The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassian Overhyped?

SpursCanuck

Wow the kid has played 17 games for us and some people are already writing him off? Wow. Just wow.

This fight ended Sestito's season. Sestito is the same guy who ended Horton's season. EDIT: Wow just found out that Sestito is 6'5 228 pounds... and Kassian ended his season... just saying.

This is just a pure snipe.

Here is Kassian dropping Ovechkin who is 6'3 230. That is around the same size as Lucic, who is 6'4 220. But Ovie weighs 10 more pounds.

This has already been posted in this thread but check out his hands and speed.

People need to give the kid a fricken chance. He's only played 17 games for us and some people are already calling him useless? That is stupid. Some people need to learn how to support the players we have on this team.

This is exactly why people were upset with the trade, because according to Gillis he was going to acquire someone for our playoff run, not acquire someone who we will have to wait for, to develop. I'm sure Cody would of sucked it up and played the rest of the year with the Canucks, and I'm sure as hell Cody would of loved the chance to have a playoff run with the Canucks. The trade should of never happened when it did, it was something that could of easily taken place at around this time right now if he really wanted to still be traded, and it would of helped out in a Luongo trade as well.

And yes Kassian is way overhyped on CDC, who think he is like the next Joe Sakic or something in the making, when clearly he will be lucky to transform into the next Bertuzzi, he still won't be as dominate as Bertuzzi, but he will probably be a Bernier 4th liner.

On a side note I thought Oreskovich played better then Kassian, and Canucks gave up on Oreskovich pretty quick, don't be surprised if the Canucks do the same with Kassian.

Kassian will be a Scott Hartnell, or Nash if he plays with veterans that have a style of game he can learn from.

Lapierre Ott ahem ahem ahem

edit: lol look at the high light videos.

The kid needs coaching and good players and a 3rd line role next season.

The problem with Kassian was that before he arrived our top natural right winger was Janik Hansen (burrows is a natural LW who is pretty good on his off side). Danny, Higgins, Booth, Burrows even Raymond are all left side guys (and only Booth had any size).

Kassian I am sure will be pretty good, but we already waited 3 (now 4) years for Cody, it may be as much as six years before we get satisfaction from our 08 pick.

So we really needed a big RW right now!

Thats the only problem with Kassian!

He's just turned 21. He still has a lot of things to learn. He's going to have to try and learn things as soon as possible. But saying that, it takes time and years in NHL to fully mature.

He can't block shots...

His skating is average...

He takes stupid penalties...

His movement of the puck needs looked at...

Saying all the above he does have some good points that I would like to mention.

He is great down low...

Good puck control...

When he does hit, he can hit big...

To be honest I just think people are expecting to much from Kassian to soon and the lad need time to develope. He has all the traits to be a great power forward but just needs that extra time to develop his game. Coming to Vancouver and being in the spotlight won't be easy for the kid and in turn, in my opinion will make it harder for him.

I hope for one he lives out to his potential and does that with Vancouver.

Will it be the second coming of Cam Neely or will it be Taylor Pyatt all over again...time will tell I suppose.

This is exactly why people were upset with the trade, because according to Gillis he was going to acquire someone for our playoff run, not acquire someone who we will have to wait for, to develop. I'm sure Cody would of sucked it up and played the rest of the year with the Canucks, and I'm sure as hell Cody would of loved the chance to have a playoff run with the Canucks. The trade should of never happened when it did, it was something that could of easily taken place at around this time right now if he really wanted to still be traded, and it would of helped out in a Luongo trade as well.

And yes Kassian is way overhyped on CDC, who think he is like the next Joe Sakic or something in the making, when clearly he will be lucky to transform into the next Bertuzzi, he still won't be as dominate as Bertuzzi, but he will probably be a Bernier 4th liner.

On a side note I thought Oreskovich played better then Kassian, and Canucks gave up on Oreskovich pretty quick, don't be surprised if the Canucks do the same with Kassian.

Some of the comments on here just sums up the bleak impatient view of a majority of Canuck fans. Same message board calling Cody a bust last year are now saying that Kassian is a bust cause they expect every player to just come in the league, a new team, a different system to just pick up the game and be a star. 17 games for the Canucks at the age of 21 and already a write off for some of you is ridiculous.

I agree with everything you just said.

Imagine the trade market for Hodgson right now. It would be unbelievable. I said it the day it happened: the Hodgson-Kassian trade will be Gillis' legacy and not in a good way. It was the first move he made that made me seriously question his judgement as a GM simply because of the timing.

If Hodgson wanted out then ship him out, but do so on OUR terms and not his.

We gave up an asset that could have been huge for us right now and we got almost nothing in return. If we tried to trade Kassian right now most teams would laugh at us. Kassian is worth AT BEST a 4th round pick in this year's draft or a prospect from another team's roster. We could have easily traded Hodgson for a top 6 forward or a bottom-6 forward plus a pick.

You have got to be kidding me. It seems you have a hate for Kassian cause that was not even close to Torres hit. Torres clearly leaves his feet and launches into the air. Kassian barely even ran full force at the guy. Torres also contacted the head. Kassian never touched the guys head at all.

Archived