The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tommorow... Every one of us

Merci

Who do you want us to sign? Weber? Suter? Not going to happen. Who do you want us to trade for? Staal? Ryan? How about someone from Toronto?

Who does Toronto have that Burke would be willing to give up that is worth a damn? Lupul, Kessel, Grabovski, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Liles, Schenn aren't going anywhere. Burke has said publicly he refuses to trade any of them.

How many other teams have a need for an upgrade in goaltending? How many would we trade with? Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim? That would be a cold day in Hell.

There is no one in this free agent market and very little in the way of viable trades. If Luongo goes, everyone is assuming we're going to like what we get in return. If we trade him we will get NOTHING for him that improves our roster. You assume a top-6 forward means a guy like Bobby Ryan or Jordan Stall, in reality it probably means someone closer to the calibre of Scott Gomez or another Mason Raymond. Not a 30-40 goal scorer who puts up 80 points but someone who's team no longer wants them and we'd would be settling for: a 15-20 goal scorer who is lucky to put up 30 points. We already have that in Raymond and nobody want us to keep him.

No thanks.

A goalie like Luongo only comes along every once in a while. There are only a handful of elite goaltenders available at any given time and we have one in Luongo and in another 2-3 years we might have one Schneider. The point is, Schneider is not at that level YET.

We don't need to trade Luongo. Period. It will be tight, but we have cap room to keep both goaltenders for at least another couple of seasons until the cap opens up.

With a $70.3 million cap, we have $14.6 million left to maneuver. Of all our free agents assume we resign:

- Schneider $3 million (more than I think he'll get)

- Raymond $3 million (more than I think he deserves)

- Salo $2 million

- Rome for $1 million (a 25% raise from last year's hit)

- Gragnani $1 million (raise from last year's $550,000 hit)

- Weise to $750,000 (a raise on last year's $605,000 hit)

- Ebbet $750,000 (raised from last year's $525,000 hit)

- Bitz two-way $750,000 contract ($50,00 raise from last year's hit)

Given that I've assumed all our players receive a sizable raise from their previous salaries/cap hits, we're left with at least $2.15 million to move. That gives us $2-3 million dollars worth of flexibility with the EXACT same team we had last year.

Assuming that some players might get re-signed to be moved later (Raymond *fingers crossed*, Gragnani) and others may either walk, retire or not get re-signed (Ebbett, Salo, Rome). We can assume that we might in reality have about $4-5 million in flexibility not including the potential to move a player like Ballard who has a $4.2 million hit.

The fact is, in this free agent market it is very unlikely we're going to be able to sign a high impact player like Weber and any modifications to our roster will be modest regardless of whether we have Luongo or not.

Hasn't happened as of this moment, but will eventually happen.

We could possibly see Lou traded during Day 2 of the Draft tomorrow mornign, but I wont hold my breath,

Gillis has to get the best possible return for Lou, and that could likely take longer than expected.

Even though I'm happy with the team keeping Schneider, and glad that we're trading Luongn instead, I will certainly be sad to see him go. But I know it's the best for the franchise in the long run.

Archived