The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassian Overhyped?

SpursCanuck

He's just turned 21. He still has a lot of things to learn. He's going to have to try and learn things as soon as possible. But saying that, it takes time and years in NHL to fully mature.

He can't block shots...

His skating is average...

He takes stupid penalties...

His movement of the puck needs looked at...

Saying all the above he does have some good points that I would like to mention.

He is great down low...

Good puck control...

When he does hit, he can hit big...

To be honest I just think people are expecting to much from Kassian to soon and the lad need time to develope. He has all the traits to be a great power forward but just needs that extra time to develop his game. Coming to Vancouver and being in the spotlight won't be easy for the kid and in turn, in my opinion will make it harder for him.

I hope for one he lives out to his potential and does that with Vancouver.

Will it be the second coming of Cam Neely or will it be Taylor Pyatt all over again...time will tell I suppose.

Discipline is quite teachable, hard to tie that in to potential unless it affects their willingness to train, so I'm not worried about penalties.

I thought his skating looked pretty good, he does seem to need better conditioning in order to be able to use that skating for a full 60 minutes. He is in one of the best places in the NHL in terms of being pressured into improving his conditioning, so I'm not worried there either.

I also thought his puck movement was pretty good, but needs polishing. Can't really comment on blocked shots as I didn't notice that.

Got to be patient with him. Unless your a star, power forwards will develop slower and like you said he is only 21. He put up good numbers in AHL last year before Buffalo brought him up and put him in a 3rd/4th line role

He isn't...but Hodgson certainly was. And the worst thing about CoHo was the fact he believed the hype.

As for Kassian taking "stupid penalities"...HUH? When you throw a good check and a ref arbitarily decides it's a penalty, how is that "stupid"?

Kassian is probably over-hyped, but that's a function of being publicly identified as one of GM MG's targeted players for acquisition and what was a solid junior career.

My opinion of Kassian is that he has all of the tools to be a solid power forward, so if he lives up to expectations, we will have the type of player we need. Conversely, if he fails to fulfill his potential, he'll be a disappointment.

Like all Canucks fans, I'm hoping that he becomes the player that he's projected to be, because he is the type of player that the Canucks are sorely lacking. If it so happens that he's development follows the same trajectory of a Cam Neely or Milan Lucic, all the better. If he follows the development pattern of a Jim Sandlak, Victor Oreskovich, Taylor Pyatt or Steve Bernier, it will be disappointing.

He needs the opportunity to succeed or fail, and I believe that has to happen at the NHL level.

He was a rookie last year, he probably should have been in Chicago but the Canucks wanted his toughness in the lineup. He's shown flashes of the player he can be but hasn't been able to do it consistently yet. Remember, in Hodgson's first year he was completely useless but we all know what happened the next year. Kassian may tear it up next year or it may take a couple years after that but he just needs some time to develop and some patience from the fans.

Archived