2840 replies to this topic

#601 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Gaunce already with 1 assist vs Sudbury.

Keep an eye on this game could get out of hand.. already 4-0 Belleville after the 1st.

the-blacklist-poster-1.jpg

1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| small.png EHL GM

#602 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Make that a goal and an assist for Gaunce after 2 periods.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#603 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

1 more point, and he'll officially be PPG! Big comeback for Gaunce,considering the rough start and injury that followed.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#604 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

1 more point, and he'll officially be PPG! Big comeback for Gaunce,considering the rough start and injury that followed.

He was PPG 3 games ago before he went on a 3 game cold streak... 0 points and -5
Posted Image

#605 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

he's been ppg status a few times this year. I'm betting he will finish that way

#606 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Gaunce finished with 2 PIMS on top of the goal and assist. The Bulls ended up defeating the Wolves 6-2.

#607 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

He was first star.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#608 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Gaunce went scoreless and was even on the night for Belleville in a 3-2 OT loss to the Barrie Colts today.

#609 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Brendan Gaunce
Center
Born Mar 25 1994 -- Markham, ONT
Height 6'2" -- Weight 215 -- Shoots L

Regular Season					Playoffs
Season	Team			Lge	GP	G	A	Pts	PIM	+/-	GP	G	A	Pts	PIM
2009-10	Markham Waxers		OJHL	1	0	0	0	0	-2					
2010-11	Belleville Bulls	OHL	65	11	25	36	40	-31	4	0	0	0	4
2011-12	Belleville Bulls	OHL	68	28	40	68	68	4	6	1	2	3	2

Was he really minus-31 just two seasons ago? Damn, does anybody know how he has been playing as of late?? Last season it looks like he definitely did step it up though, hopefully we don't see none of that sloppy defensive play when he gets moved up to the AHL. :blink: Especially if he's projected to start out as our grinding 3rd line center.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 10 March 2013 - 10:29 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#610 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Was he really minus-31 just two seasons ago? Damn, does anybody know how he has been playing as of late?? Last season it looks like he definitely did step it up though, hopefully we don't see none of that sloppy defensive play when he gets moved up to the AHL. :blink: Especially if he's projected to start out as our grinding 3rd line center.

If you think Gaunce is sloppy defensively, you don't know anything about him as a player. He's projected to be a great shutdown centre at the NHL level.

zuhwS.gif

#611 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

If you think Gaunce is sloppy defensively, you don't know anything about him as a player. He's projected to be a great shutdown centre at the NHL level.

This.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#612 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

There's no way you can go minus-31 and not be sloppy defensively buddy. I asked a simple question on how he has been playing as of late, which obviously means that I don't know anything about him as a player aside from the stats. lol Read between the lines and not just bits and pieces..

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#613 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

There's no way you can go minus-31 and not be sloppy defensively buddy. I asked a simple question on how he has been playing as of late, which obviously means that I don't know anything about him as a player aside from the stats. lol Read between the lines and not just bits and pieces..

A 16 year old player breaking into the league isn't expected to be a top shut-down player. I think that definitely shows just how bad Belleville was before this season.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#614 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think you should read the lines before you try to ask others to read between them.

If Gaunce were a better skater, he would be considered top-6 material. As it stands, his attention to the defensive side of the game and ability on face-offs makes him a definite candidate for role as a third-line checking center. Gaunce has the size to battle with most players but doesn't always have the speed to keep up. But he'll pay attention to the defensive zone and win most of the puck battles along the boards, making him a potentially valuable player when a team is looking to preserve a lead.

Brendan Gaunce continues to endear himself to Canucks management and fans alike. In early October, he suffered a second degree shoulder separation. Despite the setback, his development is still on track, with the exact same point-per-game pace as last year and a better plus-minus rating. Considering that he had 18 points through his first 26 games, his 27 goals, 25 assists for 52 points in 53 games is quite remarkable. The two-way center sits first on the Belleville Bulls in goals, second for points, and his defensive game has been sound as well. He continues to win faceoffs and many battles for the puck along the boards, getting used in just about any situation imaginable. Listed at 6’2, 215 pounds, the 19-year-old has NHL size, and at this point, it would take a substantial turn of events to derail his eventual development into an NHL pivot. He has continually been improving his skating as well, which was the only factor preventing him from being selected higher in the 2012 NHL Draft.

Brendan Gaunce was the club's first pick in the 2012 entry draft, and the Canucks were ecstatic that the Belleville Bull was available at the 26th pick. The reason they were so thrilled to land Gaunce is because of the great two-way play he exhibits. Though Belleville was the third lowest-scoring team through their first eleven games, they managed a 7-3-1 start to the season, largely due to their 94-percent penalty kill efficiency. Gaunce factored in heavily as a top shutdown option, winning crucial draws and battles along the boards for loose pucks.

Quotes taken from http://www.hockeysfu...brendan_gaunce/

zuhwS.gif

#615 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Most underrated type of players in the league... These guys win championships. Good pick Gillis!!
Posted Image

#616 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Brendan Gaunce is one of their top offensive players, on a defensive team, from a player who plays a solid 2 way game. He is currently 2nd in team scoring 2 points behind Camorosa but who played 8 games more and 2 years older. At 26 overall this is a steal of a pick if you ask me.

