2279 replies to this topic

#1081 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Back to Brendan Gaunce just for a moment. In MG interview today on 1040 he seemed to indicate Gaunce has a fair chance of making the team next season and likely Jensen to. Makes a bit of a change. Assuming Corrado continues along with Tanev that's some nice pieces hopefully falling into place. Who knows maybe Schroeder too

Training camp is going to be interesting this coming season. Corrado, Lack, Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, Lian. We've got a good number of young players who could challenge for a spot on this team. It's pretty much a given Kassian will be with us, which is why I haven't mentioned him with the others.

It's going to be an interesting summer for Gillis. He might have to ship a piece or two out to make room.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1082 Honeydew

Honeydew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

My guess is there's two ways he could go with Gaunce. Let him up on the team to play 3rd line center minutes or send him back down and let him polish up his game to dominate the junior level again.

Really a toss up between two scenarios and I think either scenario Gaunce will benefit in regardless. I really hope that he stays in Junior and we pick up a bonafide 3rd line center so Gaunce could get some more experience and work on his game a bit more.
Posted Image

#1083 Fred65

Fred65

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

What Gaunce brings is not only his on ice abilities but his Entry Level Contract. MG is desperate for cheap but talented players to get under the Cap. Given his choice he'd likely send Gaunce back to junior but under the financial restraint he's caught in he doesn't have a lot of choice. It would be nice if Jensen proved his abilities in the AHL but dollars to doughnuts he'll be playing to, like wise Corrado. The Canucks are in a big time financial problem with the lower Cap this season and that will be solved by playing some ELC when maybe they shouldn't be playing at that level yet

#1084 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

If he's ready or close to ready he'll be up with the big club.

If it's clear he needs another year in junior, then that's where he'll be.

The organization won't risk puting him in a situation that he's not physically or mentally ready for. That can ruin a players career, and really it can be dangerous for the player.

Schroeder should be ready to be the third line center and will give the team an option next season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1085 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I agree with DeNiro. If Gaunce looks like he's ready or close to ready he'll likely get a spot somewhere. If he's not he'll get his last year in junior and likely make the club the season after.

We're lucky Gaunce can play wing though, or we'd have an interesting problem. Schroeder slots in at center, and I don't think he can play wing. I might be wrong though? Actually, it would be interesting to see Gaunce get a look with Kesler.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1086 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Sedin
Kesler
Scrodo
Yappy

No. This would suck on many levels.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#1087 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I agree with DeNiro. If Gaunce looks like he's ready or close to ready he'll likely get a spot somewhere. If he's not he'll get his last year in junior and likely make the club the season after.

We're lucky Gaunce can play wing though, or we'd have an interesting problem. Schroeder slots in at center, and I don't think he can play wing. I might be wrong though? Actually, it would be interesting to see Gaunce get a look with Kesler.

Schroeder didn't fair very well at wing in the AHL season before last, but that's not a 100% verdict on his chances there. I've wondered if he couldn't do a similar role on Kesler's wing to what Roy was doing when they were on the same line. Kesler would still take faceoffs but Schroeder can add to the playmaking side of things, and at a much cheaper rate than Roy. Maybe Jensen/Booth/etc. on the left side with Kesler in the middle and Schroeder on the right?

Gaunce could come in and play left wing as well but that isn't too likely considering the depth we have in that area. Things change but if he succeeds soon it'll be as a 3rd line center behind Hank and Kesler. It'll be interesting to see how training camp plays out though, with a number of younger options rounding into form.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1088 Fred65

Fred65

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Schroeder is not built to play wing. He has to be preferable away from the boards where he can be easily tied up. Gaunce on the other hand can play either wing or centre he's adept and built for either jobs. A big skilled player is better than a small skilled player. I wonder if a coach would be willing to play two rookies together.

