Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Tommorow... Every one of us

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#91 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ah well after the Canucks make their first selection it's time for a nap. Maybe when I wake up then? Or tomorrow ish?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#92 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Rather have the Luu.
Posted Image

#93 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

I will awake in 2 hours, 24 minutes to breathe a fresh breath of Bobby Lu still our #1 ;)

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#94 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I will awake in 2 hours, 24 minutes to breathe a fresh breath of Bobby Lu still our #1 ;)

#2.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#95 Hockey!?

Hockey!?

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

#2.

Shows how much you know about hockey :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#96 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

A goalie like Luongo only comes along every once in a while. There are only a handful of elite goaltenders available at any given time and we have one in Luongo and in another 2-3 years we might have one Schneider. The point is, Schneider is not at that level YET.

We don't need to trade Luongo. Period. It will be tight, but we have cap room to keep both goaltenders for at least another couple of seasons until the cap opens up.

With a $70.3 million cap, we have $14.6 million left to maneuver. Of all our free agents assume we resign:
- Schneider $3 million (more than I think he'll get)
- Raymond $3 million (more than I think he deserves)
- Salo $2 million
- Rome for $1 million (a 25% raise from last year's hit)
- Gragnani $1 million (raise from last year's $550,000 hit)
- Weise to $750,000 (a raise on last year's $605,000 hit)
- Ebbet $750,000 (raised from last year's $525,000 hit)
- Bitz two-way $750,000 contract ($50,00 raise from last year's hit)

Given that I've assumed all our players receive a sizable raise from their previous salaries/cap hits, we're left with at least $2.15 million to move. That gives us $2-3 million dollars worth of flexibility with the EXACT same team we had last year.

Assuming that some players might get re-signed to be moved later (Raymond *fingers crossed*, Gragnani) and others may either walk, retire or not get re-signed (Ebbett, Salo, Rome). We can assume that we might in reality have about $4-5 million in flexibility not including the potential to move a player like Ballard who has a $4.2 million hit.

The fact is, in this free agent market it is very unlikely we're going to be able to sign a high impact player like Weber and any modifications to our roster will be modest regardless of whether we have Luongo or not.

What the.... I don't even?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hasn't happened as of this moment, but will eventually happen.

We could possibly see Lou traded during Day 2 of the Draft tomorrow mornign, but I wont hold my breath,

Gillis has to get the best possible return for Lou, and that could likely take longer than expected.

Even though I'm happy with the team keeping Schneider, and glad that we're trading Luongn instead, I will certainly be sad to see him go. But I know it's the best for the franchise in the long run.

#98 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

And bobby Lu is still our guy :)

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#99 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

And bobby Lu is still our guy :)

Tomorrow is still not here.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#100 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

lol you mean like what the schneider fans are doing/did to Lu ?

just hoping MG is able to make a hockey trade

This is exactly what I mean, lou fans think schneider fans are ruining poor robertos reputation. As i said the circle repeats. The irony is that its roberto fans who scold fans for picking on our starter, and will now do the same thing to schneider.

#101 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

well I am going to hold him to the Luongo standard what ever was expected of Luongo is going to be expected of Schnider which include him to bring home the Stanley cup and out duel all the goalies that he faces and be a top elite goalie until he his at least 35

Do you hold roberto to that standard? Do you tell fans he needs to out duel every goalie he faces? I doubt it. Did you also hold roberto to that standard at age 26-27? This should all factor in considering schneider is young and is our future not just right now. You also realize roberto is 33, and is not elite at 35 considering he is 33 right now?

Regardless the two posters above deserve respect for at least beind honest, to many roberto fans try to hide the fact they simply dont care for schneider and will be hard on him.

As for roberto he wont be traded tomorrow unless gillis gets a decent value. He knows as well as everyone keeping roberto is not ideal to start the season, but once november-december hits and teams get off to a typical slow start more teams will become desperate.

We dont play well in october anyway, if it means waiting we mine as well wait until the market is more friendly. For cap space purposes its not ideal but im confident some team will offer fair value for him by the end of the year.

With that said I think gillis makes a push to off load him before the season starts, if not sooner, but he went to alot of trouble to sign him, he wont let him go for luke schenn.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 23 June 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#102 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Well I woke up again. Bobby Lu still our guy :)

#103 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

#2.

Wait a minute - in the other thread you're arguing that Luongo is an elite goaltender. If he's our number 2 goalie then does that mean that Schnieder is even MORE elite than Luongo?

Wow - we're lucky!

#104 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Wait a minute - in the other thread you're arguing that Luongo is an elite goaltender. If he's our number 2 goalie then does that mean that Schnieder is even MORE elite than Luongo?

Wow - we're lucky!

