The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassian Overhyped?

SpursCanuck

Kassian is under-hyped.

1. The fact we traded Hodgson for him already made him unpopular.

2. He was awesome early on but not so much down the stretch increasing expectations.

Size, speed, skill, scoring, playmaking, hitting, fighting. A pretty deadly combination.

His weakness is more his mental game and conditioning. I expect those to improve as he matures.

As a first year pro Hodgson put up 30 points in 52 AHL games and 3 points in 20 NHL games. Kassian put up 26 points in 30 AHL games and 10 points in 48 NHL games.

How are people already writing him off??? I think he should be put into a 3rd line offensive role along with Booth and Schroeder/play making centre. 13 minutes per night with a little bit of PP time.

We also got Gragnani. 15 points, +6 in 58 games are decent rookie numbers. He is also the youngest guy since Kronwal to win AHL defenseman of the year.

Under coaching like LA's he would contribute just fine and not be out of place. If he took a penalty, they would tell him right away what to do differently. It wouldn't be about hype or no hype, he'd just be effective, period.

Under the Canucks coaching the system is about guessing what they want him to do without telling him or helping him. I could see him be a good hit the counter attack power forward like Dustin brown on shorthanded breakaways but this mostly takes coaching to anticipate when and where to be for these chances.

So either it will take a few years if slow learning and unlearning bs from the Canucks coaching or under good coaching I could see him start to do well this season.

This "rookie's won't do well" crap mostly exists in vancouver because of spin and politics. If they poured tons of resources into him and he still failed then yea it didn't work. but teams with players half as talented are doing twice as much so something is wrong here in Vancouver. Cough coaching or lack thereof.

Putting his Junior stats and comparing them to Hodgson's would still help Hodgson's case...

Kassian:

Regular season totals

GP:213 G:71 A:121 PTS:192 PIM:358

Playoff Totals

GP:44 G:14 A:21 Pts:35 PIM:85

Hodgson:

Regular season totals

GP: 197 G:114 A:129 PTS:243 PIM:102

Playoff totals:

GP:41 G:20 A:30 PTS:50 PIM:22

Lets compare their world championships stats too

Kassian:

GP:17 G:6 A:8 PTS:14 PIM:31

Hodgson:

GP:17 G:10 A: 23 PTS:33 PIM: 14

I wonder who was actually "over-hyped".

Guest gumballthechewy

Putting his Junior stats and comparing them to Hodgson's would still help Hodgson's case...

Kassian:

Regular season totals

GP:213 G:71 A:121 PTS:192 PIM:358

Playoff Totals

GP:44 G:14 A:21 Pts:35 PIM:85

Hodgson:

Regular season totals

GP: 197 G:114 A:129 PTS:243 PIM:102

Playoff totals:

GP:41 G:20 A:30 PTS:50 PIM:22

Lets compare their world championships stats too

Kassian:

GP:17 G:6 A:8 PTS:14 PIM:31

Hodgson:

GP:17 G:10 A: 23 PTS:33 PIM: 14

I wonder who was actually "over-hyped".

Give him time he's 21. He might not turn out to be a huge scoring machine, but saying that he is a machine. He's big can hit, IMO his skating is above average, is a decent passer, but is a little anxious with the puck, he needs to grow into his game, give him time down in the 3rd line with the Canucks maybe the 4th line, and let him have regular ice time. He will be a 20 goal scorer in the future, big physical boy, with some offensive prowess. Give him time don't i'm not jumping the bandwagon yet on this guy.

I predict he becomes a 50-40 point scorer within the next few seasons. Big guy, mean streak, will drop the gloves, soft hands and a good shot. Not many of these "Nash" like players come around on a daily basis if you know what I mean. Not only is he YOUNG, he can learn the game from some of the best players in the League (Sedins, Kesler, etc).

Give him a chance. He will be special.

Archived