I'm not going to be surprised if Gaunce become a real quality player, he's made to succeed at the NHL level. One of the things you look for in a youngster is the ability to continue to grow and from every thing I've read Gaunce is still on the up swing.I don't get that feeling as much with Jensen. Corrado and Tanev you could indentify immiediatley

#1089 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Does anyone have his interview on 1040 yesterday?

zackass.png

#1090 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Schroeder is not built to play wing. He has to be preferable away from the boards where he can be easily tied up. Gaunce on the other hand can play either wing or centre he's adept and built for either jobs. A big skilled player is better than a small skilled player. I wonder if a coach would be willing to play two rookies together.

I'm not going to be surprised if Gaunce become a real quality player, he's made to succeed at the NHL level. One of the things you look for in a youngster is the ability to continue to grow and from every thing I've read Gaunce is still on the up swing.I don't get that feeling as much with Jensen. Corrado and Tanev you could indentify immiediatley

Sorry, no enough drive like other smaller players. Too small.

#1091 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Schroeder didn't fair very well at wing in the AHL season before last, but that's not a 100% verdict on his chances there. I've wondered if he couldn't do a similar role on Kesler's wing to what Roy was doing when they were on the same line. Kesler would still take faceoffs but Schroeder can add to the playmaking side of things, and at a much cheaper rate than Roy. Maybe Jensen/Booth/etc. on the left side with Kesler in the middle and Schroeder on the right?

Gaunce could come in and play left wing as well but that isn't too likely considering the depth we have in that area. Things change but if he succeeds soon it'll be as a 3rd line center behind Hank and Kesler. It'll be interesting to see how training camp plays out though, with a number of younger options rounding into form.

I could easily see Gaunce on Kesler's wing with Booth, in a stretch even this year. Remembering without Manny it will be the primary shut down line! Gaunce is not Malkin but is conscientious of passing and it looks like an absolute BEAST of a physical line!

It also would free Schroeder to play with Burrows and Hansen (which would be an extremely fast and creative 3rd line). They would score goals against secondary matchups!

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Booth/Kesler/Gaunce
Burrows/Schroeder/Hansen
Higgins/Santorelli/Richardson

That's a speed and skill line up which looks easily like the best 4 line depth we have rolled out in years?

#1092 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

^ My only criticism would be switching Booth and Gaunce. Booth can play right wing, and Gaunce played mostly left wing this season. Much easier for a veteran to switch wings than a rookie.

But yea, I wouldn't rule out Gaunce making it. It's about who's willing to work hardest in training camp to prove who deserves to stay, and I think Gaunce may have an edge over Jensen in that regard.

Posted Image

#1093 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen
Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could be an interesting lineup in about 2 years, gunna be interesting to see where some of the vets fit in a couple years if most of the youngsters pan out. Sedins and Kesler would still be able to carry most of the offense with most of the young guns in supporting roles.

Lineup like that is quite interchangeable to such as

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Gaunce-Kesler-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could also be quite good. good blend of offensive lines and 2 way lines

Just don't see where Schroeder can fit unless he can switch to wing and put up some point totals before Gaunce and Horvat are ready. Which might even be this year or next

#1094 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Lp

#1095 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen
Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could be an interesting lineup in about 2 years, gunna be interesting to see where some of the vets fit in a couple years if most of the youngsters pan out. Sedins and Kesler would still be able to carry most of the offense with most of the young guns in supporting roles.

Lineup like that is quite interchangeable to such as

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Gaunce-Kesler-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could also be quite good. good blend of offensive lines and 2 way lines

Just don't see where Schroeder can fit unless he can switch to wing and put up some point totals before Gaunce and Horvat are ready. Which might even be this year or next

No Burrows?
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#1096 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

^ My only criticism would be switching Booth and Gaunce. Booth can play right wing, and Gaunce played mostly left wing this season. Much easier for a veteran to switch wings than a rookie.

But yea, I wouldn't rule out Gaunce making it. It's about who's willing to work hardest in training camp to prove who deserves to stay, and I think Gaunce may have an edge over Jensen in that regard.

Fair point,right to left swap of Booth and Gaunce it is. And add on point. Jensen looked pretty ready in the scrimmage, but did not put the work in all ends we saw from Gaunce and especially Horvat.