Anyone thinking we should draft Subban with maybe with our 2nd pick.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#617 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Brendan Gaunce is one of their top offensive players, on a defensive team, from a player who plays a solid 2 way game. He is currently 2nd in team scoring 2 points behind Camorosa but who played 8 games more and 2 years older. At 26 overall this is a steal of a pick if you ask me.

He's 5"9... look at ryan ellis. You could say that Ellis was twice the player Subban is in the CHL... and Ellis's game hasn't been able to take off at the NHL level. Gillis keep drafting 6"1++++
Posted Image

#618 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

1 assist and even rating in a 4-2win against Colts. 55pts in 57gp. 3 games left... regular season ends March 16th.
Posted Image

#619 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

1 assist and even rating in a 4-2win against Colts. 55pts in 57gp. 3 games left... regular season ends March 16th.

I hope Gaunce goes beast mode in the playoffs, Canucks could use a real playoff performer.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#620 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Gaunce sits 14 pts and 10 pts behind Graovac and Quine respectively, both 3rd round picks. I know both played on other teams but you can see they are scoring at equal ppg on the Bulls. Funny enough their drafted by Ottawa and Detroit, ,man those teams have great drafting. Graovac is 6-3 203 as well, NHL size and talent out of the 3rd round.

Gaunce will peak at a good 3rd line center, I really don't see the offensive capabilties to be much more than than at an NHL level.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes, 13 March 2013 - 08:32 AM.

Its hard to care when you don't

#621 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Gaunce sits 14 pts and 10 pts behind Graovac and Quine respectively, both 3rd round picks. I know both played on other teams but you can see they are scoring at equal ppg on the Bulls. Funny enough their drafted by Ottawa and Detroit, ,man those teams have great drafting. Graovac is 6-3 203 as well, NHL size and talent out of the 3rd round.

Gaunce will peak at a good 3rd line center, I really don't see the offensive capabilties to be much more than than at an NHL level.

They're both a year older.
Posted Image

#622 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

They're both a year older.

The more you know........

#623 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

The best part about Gaunce and any prospect is he is still on a steep improvement curve. Many in fact most players plateau at some point. In the case of Gaunce he's still young and still getting better. When he plateaus we'll know where he will play 1st/2nd line etc. Speculation is wasted but watching the improvement is good cause to expect more from Gaunce and that is good. Similar for Jensen and Corrado ( I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next September ) In fact with the Cap going down next season many of the youngster on Entry Level Contract by necessity might get a chance

Edited by Fred65, 13 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#624 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

The best part about Gaunce and any prospect is he is still on a steep improvement curve. Many in fact most players plateau at some point. In the case of Gaunce he's still young and still getting better. When he plateaus we'll know where he will play 1st/2nd line etc. Speculation is wasted but watching the improvement is good cause to expect more from Gaunce and that is good. Similar for Jensen and Corrado ( I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next September ) In fact with the Cap going down next season many of the youngster on Entry Level Contract by necessity might get a chance

agree 100%. Will be really fun as a fan to watch the Canucks as the cap goes down. Management will be forced to use prospects in more important roles than they usually would.

This is where I'd like to see AV replaced, I respect him as a coach and don't really hop on the fire the coach wagon everytime a team doen't win the cup but AV really puts a lot of pressure on the propects and doesn't give them the confidence to make mistakes and still get played. I feel we need a coach now that is more of a motivator and gets more personal with the players.

As for Gaunce, ya we'll see how the development curve goes. I don't get a chance to watch him play other than highlights but he doesn't seem very dynamic offensively. Has an NHL shot for sure but I don't see much potential other than that. All hearsay and guess work right now. I see Sammy Paulson all over this guy, not that thats a bad thing.....

#625 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

agree 100%. Will be really fun as a fan to watch the Canucks as the cap goes down. Management will be forced to use prospects in more important roles than they usually would.

This is where I'd like to see AV replaced, I respect him as a coach and don't really hop on the fire the coach wagon everytime a team doen't win the cup but AV really puts a lot of pressure on the propects and doesn't give them the confidence to make mistakes and still get played. I feel we need a coach now that is more of a motivator and gets more personal with the players.

As for Gaunce, ya we'll see how the development curve goes. I don't get a chance to watch him play other than highlights but he doesn't seem very dynamic offensively. Has an NHL shot for sure but I don't see much potential other than that. All hearsay and guess work right now. I see Sammy Paulson all over this guy, not that thats a bad thing.....

I like the idea of a future line Kassian-Gaunce-Jensen that's a lot of beef :-)

#626 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

POPULAR

Cam Charron@camcharron

Canucks first rounder Brendan Gaunce was named "Best Defensive Forward" in the OHL's Eastern Conference by league coaches today...

http://www.ontarioho...hes-poll/140462

#627 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Gaunce reminds me of a jarrett stoll with a horcoff like ceiling if he exceeds expectations

Edited by thad, 13 March 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#628 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Gaunce with a hat trick tonight to go along with his best defensive forward award he received today. :)

That brings him up to 31 goals on the season. Not too shabby for a defensive forward.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#629 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I see him as Brooks Laich and think he can be a 2nd line center.

He has a good shot and works hard for his goals and points, is strong goes to the dirty areas and his hands/passing abilities aren't bad either.

Then you add to that the leadership, defensive ability, faceoff ability and size.

Really loving the pick.

zackass.png

#630 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

His wrist shot is wicked.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.