3387 replies to this topic

#511 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm not sure how Brendan Gaunce managed to go pointless in an 8-2 drubbing but he did.

Detroit prospect Allan Quine had 1g 5a.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#512 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm not sure how Brendan Gaunce managed to go pointless in an 8-2 drubbing but he did.

Allan Quine always skates over, steals the puck off his stick, makes two passes and ensures a goal is scored! He's stealing points from Gaunce! :ph34r:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#513 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Because he's such a nice guy he's trying to boost his teammates stats! :lol:

#514 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, he was on the ice for the 3rd Bulls goal, but also on the ice for the 2nd Frontenacs goal. Not sure if was playing less minutes of it it was luck of the draw, or what that he didn't factor in more of the points.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#515 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

A mid-round Red Wings draft pick exceeding expectations and looking like a steal? No way!

#516 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Gaunce don't run score up

#517 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

A mid-round Red Wings draft pick exceeding expectations and looking like a steal? No way!

This made me laugh and then I did this: :P

#518 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Man, between guys like Jensen, Corrado, Tommernes, Gaunce and Kassian + all of the other solid prospects I didn't name, our future isn't looking too bleak. Our major needs over the next 10 years will be to draft a #1 center man and or #1 dman but that's every teams needs too, Im sure well do alright.

Worst case scenario, if we can't draft one, we can always attempt to buy one through free agency. Gillis just has to continue to make this an attractive team to play for.

Before I get flamed...I know ideally you build through the draft but when you're consistently picking late, short of fluking on hidden gems (ala Detroit), we may have to step out and buy a guy here or there to fill in the odd top level spot.

I'm quite curious what our team's going to look like in say 3+ years. By then the twins (if they haven't retired back to Sweden) will likely regress to our (very good) second line. Does that make Kesler our 1C? Does that put Gaunce at 3C? Everybody keeps lining up Jensen/Guance/Kassian but I think that's likely 5+ years off (Kesler would need to retire/be demoted back to 2C/3C).

I think it's far more likely in 2-3 years we see something like:

Booth/Jensen, Kesler, Kassian
Sedin, Sedin, Burrows?
Booth/Jensen, Gaunce, ???

You also have to wonder where this leaves Schroeder...? Moved to Guance's wing...?

Edited by J.R., 31 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#519 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Worst case scenario, if we can't draft one, we can always attempt to buy one through free agency. Gillis just has to continue to make this an attractive team to play for.

Before I get flamed...I know ideally you build through the draft but when you're consistently picking late, short of fluking on hidden gems (ala Detroit), we may have to step out and buy a guy here or there to fill in the odd top level spot.

I'm quite curious what our team's going to look like in say 3+ years. By then the twins (if they haven't retired back to Sweden) will likely regress to our (very good) second line. Does that make Kesler our 1C? Does that put Gaunce at 3C? Everybody keeps lining up Jensen/Guance/Kassian but I think that's likely 5+ years off (Kesler would need to retire/be demoted back to 2C/3C).

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows?

You also have to wonder where this leaves Schroeder...? Moved to Guance's wing...?

its easier for gaunce to.move to wing than schroeder

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#520 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

its easier for gaunce to.move to wing than schroeder

True. Tough call though, I usually like the bigger guy at centre but I have a feeling Schroeder would be a better set up man playinc C there. I guess we wait and see ::D
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#521 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, he was on the ice for the 3rd Bulls goal, but also on the ice for the 2nd Frontenacs goal. Not sure if was playing less minutes of it it was luck of the draw, or what that he didn't factor in more of the points.

Probably just one of those night nothing goes your way.

#522 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows?

I think they will still be on the 1st line, everyone is expecting this huge drop but not me, they may not score as much but they will bring the same game.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Jensen
Gaunce - Schroeder - Burrows

zackass.png

#523 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Lp

#524 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,413 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Gaunce is 2nd on Belleville in scoring (the guy ahead of him has played 8 more games and has one more assist). He's first on the team in goals.

Quine has good stats, 16 points in 8 but important to remember 6 of his points came in 1 game.... With the Petes he was a PPG player.

#525 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think they will still be on the 1st line, everyone is expecting this huge drop but not me, they may not score as much but they will bring the same game.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Jensen
Gaunce - Schroeder - Burrows

I tend to agree that their play won't have the same fall off as most top tier players as their game is based more on skill/smarts than speed where most 1st line players start to drop off in their mid-late 30's.

That said, we still can't assume they're not going to trail off some in the next 3+/- years. I mean that will but them at 36 years old in three years. Not quite spring chickens. I think we have to assume and plan for them to be 2nd line players at that point (even if they're not) due to the high possibility of them retiring around that point if nothing else. If we haven't replaced them by that point, who's going to be our first line when they DO retire?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#526 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I tend to agree that their play won't have the same fall off as most top tier players as their game is based more on skill/smarts than speed where most 1st line players start to drop off in their mid-late 30's.

That said, we still can't assume they're not going to trail off some in the next 3+/- years. I mean that will but them at 36 years old in three years. Not quite spring chickens. I think we have to assume and plan for them to be 2nd line players at that point (even if they're not) due to the high possibility of them retiring around that point if nothing else. If we haven't replaced them by that point, who's going to be our first line when they DO retire?

My guess would be Jensen, Kesler and Maybe Kassian? I see your point though.

zackass.png

#527 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

My guess would be Jensen, Kesler and Maybe Kassian? I see your point though.

Yeah if those guys (or whoever) can't out-play 36 year old Sedins for 1st line honours, playing time etc...we've got problems.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#528 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yeah if those guys (or whoever) can't out-play 36 year old Sedins for 1st line honours, playing time etc...we've got problems.