One plus (IMO) about AV was that he rewarded work ethic first. We'll see how Jensen fairs with Torts? :)

Cheers

#1097 JE14

JE14

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

No Burrows?

Didn't you hear, he died.

HLxDEhn.gif

#1098 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

Shut up.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#1099 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1100 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Each line should have 2 vets and a young player. The young player adds the missing ingredient that the vets don't have to make the line balanced with speed, size, hands, and defensive play.

Sedin Sedin Kassian (Kassian adds some speed and size, hands are good) balanced

Burrows Kesler Jensen (Burrows is the playmaker, Jensen the size and hands) balanced

Booth Schroeder Higgins (Booth gives the line some size, Higgy defensive responsibility and speed)

Guance Richardson Hansen (Gaunce, no pressure on the wing, go out play defensively responsible, get experience and can slot in at C if one of our c's gets hurt). Richardson good faceoff man. Hansen is the man as we all know

4 lines, balanced with youth speed, hands, defensive responsibilty. Only thing we lack is hitting and that's why I wanted us to keep Lappy.

Oh well

Edited by In the Slot, 15 July 2013 - 11:03 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#1101 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

What about loading up like this:

Sedin Sedin Kesler --> Premier NHL top line you can play in any situation, with 2-top centers
Burrows Schroeder Kassian --> Young, fast, and dynamic 2nd line with good puck-retrieval skills, size on wing, and playmaking
Higgins Gaunce Hansen ---> A shutdown 3rd line with speed, skill, and tenacity
Santorelli Richardson Booth --> a solid NHL 4th Line with the ability to score some goals, play north-south, and have 2 centers

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Corrado

Luongo
Lack/Lack2.0
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#1102 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Sedin Sedin Kesler --> Premier NHL top line you can play in any situation, with 2-top centers
Burrows Schroeder Kassian --> Young, fast, and dynamic 2nd line with good puck-retrieval skills, size on wing, and playmaking
Santorelli Richardson Booth --> a solid NHL 4th Line with the ability to score some goals, play north-south, and have 2 centers

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Corrado

Luongo
Lack/Lack2.0

If we're using Booth as a fourth liner, we might as well trade him. A young player could fill that role for much cheaper.

He'll either be in the top 6 or traded IMO. We have too many hungry young players that can fill the bottom 6 for cheaper if Booth can't perform in the top 6.

Edited by DeNiro, 15 July 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image

#1103 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

No Burrows?

I was thinking more when Shinkaruk would be ready. Once him, Gaunce, Horvat, and Jensen are on the team there's not gunna be much room left winger wise. At least if Daniel, Higgins,Hansen, and Kassian are still around if Burrows is still there I'd say with his age and cap hit it would make the most sence to move him. FTR I love Burrows, just trying to think of the lineup with our 4 young guns in it

#1104 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Corrado

Luongo
Lack/Lack2.0

I like it. Get kesler scoring 100 points with the twins then trade him for a kings ransom before his next contract

#1105 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Corrado

Luongo
Lack/Lack2.0

If we're using Booth as a fourth liner, we might as well trade him. A young player could fill that role for much cheaper.

He'll either be in the top 6 or traded IMO. We have too many hungry young players that can fill the bottom 6 for cheaper if Booth can't perform in the top 6.

Hansen would be a better fit on the 4th line than Booth. Not to say anything is wrong with the Great Dane, but one of his biggest strength is his ability to adapt to whatever the role of the line is.

Booth should be moved to the 2nd line, as he is a proven top-6 player.

Kassian should be moved to the 3rd to develop more. Less pressure and out against the 3rd pairing defensemen. With his speed and size, he can be very effective.

#1106 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Corrado

Luongo
Lack/Lack2.0

2 years ago I argued Kesler should be brought up to provide a more physical element than Burrows can bring; plus he's a better goal scorer. But we had Hodgson at the time.

