The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassian Overhyped?

SpursCanuck

The poor boy, one minute he's chilling in Buffalo just having a good season in the AHL and having a little success on a bad team at the NHL level, and then BAM!!! Now you are in the middle of a freaked out fan base (with half of them thinking we've lost our wonder boy) and before you can say adjusting his game to fit a new system, we have people asking if this was the next Cam Neely trade...*sigh* I think Kassian is going to be great, I saw the Buffalo game last march, and he looked great. All the kid needs is time to develop his game, and I think that patience with the kid will pay off. Look at how long it took Bertuzzi to round out his offensive game, or that Cam Neely became at star a few years after his move to Boston.

I think he won't be as good as what the Canucks gave up to get him. If they had of drafted this kid or signed him out of college I would say great pickup for his potential. Since they traded CoHo for him he has a much higher expectation on him to get there which I think may hamper his development.

He was very overhyped. The worst part about it though, was the fact that it wasn't us fans overhyping him. In fact, the fans were generally outraged we traded Cody for him. Many still are, even though it had to be done. The overhyping was done by our own management. "He is exactly what we need to go deep in the playoffs, he'll be a big part of the team, etc, etc" Unfortunately, it was just them trying to do some damage control. The outrage would have been 10x worse had they just said, "yeah, we traded Cody for a guy who will be going straight to the AHL to continue to develop until he is ready for the NHL level."

Tough situation for management to be honest. Have the ruthless fans rip you a new one for trading an NHL ready player for an AHL developing player, or create unnecessary pressure for Zack by hyping him as our missing playoff piece. I think they should have just taken the heat and said something like "this is a young man who has all the tools to be the type of player who we really need, we will continue to work with him to help him reach his goals, as well as our own." Something like that, anyway.

^

"He is exactly what we need to go deep in the playoffs" = nothing close to what management said.

"this is a young man who has all the tools to be the type of player who we really need" = much closer to what was actually said.

OP - considering none of the four negatives you listed are particularly true, I'd say no, he's not overhyped.

Kassian isn't over-hyped, I honestly think he is under-hyped.

His skating is above average for a guy his size, his hands are also above average. He will be a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL. He needs to add experience obviously, but most importantly he needs confidence and to get in shape. With the right mentorship, he'll turn out to be a real good top 6 forward. Don't expect a superstar though.

lolol like a lot of people have said, he's only 21. He's a year younger than Hodgson.

That being said, just watch him have a beast of a pre-season. A long offseason will do wonders for this kid. Just remember Hodgson of last year being invisible in the playoffs but was a rookie of the year candidate by some this year because of his off season training.

Also he's proven he can play in the AHL, something we haven't seen with our recent high draft picks, with 26points in 30 games.

I still think he has a higher ceiling than Jensen but time will only tell.

Really? Over hyped? Think Dustin Brown, hard hitting with talent. Zack has a ways to go but I dont see anything wrong with his game, he competes hard...

I think the biggest problem he is too much man for canuck fans, on a team with too many b"tches its good to watch someone who can actually bring it and not fall down when pressured with the puck. Its great to see Zack staring down all who oppose when in the other teams crease. Its great to see someone who can actually stand up for himself instead of whining to a ref or falling down to get a call.

If your calling him over hyped then what do you call the rest of this team...

Hodgson was certainly overhyped...Kassian I think is undervalued, but that is a good thing in this market and fanbase. Expectations are the leading cause of disappointments. Now, I think when Kassian is 27 we will have a great idea of how this trade turned out, so I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about it.

under-hyped by fans over-hyped my management probably could be a second liner i don't think he is Bertuzzi in his prime caliber on a unrelated note CBJ acquired Sergei Bobrovsky for 3 draft pics including their second rounder

It's too early to make a judgement about him.

With Cody Hodgson, we all saw the upside at all levels that he played at (he will be a star in the NHL) whereas Kassian is still raw and needs to play some minutes to get better. Whether those minutes are in the AHL or on the Canucks depends on how he responds. If he does what AV wants him to do, he will play but if he decides that he knows more than the coaches, he will be on the farm or traded.....attitude will play a huge part in whether he progresses or not.

As much as I really liked Cody, you can't have Daddy making decisions at this level. Hopefully Cody will grow up a bit and take the next step. If Kassian can come in and do the job assigned to him and trust that the coaches will steer him right so that he does get better then I say give the kid some time to get there.

Archived