42 year old Selanne says hi

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#529 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

42 year old Selanne says hi

Pretty sure he doesn't play on their first line.

Also, Malcolm Gladwell says hi back.

Edited by J.R., 01 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#530 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I like how Gaunce is near the top in team scoring, which is probably more a product of his ice time. But since he's touted as a defensive prospect, it is good to see that the team has given up the lowest goals against of any team in the OHL.

I'm sure Gaunce gets as much PK time and time against opposing top lines as possible.

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#531 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think the Sedins can play for longer at a fairly high level than most people think. I think they can keep putting up 55+ point seasons, even as their over 40. They're very durable, especially when you consider henrik hasn't missed a game in nearly 10 years.

#532 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think the Sedins can play for longer at a fairly high level than most people think. I think they can keep putting up 55+ point seasons, even as their over 40. They're very durable, especially when you consider henrik hasn't missed a game in nearly 10 years.

Which would be a GREAT second line. First line players need to be putting up closer to 70+ points IMO.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#533 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Which would be a GREAT second line. First line players need to be putting up closer to 70+ points IMO.

I know that, just wasn't sure if some people were suggesting their play would move down to that, or if they were suggesting it would diminish completely.

#534 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Gaunce scored a goal and was somehow just even on the night for Belleville in an 8-3 win over the Sarnia Sting today. He also added 2 PIMS.

#535 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Feature article up on CDC home page about Gaunce. I'll just quote some main points and you can go read the rest at the article:

It has been an up-and-down season for Gaunce, after a slow start it looked like things were turning around before an injury derailed the Belleville Bulls captain for nearly a month. However, after shaking off the rust once returning from injury, Gaunce has been on a torrid scoring pace since the Christmas break.

“This year has been a bit of a different year for me,” said Gaunce. “I played through the first real adversity I think I have had so far in my OHL career with the injury I had in October.”
“Those All-Star games mean a lot for all the players because it is the OHL against Russia. Canada versus Russia is a big thing in hockey and I haven’t been able to play in one of those games before and that was going to be my first chance, but you just have to move past that and look at the brighter things in the future.”

Like any player coming off an injury, it took Gaunce a few games to get back in his groove after only mustering seven points in the 13 games after the injury, which is far from Gaunce-like numbers.

”It was my first injury like that,” said Gaunce. “I didn’t know what mentality to go into the game with because I had never had that pain before or anything like that to play with, but as of now it’s perfectly fine.

“The start I had this year wasn’t the start I wanted.”
“After the Christmas break I came in with more of an offensive mentality and tried to capitalize at being a scorer without taking anything away from my defensive play,” said Gaunce. “Just coming into the second half I wanted to be relied upon more as a scorer and a player that can impact and change the game.”

Gaunce took it to another level in a new position on January 5th, the day the Bulls acquired Tyler Graovac from the Ottawa 67’s. Graovac, a highly-skilled centreman, was destined to play on the Bulls’ top line, and with Gaunce already holding down the fort as Belleville’s number one center, Bulls head coach and general manager George Burnett made the decision to move Gaunce to left wing in order to ice a potent number one line.
“I think it’s been a pretty smooth adjustment,” said Gaunce. ”Obviously it was a bit different the first few games because most of my mentalities were as a centreman and playing defensive, but playing left wing you have more chances to create offense off the wing. With the system we have in place and with Graovac playing on my line, if I don’t feel comfortable we can switch during the games.

“It’s definitely a new experience and I like it so far.”

As good as Gaunce is right now at the junior level, he remains humble, knowing he will need to improve on a few things before he makes the jump to the NHL.

“Coming into this year, I knew if I wanted to be a pro I need to improve everything in my game,” said Gaunce. “Pros are the best in the world at what they do and that’s why they are there. I think everything in my game needs a little improvement and that’s what I am working on right now.”

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#536 davinci

davinci

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Disclaimer: NOT trying to knock Gaunce... just wondering if anyone else a little choked that Gaunce hasn't really taken a step forward this year, even with better linemates he seems to be the 2 to 3 guy on the team for scoring touch.
Posted Image

#537 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Disclaimer: NOT trying to knock Gaunce... just wondering if anyone else a little choked that Gaunce hasn't really taken a step forward this year, even with better linemates he seems to be the 2 to 3 guy on the team for scoring touch.

People were saying the exact same thing about Jensen last year. He's turning out alright. The thing with the CHL is that constantly players can have big games, the Bulls are really heating up and starting to blow out teams. All he needs to do is cash in on some of those 8 goal games, even though most of the scoring is done by Quines line, which I assume has taken a lot of the offensive shifts from him. We just need to hang in there and be patient.

Edited by Hansen 36, 07 February 2013 - 12:57 PM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#538 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Gaunce's upside is 2nd line C, so I don't expect him to be a huge point getter. I'd like to see him continue working on his playmaking skills, defense and faceoffs. Hopefully the team won't keep switching him over to wing. Looks like he will have that versitility though.

#539 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Isn't he projected to be more of a physical two way forward with a bit of offensive upside? Like a bigger, slightly less skilled Kesler-esque player?

As such, I'm not surprised he's not piling up points.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#540 davinci

davinci

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

People were saying the exact same thing about Jensen last year. He's turning out alright. The thing with the CHL is that constantly players can have big games, the Bulls are really heating up and starting to blow out teams. All he needs to do is cash in on some of those 8 goal games, even though most of the scoring is done by Quines line, which I assume has taken a lot of the offensive shifts from him. We just need to hang in there and be patient.

Ya I guess seeing that he's a 1st round pick you kind of hope he's the go to guy in the CHL. Still think he's a great kid and a great pick. #futurecaptain
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.