. He's totally got the Getzlaf game. He's a big guy who's not necessarily buzzing around, but when he has the puck he's slowing the play down and making sick passes. He's got the power game as well, as evidenced by his goal tonight, but he's not necessarily a mean SOB who's bowling through everyone like a Milan Lucic.

Also, a reminder that Getzlaf had only ONE junior season in which he scored over a point per game. Like Gaunce, he was just around a point per game player in junior.

Anyway, flame away. I'm not saying Gaunce will ever be as good as Getzlaf but he's sure got a lot of Getzlaf in his game.

#486 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

HIGHLIGHTS: http://www.sportsnet...OHL-BEL-7-NIA-2

#487 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Do dirty internet movies count?

Is the space pope reptilian?

#488 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I keep saying I see Ryan Getzlaf in this kid. He's totally got the Getzlaf game. He's a big guy who's not necessarily buzzing around, but when he has the puck he's slowing the play down and making sick passes. He's got the power game as well, as evidenced by his goal tonight, but he's not necessarily a mean SOB who's bowling through everyone like a Milan Lucic.

Also, a reminder that Getzlaf had only ONE junior season in which he scored over a point per game. Like Gaunce, he was just around a point per game player in junior.

Anyway, flame away. I'm not saying Gaunce will ever be as good as Getzlaf but he's sure got a lot of Getzlaf in his game.

I can see it. I like this kid, him and Jensen got me excited for the Canuks future.

I hate making player comparisons too because stupid people think you're saying he'll be the next [insert compared player] to a tee when all you're doing is saying he reminds you of a certain player...

#489 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

If he's close to another famous 16 I think all fans will be very happy. I think that's a better comparable given all of his assets.

Getzlaf probably has better skating, hands but Linden certainly had alot more heart. Gaunce is no slouch but I don't see him with high end skills (that being said, he's young).

Getzlaf, from many I know who are close to the ducks say he is a bit of a lazy player (really riding on past reputation and Corey Perry -reason I wouldn't want to see him ever as a nuck - Perry yes but a diff thread).

Gaunce seems to be another great pick by the nucks late in the first round, if he keeps developing we certainly have a potential number 2 center coming up and with Jensen and Kassian would make a very tough tough line to play against.

A couple more good drafts and we should be ok up front, but I would venture to say the next 2 drafts are very very very important for the nucks. They really need to find a top end offensive player to replace daniel and another who would slot into the 1c. Clearly, this is why MG is so focused on getting an offensive young center back in the Lou deal, because one he has that, alot of the risk in the future is removed.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 18 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#490 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I can see it. I like this kid, him and Jensen got me excited for the Canuks future.

I hate making player comparisons too because stupid people think you're saying he'll be the next [insert compared player] to a tee when all you're doing is saying he reminds you of a certain player...

Exactly. I was almost wincing as I wrote my post.

#491 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Man, between guys like Jensen, Corrado, Tommernes, Gaunce and Kassian + all of the other solid prospects I didn't name, our future isn't looking too bleak. Our major needs over the next 10 years will be to draft a #1 center man and or #1 dman but that's every teams needs too, Im sure well do alright.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#492 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Exactly. I was almost wincing as I wrote my post.

I don't see the top end offensive talent necessarily in him at this point. He is effective and gets the job done, but I don't see him producing to the level someone like Getzlaf has (around a point a game player). He'll still be quite good if he continues to progress, but I don't yet see him as someone to get 80-90 points in the NHL.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#493 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Lp

#494 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I don't see the top end offensive talent necessarily in him at this point. He is effective and gets the job done, but I don't see him producing to the level someone like Getzlaf has (around a point a game player). He'll still be quite good if he continues to progress, but I don't yet see him as someone to get 80-90 points in the NHL.

he literally got to point per game status for the season yesterday. never know what could happen.

#495 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Gaunce was -2 with no points and 2 PIMS for Belleville in a 4-0 loss to the Owen Sound Attack today.

Looks like Binnington is the better goalie after all. :P

#496 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

he literally got to point per game status for the season yesterday. never know what could happen.

I hope it will, but I'm also tempering my expectations just in case.

#497 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Gaunce with a couple goals tonight in a 4 -1 Win for Bellville.

35 PTS in 36 Games now. 11 in last 6
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#498 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Nice! Good to see he's still producing with all the depth the Bulls added at the OHL trade deadline.

#499 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Bulls lead division after 4-1 win...

It was a grind, sixty minutes of hard fought hockey, but the Belleville Bulls outlasted the Oshawa Generals in a Wednesday night war at the Yardmen Arena as Brendan Gaunce doubled up with a pair of goals in a 4-1 decision.

The Bulls entered action trailing the Gennies by a single point in the East Division with three games in hand, seeking to take advantage of a golden opportunity. Both clubs had suspensions as Scott Sabourin and Johnny McGuire were out of the lineup for Oshawa after an incident on Sunday against Mississauga while Austen Brassard served game one of a two game suspension handed out after Saturday's loss to Owen Sound.

