The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tommorow... Every one of us

Merci

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Action heating up. Progress is being made on potential Luongo trade. Nothing imminent, but...more ahead on TSN. #TSN

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

#SNdraft Told #Leafs #Canucks have not spoken today regarding Luongo so if talks heating up its assumed to be with another #NHLclub

well there is something going on with the Canucks and Luongo and a team other than Toronto

He's trying to get people to pay attention to him and tune into TSN.

Not saying a trade won't happen, but trade talk is just that: talk. Until it's confirmed that Luongo, Nash, Bobby Ryan, ect. have moved and the trade is done I consider anything being "reported" as bullsh*t hype and ego posturing.

How about Ales Hemsky ($5 million)? Maybe David Jones ($4 million), Rick DiPietro ($4.5 million), Shawn Horcroff ($5.5 million), Ryan Smith ($6.25 million), or Dion Phaneuf ($6.5 million), or Scott Gomez ($7.4 million)?

All overpaid and marginal players. There are plenty of players in this league who are being overpaid for only minor contributions to their club. Luongo as a starter is worth $5-million per year and has led us to within 1 game of winning it all.

I'm not saying we wouldn't be overpaying for him to play a 15 or so less games in a season but we wouldn't be overpaying by much and I think it's worth the trade off. Giving him up is shortsighted. A player like Luongo could take a pile of crap team like the Leafs and put them in serious playoff contention. Schneider is still an unproven concept and I don't personally think the team should throw everything away because Luongo had a "rough" year by his standards. We still won the presidents trophy with him as our number one.

Look at the examples around the league as to why you should never hedge your bets on a goaltender after one season.

James Reimer - Was set to be the Leafs number one starter after tearing up the second half of the 2010-2011 season and sucked last season.

Steve Mason - Was great his rookie season, but has been absolutely terrible ever since.

Vesa Toskola: Same as above

Rick DiPietro - Put up solid numbers until he signed his long-term contract and has been either injured or terrible ever since.

i am pretty sure its the injures it was because he had serious 2 surgeries on the left knee, 1 surgery on the right knee and many concussion, 2 more accounts of him playing too hard or coming early causing his knee to swell up and a facial injury. He also this year had a concussion and a groin injury. The only people think he is terrible is that he keeps coming back from all those injures to play which for some reason makes it less sever. I wouldn't say he is overpaid but injury plagued

A lot of the criticism around Luongo IS valid, but would we be where we are today without him? Absolutely not.

He is a workhorse, a proven starter and one of the world's elite goaltenders. Schneider will be, but to say he is now is pre-mature. The guy at times puts Lu to shame but there is a huge difference between doing so while only playing 30-35 games and doing so playing 50-60 games. Those 15-20 games make a HUGE difference on a player's performance over the course of a season.

The people who will eat him alive will be roberto fans who are upset he has caused their favorite player to be traded. They are already foaming at the mouth for the opportunity to criticize him and tell everyone they warned us we should keep roberto. And the circle repeats. The same thing they criticize fans for in the way they treat roberto.

Its already starting roberto fans are questioning schneider and trying to prove he is not legit starter.

The people who will eat him alive will be roberto fans who are upset he has caused their favorite player to be traded. They are already foaming at the mouth for the opportunity to criticize him and tell everyone they warned us we should keep roberto. And the circle repeats. The same thing they criticize fans for in the way they treat roberto.

Its already starting roberto fans are questioning schneider and trying to prove he is not legit starter.

well I am going to hold him to the Luongo standard what ever was expected of Luongo is going to be expected of Schnider which include him to bring home the Stanley cup and out duel all the goalies that he faces and be a top elite goalie until he his at least 35

Archived