I still like this line up you have posted here. Not just because Kesler with the Twins looks like a dynamite line, but because Gaunce at 212 lbs and fit as pit bull also intrigues me as centre on a defensive line? It still leaves Schroeder, now more mature to play an offensive role...

#1107 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

The reservation I have with moving Kesler to a line with an already productive center is we're reducing how effective we can be on faceoffs. Kesler is our top center in that regard, and Hank isn't exactly bad, so having them share the role wouldn't be as useful as having them on separate lines.

It also has the effect of putting a less effective faceoff man in Schroeder on the 2nd line. I like a lot of what he does but faceoffs haven't been his strong suit so far and we'd need our 2nd line to share a lot of minutes with the 1st to help balance the offensive workload. Having Schroeder on Kesler's wing is something I don't mind since he is a good playmaker and it'd allow Kesler's faceoff strengths to shine as well.

As far as the 3rd, we'll have to see who else is reliable enough not only on faceoffs but in open play to stick. They'll also have to find chemistry with at least Hansen, who's a lock for 3rd line RW, but also one of Higgins or possibly Booth. We'll have to see what happens in camp, if one of Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat or Richardson really steps up and grabs the spot. The 4th can easily be decided from there with what we have left.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1108 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

From what I have seen and heard about Gaunce is that most likely he wont make the team this year. Still needs a year or two of development, and getting good minutes in Utica should do just fine. Not going to be a top six guy that most people want him to be in my opinion.

Edited by CanuckRow, 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

Posted Image

#1109 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

From what I have seen and heard about Gaunce is that most likely he wont make the team this year. Still needs a year or two of development, and getting good minutes in Utica should do just fine. Not going to be a top six guy that most people want him to be in my opinion.

He's still 19 and won't be AHL eligible this year so it's either NHL or back to Belleville. Knowing that, I'm not convinced another year in the OHL would be as beneficial to Gaunce's development as having him play 12-15 minutes a night in the NHL. Sometimes players learn and develop best by being thrown in the deep end without their floaties so to speak. Gaunce is one player who I think could handle that given his incredible physical development at 19.

#1110 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,425 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

The reservation I have with moving Kesler to a line with an already productive center is we're reducing how effective we can be on faceoffs. Kesler is our top center in that regard, and Hank isn't exactly bad, so having them share the role wouldn't be as useful as having them on separate lines.

It also has the effect of putting a less effective faceoff man in Schroeder on the 2nd line. I like a lot of what he does but faceoffs haven't been his strong suit so far and we'd need our 2nd line to share a lot of minutes with the 1st to help balance the offensive workload. Having Schroeder on Kesler's wing is something I don't mind since he is a good playmaker and it'd allow Kesler's faceoff strengths to shine as well.

As far as the 3rd, we'll have to see who else is reliable enough not only on faceoffs but in open play to stick. They'll also have to find chemistry with at least Hansen, who's a lock for 3rd line RW, but also one of Higgins or possibly Booth. We'll have to see what happens in camp, if one of Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat or Richardson really steps up and grabs the spot. The 4th can easily be decided from there with what we have left.

I hope we get to see at least a couple games, pre-season or otherwise, with something along these lines.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian
Booth, Schroeder, Kesler (Kes still taking draws)
Burrows, Gaunce/Richardson/Horvat, Hansen
Higgins, Richardson/Sant/Guance/Lain/Weise

Kassian and Burrow can swap if Kass is not looking ready.

That second line is FAST and finally has someone to get Kes/Booth the puck (passing is one of Jordan's better strengths IMO). Kes still takes draws (one of his better strengths).

Burrows and Hansen are EXCEEDINGLY good checkers and could fill in with timely offense with whichever C earns that spot.

Higgins on the 4th mean we can actually roll four lines.

Not saying that's going to be the 82 gane season lineup as it's a stretch that Jordan's ready for 2nd line responsibility.... but I'd LOVE to see it for at least a couple games as it really puts guys in positions of strength IMO. To me that's just one hella balanced lineup if guys show they're ready.

Edited by J.R., 17 July 2013 - 11:48 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.