The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft Brendan Gaunce at 26th Overall

Southpop45

True enough. :)

There could be a lot of things we don't know about. What we can react to is what we do know, the most prominent being that there were issues with conditioning and defensive play. The "other" side of the discussion, for the most part, has only speculation which boils down to"AV HATEZ YUNG PLAYRZ!!!".

Well, AV might well hate young players, especially if they show up to camp out of shape and don't keep up with their checking assigments. Why should those guys get a free pass to decide how they will play?

regards,

G.

I was hoping we would pick Gaunce. He's the rugged Canadian centre we need.

I watched the interview with Henrik and Ulf Samuelsson earlier in the day. Henrik didn't come off as the sharpest cat. You know what I'm saying?

p.s.

Wooooooooooooooooo!!

Why would they even bother mentioning it then...?

Gilman went out of his way to make a little speech about it... saying they've never given a retired number to another player etc etc

Yes I'm aware of what year it is :rolleyes: I just thought it was somewhat odd for him to come out and announce it on such a grand stage when he simply could have just talked to Smyl beforehand and said "hey it's just the way the draft is this year, he's just getting it for the day"...

It's not like anyone outside of Vancouver knows Smyl wore #12, nevermind that it's retired. Smells odd to me...

Needs to work on his skating. A center. From Markham, Ontario. Shows leadership skills. Good two-way ability. Wears a retired Canucks' number on his back.

It's Coho all over again.

Here comes icetime arguments, phonecalls from the parents, trade to some team in the states, etc.

BoGo time! Wooooooo!

I was a borderline Hodgson fan. At first, I was not sold on the trade, mostly because I, like a lot of others, was expecting something "bigger". By bigger I don't mean that Hodgson should have brought back a guy like Staal (because Hodgson just isn't that good), but rather that there would have been more in the way of help for right now. Yeah, I was hoping for a guy a bit older, but still in his playing prime. And he would help with the team's efforts in last year's playoffs.

We got Kassian, and after seeing him for a few games, I do like the trade. He's going to be good.

One of the drawbacks of keeping Hodgson for the playoffs is that there was a good likelihood that the team could no longer play him in "sheltered" minutes situations. Hodgson might have put up a goodly amount of points, but I suspect that he would also be shown to be weaker in face-offs, that his defensive play was suspect, his average skating would be hi-lited, and his lack of physical play would be there for all the world to see. How would all of that being shown helped to drive his price up?

As "Timberwolf"(a poster in another thread) noted, "Kassian is in the unfortunate position of not being compared to CoHo, but what some people believe CoHo was going to turn into." It's hard to fight a legend, even if the legend is only in someone's mind and not in reality.

regards,

G.

Archived