The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft Brendan Gaunce at 26th Overall

Southpop45

The whole AV hates kidz is just alittle over our heads and we can't speculate on things like that unless we are sitting on the bench. But you have to admit that our farm and future prospects have diminished and the future isn't looking that great.

I thought this is a great pick, and hopefully within a few years he will develop well. I find it interesting that he came out of the same program as Hodgson in Markham, and also trains with the Gary Roberts camp.

Is this just a coincidence that we replace our top center prospect with a harder working, positive attitude younger kid from not only the same town, but same development programs? And if not, I wonder if there will be any anymosity in the Roberts camp this summer after the whole fiasco.

Roberts said he wanted to make Gillis look like a moron, hopefully that was just a heat of the moment response and not something to make his relationship with the Canucks awkward while training our newest pick.

Just keep him away from Hodgsons' dad! Lol

Your right it wouldn't have driven his price up. But for once i would like to develope a player fully and watch him play for us for a long time. Management had patience with kesler and that paid divi's. Not sure if you know the joke about the two bulls on the hill staring at the cows?. But if you do. I for one want to walk down and f@ck them all if you catch my drift.

Your right it wouldn't have driven his price up. But for once i would like to develope a player fully and watch him play for us for a long time. Management had patience with kesler and that paid divi's. Not sure if you know the joke about the two bulls on the hill staring at the cows?. But if you do. I for one want to walk down and f@ck them all if you catch my drift.

The AV specualtion was my point, and yet pro-Hodgson folks use that as a "fact" to explain why certain players do not make it here.

The farm is looking a bit thin. In part this is because picks have been used for guys who were brought in to help the team win now. There can be endless discussion on the merits of each trade (even I don't like some of them) which is for another thread. :P

The other reason the farm is looking thin is because the team has been successful. The further down you go the lesser the chances are that you get a keeper.

Finally, if we want to talk scouting, there are lots of teams who miss players, even if they are in their own backyard. No team's scouting is perfect. Weber was picked by Nashville in the 2nd round, with their *third* 2nd round pick.

regards,

G.

But what about: the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen, Raymond (love him or hate him), maybe/hopefully Schneider?

Not drafted but taken as free agents and developed by the Canucks: Burrows, Tanev.

I get what your point is, but I'd suggest that Hodgson is as much a victim of BPA as anything else. Once he was a Canuck the only chance he had of playing here for a long time was if Sedin or Kesler was out of the picture.

regards,

G.

PS - and I'll see your bull joke and raise you this:

Two bulls are out in the field one late Autumn morning.

First bull: "Brrr, kinda' cool out here, ain't it?,"

Second bull: :Yeah, it is. I think I'll go to the barn and slip into a nice warm jersey."

The canucks have been very successful you are correct. But the twins and kes and burr won't be around forever. The future of this team scares me alittle. Maybe i should have alittle more faith in management and that they will develop the right players the right way. But it's been customary for the canucks to be a winning hockey club and i really want that to continue after we lose the twins and our other role players.

True enough, in that the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are probably not around for more than perhaps another 3 - 5 years. However, Kesler is only 27, Hansen is 26, Schneider (assuming he isn't traded) is only 26. With guys like Kassian (21), Jensen (19), Lack (24), and now Gaunce (18) I think the Canucks aren't in that bad shape at all. The only caveat in this is that I see the prospects on defence as being a bit thin. There is Sauve (22) and Connauton (22), Gragnani (25) and Tanev (22), but I wouldn't say that the Canucks have a huge amount of depth in these guys. They're going to be good, but just how good remains to be seen.

regards,

G.

True enough, in that the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are probably not around for more than perhaps another 3 - 5 years. However, Kesler is only 27, Hansen is 26, Schneider (assuming he isn't traded) is only 26. With guys like Kassian (21), Jensen (19), Lack (24), and now Gaunce (18) I think the Canucks aren't in that bad shape at all. The only caveat in this is that I see the prospects on defence as being a bit thin. There is Sauve (22) and Connauton (22), Gragnani (25) and Tanev (22), but I wouldn't say that the Canucks have a huge amount of depth in these guys. They're going to be good, but just how good remains to be seen.

regards,

G.

The only problem is we don't really have any sniper or pure skill guys in the farm. Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce are great, but to me they're all power forward type players. Where are our future playmakers and snipers?

regards,

G.

Archived