My god this site makes we sad for the future. Princess, I do not need to love 1 and hate the other. Luongo has proven to be elite for several years, that doesn't mean I think we need to keep him forever. It is time for a change and we all saw it get make in game 3. When you consider, salary and age it's ok to want Schneider but not despise Luongo. I realize that kind of complicated thought is too much for many fanboys.

#105 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

My god this site makes we sad for the future. Princess, I do not need to love 1 and hate the other. Luongo has proven to be elite for several years, that doesn't mean I think we need to keep him forever. It is time for a change and we all saw it get make in game 3. When you consider, salary and age it's ok to want Schneider but not despise Luongo. I realize that kind of complicated thought is too much for many fanboys.

Your reading comprehension is really poor so I'll spell it out again "Princess". I have never said I hated Luongo. In fact, I have stated on more than one occasion that I like Luongo and think he gets a bad rap by the fans.

What I have said is that I believe that he is not a top 5 goaltender in the NHL (I think he's in the 6-8 range).

The fact that you label me a "hater" because I don't think Luongo is top 5 is moronic.

Also, if Luongo is an elite, top 5 goaltender (as you claim) then there is no way that you move him and keep a guy that has only played 68 games in the NHL (reg season). You're probably way too young to remember this but there have been many goalies in the past that have had breakout seasons only to turn out to be a flash in the pan.

You're probably going to interpret the above statement as I'm now hating on Schnieder.

Look, the fact that management is considering moving Luongo is proof that they feel Schnieder may be the better goalie going forward. If Luongo was indeed an elite level goalie then this wouldn't even be discussion.

I can't wait to see how you twist this.

#106 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

So is merci taking a mulligan again today? :)

#107 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Oh christ, he isn't top 5 but he might be #6. Fine, you win. Now name the 5 that have been elite for any period of time.

Luongo is older, more expensive, is signed forever. We need to make a decision going forward, do we trade the future for a couple of years or do we get younger and cheaper? The Canucks don't KNOW that Schneider will be able to handle the load as a starter with no safety net but are taking a calculated risk. I think it's a great idea but it certainly isn't a sure thing.

#108 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

.The fact that you label me a "hater" because I don't think Luongo is top 5 is moronic.

Actually, the hater status is a result of the Luongo Gold medal garbage but I have since realized you are just a victim of the media. My apologies.

#109 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

You're probably way too young to remember this but there have been many goalies in the past that have had breakout seasons only to turn out to be a flash in the pan.

While I am sure you can regale me with stories written on old parchment paper, you do know that Schneider isn't one of those 20-21 year old "flash in the pans" right? He has been a slow, steady project that was drafted in the 1st because of how good he is. This isn't a Raycroft, Mason situation. (I\d like to thank my dad for helping me with that historical data)

#110 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Actually, the hater status is a result of the Luongo Gold medal garbage but I have since realized you are just a victim of the media. My apologies.

It's obvious that at least one of us is.

#111 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

While I am sure you can regale me with stories written on old parchment paper, you do know that Schneider isn't one of those 20-21 year old "flash in the pans" right? He has been a slow, steady project that was drafted in the 1st because of how good he is. This isn't a Raycroft, Mason situation. (I\d like to thank my dad for helping me with that historical data)

I'm quite aware of this.

#112 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Oh christ, he isn't top 5 but he might be #6. Fine, you win. Now name the 5 that have been elite for any period of time.

Luongo is older, more expensive, is signed forever. We need to make a decision going forward, do we trade the future for a couple of years or do we get younger and cheaper? The Canucks don't KNOW that Schneider will be able to handle the load as a starter with no safety net but are taking a calculated risk. I think it's a great idea but it certainly isn't a sure thing.

Agreed. And if Luongo was still considered elite this wouldn't even be a discussion. You don't trade an elite level goalie and go with a cheaper, uproven (b/c Schnieder has yet to be starter for an entire season) goalie unless you're rebuilding.

The fact is that Luongo's star status has diminished over the last year.

Call me hater - but that's all I've been saying.

#113 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

How about we get back on topic guys. According to merci luongo has been traded how many times already? I'm starting to think merci just could be a better source than both samjam and ecklund.

#114 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

How about we get back on topic guys. According to merci luongo has been traded how many times already? I'm starting to think merci just could be a better source than both samjam and ecklund.

Fair enough - I think Gradin and I can agree to disagree about Luongo being elite.

To address the actual topic I don't know if Luongo should be traded this offseason as I question the return he'll bring. I think his trade value is low at the moment and I'd like to see him have a really strong season next year before Gillis moves him.

Basically, I think Luongo is a much better goalie than what we're likely to get back in a trade right now.

Maybe Gillis will surprise us and get a reasonable return, though.

#115 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yea, about OP's post :P

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#116 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Soooooooooo.....

#117 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,299 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

"Tomorrow" will be in October.

307mg00.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.