The Generals showed signs of putting up a real fight in the early going. Cole Cassels scored his 13th goal of the year at 8:18 of the first period to put the Bulls down 1-0. Cassels banged in a second effort off the rush after the highly skilled Lucas Lessio couldn't beat Brady Austin one-on-one, the puck sat loose for Cassels to swoop in and beat a retreating Bulls defenceman for the goal past Malcolm Subban.

3-4-0-1 when opponents score first at the Yardmen this season, the Bulls dusted themselves off and carried on with an equalizer just over a minute later. Niki Petti, who was given the opportunity to play on the top line alongside Brendan Gaunce and Tyler Graovac, made the most of his chance as he picked off a Matt Petgrave pass to find Gaunce charging down the middle on his forehand. Gaunce snapped a quick release past the glove of Daniel Altshuller inside the far post at 9:54 as the Yardmen exploded.

The two clubs dueled to a one all draw through twenty minutes as the shots were eleven a piece and the scoring chances at six a side.

The Bulls took a slight edge in the second period with Gaunce scoring his 19th of the season at 5:18 to give the Brahmas a 2-1 lead. After Malcolm Subban stood his ground with a pair of nice saves off Boone Jenner, Niki Petti lugged the puck up ice as he found Stephen Silas who dropped for Gaunce who was able to display his pro wristshot. Gaunce snapped a rocket past Altshuller on the short side from the right circle.
Brendan Gaunce's two goals give him 7 goals and 5 assists in 8 January games.

#500 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Solid. Getting Jensen & Gaunce that late in the 1st round in back to back years is just looking golden right now.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#501 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Solid.  Getting Jensen & Gaunce that late in the 1st round in back to back years is just looking golden right now.

we're very fortunate they dropped that low. And that we have a GM that is smart enough to make the picks.

#502 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Suck it Tony Gallagher, piece of poo.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#503 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

^ What did he say?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#504 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Gaunce had no points and a +1 rating for Belleville in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Peterborough Petes tonight.

#505 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I think the beauty of this pick was that Gaunce was such a sure bet to make it in the NHL which is not something that can be said for quite a few late 1st round picks. My question however is about his ceiling.
Do you guys envision Gaunce as a 2nd or 3rd line center in the NHL?
To me he seems to be the very defensibly responsible, smart player that coaches love for the third line role. On the other hand however, the exact same thing was said of Kesler when he got drafted and then Sundin came along and taught him how to be an offensive beast.
So what do you guys think?
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#506 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think the beauty of this pick was that Gaunce was such a sure bet to make it in the NHL which is not something that can be said for quite a few late 1st round picks. My question however is about his ceiling.
To me he seems to be the very defensibly responsible, smart player that coaches love for the third line role. On the other hand however, the exact same thing was said of Kesler when he got drafted and then Sundin came along and taught him how to be an offensive beast.

I would like to think his ceiling is Jordan stall right now. that's hopeful though

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#507 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I haven't personally seen Guance play. However, projecting him to be in the realm of a top-5 pick like Jordan Staal seems a bit optimistic. Not saying it couldn't happen (as it happens occasionally, like with Kesler), but it's a helluva long shot.

Staal (and Kesler) are basically good 1st-line centers, that if on a team that already has an elite center, excellent 2nd-line centers. (For a while, Staal played on one of the only team in the league that had TWO elite centers, making him the absolute best 3rd-line center out there).

I'd look at Guance to be a step down from that. More of a good 2nd-line center, that can be an excellent 3rd-line center if the team already has 2 great centers. Think of a less douchey version of Dave Bolland. That would be success for Brendan.
Posted Image

#508 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

I think he has the offensive IQ, and uses his size well enough (Protects the puck and uses his size kinda like Kassian) To become a realy useful 2nd line center, as for his potential.

Absolute Ceiling: Jordan Staal

The Absolute Floor (if he makes the NHL): Dave Steckel

More likely comparables (IMO): Ryan O'Rielly, Shawn Horcoff (in his prime), Brooks Laich, Martin Hanzal

I think he will surprise people with the offensive ability that he has (could score 20+ goals and 50+ points consistently IMO), but will be more noted for his defensive ability, leadership, character and having all the assets that come with having that type of size.

The most accurate comparisons are probably O'Rielly and Laich.

zackass.png

#509 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

I think Brooks Laich is a good comparable. Slightly better or worse.
I reckon he'll be a useful NHL player in some capacity.

#510 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well, one of the initial comparisons I found was of Brenden Morrow, which I think makes sense. Gaunce is a little bigger than Morrow, but both are great leaders and contribute a lot to their teams that way. He will likely have some pretty good seasons of point production (Morrow had two great seasons of 74 and 65, but otherwise he was a 40-50 point guy), but will be most useful due to his all around game.

If his offence continues to develop, it's possible he even gets to a 1st line center role, but more likely a 2nd line center who's very capable on the 3rd or 4th.

Gaunce was a +1 in a 3-1 win over the London Knights, the OHL's top team, last night. That puts the Bulls at 3rd overall and 2nd in the East.

Edited by elvis15, 27 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.