Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks draft Brendan Gaunce at 26th Overall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
329 replies to this topic

#301 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

He had to, he was never gonna be given the chance. The only 2 games he played, he was the best canuck on the ice and he had a one way ticket to Manitoba...why? because he was keeping the seat warm for Mason Raymond. Sergei would've scored 5 goals that game and he wouldn't even get a sniff on the same minutes Raymond was.

#302 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yes cause people without hindsight chose the better options at the time. How dare they not look into the future and choose to pick someone who showed up at camp out of shape instead of someone who just had a 25 goal season. Those stupid people. I can't wait till three years later so I can tell them all the mistakes they made now so I can look like I'm smart and have great knowledge on how to run a team.

What about this season and the season before? Frankly we give Mason Raymond every chance to succeed and hes failed. Sorry but less than 15 goals with the amount of minutes hes playing isn't good enough. The guy is absolute garbage. Zack Kassian can't sprout his wings unless we give him a chance too.

Remember the playoffs ..when Raymond gave a real effort on backchecking Anze Kopitar I think it was game 2, which Kopitar scored...guess what? Raymond was back on the ice again right after. Intermission, Bowness said AV put Raymond in to see if he can have a bounce back shift....Do you think Hodgson or Kassian would be afforded that chance? NO.

Thats why AV is a horrible coach. 2 presidents trophies ? big deal..nobody cares about how many of those we win. Ron Wilson has a few of those nobody gives a rats a$$

#303 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,461 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

What about this season and the season before? Frankly we give Mason Raymond every chance to succeed and hes failed. Sorry but less than 15 goals with the amount of minutes hes playing isn't good enough. The guy is absolute garbage. Zack Kassian can't sprout his wings unless we give him a chance too.

Remember the playoffs ..when Raymond gave a real effort on backchecking Anze Kopitar I think it was game 2, which Kopitar scored...guess what? Raymond was back on the ice again right after. Intermission, Bowness said AV put Raymond in to see if he can have a bounce back shift....Do you think Hodgson or Kassian would be afforded that chance? NO.

Thats why AV is a horrible coach. 2 presidents trophies ? big deal..nobody cares about how many of those we win. Ron Wilson has a few of those nobody gives a rats a$$

Everybody hates Raymond: New Sitcom
Who would play Raymond?

#304 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Nice pick, better than Calgary's and Calgary moved down to get theirs. Nice move Gillis.
Another reason Calgary won't be a threat any time soon.

#305 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Will gaunce have a chance at making team Canada at the wj this winter?

#306 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Will gaunce have a chance at making team Canada at the wj this winter?

yeah, i think so. :)

#307 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Nice pick, better than Calgary's and Calgary moved down to get theirs. Nice move Gillis.
Another reason Calgary won't be a threat any time soon.

You do realize that moving down to get their pick was a good idea, right?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#308 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Sedins was a typo in my part but I was obviously talking about Hank, since that's what I said throughout the paragraph.

Every goal bollard scores when Hank is in the ice is his responsibility since its his man and bolland isn't even the most offensively gifted guy. Obviously henrik is one of the best players in the league at what he does, but he isn't the guy I'd trust defensively and since his hockey iq is off the charts, it has to be his speed and poor skating causing the problem.

Henrys IS an elite centre which is why I said he isn't as good as OTHER elite centers defensively. My argument is that his speed hurts his defensive game.

We got a good one here.
Ignorant much? On the backcheck, the wingers responsibility is the d-man. The opposing winger is covered by a d-man.The centers have each other to cover.......... This is the usual, but many times the center is in too deep to cover his man. In those instances, one of the wingers picks up the center and our center takes a trailing d-man. This occurs quite frequently on our team. Blaming those defensive breakdowns on Henrik is too easy. If you watch each of those goals separately, you will see what I mean. If not, then there is no point in even talking about it.

My ex texted me to get my daughter, thus the incomplete thought.

Edited by RWMc1, 25 June 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth.  Get it together and bring it here!! 

Cupquester "Who is that horrible little twerp?"

#309 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Why would they even bother mentioning it then...?

Gilman went out of his way to make a little speech about it... saying they've never given a retired number to another player etc etc

Yes I'm aware of what year it is :rolleyes: I just thought it was somewhat odd for him to come out and announce it on such a grand stage when he simply could have just talked to Smyl beforehand and said "hey it's just the way the draft is this year, he's just getting it for the day"...

It's not like anyone outside of Vancouver knows Smyl wore #12, nevermind that it's retired. Smells odd to me...

Relax. He won't be wearing the #12.

They just talked about Smyl and the #12 to honor Smyls 34 years with the Canucks.

Like the other 100 or so ppl said every draftee wore a #12 jersey because of the year 2012.

#310 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

Relax. He won't be wearing the #12.

They just talked about Smyl and the #12 to honor Smyls 34 years with the Canucks.

Like the other 100 or so ppl said every draftee wore a #12 jersey because of the year 2012.

Indeed, it was a nice touch to honour Smyl like that. Also fitting in that they're hoping Gaunce embodies everything Smyl stood for - hard work, character and drive.

Get excited folks!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#311 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

He's such a baby face lol! not that that matters or anything.
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#312 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Excellent pick-up. Luck he was still available.
Posted Image

#313 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Indeed, it was a nice touch to honour Smyl like that. Also fitting in that they're hoping Gaunce embodies everything Smyl stood for - hard work, character and drive.

Get excited folks!

They weren't honoring Smyl, it's the 2012 draft. Have you never watched a draft before?

#314 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

We got a good one here.
Ignorant much? On the backcheck, the wingers responsibility is the d-man. The opposing winger is covered by a d-man.The centers have each other to cover.

huh? Bolland is a centre, so a centre you are saying Henrik was responsible for covering him.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#315 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,126 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image

PBF020-Skub.gif

#316 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,461 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I don't often listen to Team 1040. But I do sometimes when I'm driving.

Blake price is an idiot, half the stuff he says leaves me shaking my head.

Today he was saying he would rather draft a boom or bust prospect in the 1st round over a sure fire NHL player.

He's like "I need someone to get excited about".

Well become an Oilers fan then Blake.

/Rant

This is why I don't listen to 1040.

#317 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Looks like the kind of player that'll have a good long career here. Look forward to seeing him develop into a superstar.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#318 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

huh? Bolland is a centre, so a centre you are saying Henrik was responsible for covering him.

I edited to finish the thought. Although the way I originally left it is quite typical of CDC.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

#319 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

They weren't honoring Smyl, it's the 2012 draft. Have you never watched a draft before?

No I haven't, so I was wondering why they didn't raise his jersey to the rafters... :rolleyes:

Perhaps honouring was not the right word, but they hadn't acknowledged their alumni like this in previous drafts, say '09, '10 and '11.

#320 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

No I haven't, so I was wondering why they didn't raise his jersey to the rafters... :rolleyes:

Perhaps honouring was not the right word, but they hadn't acknowledged their alumni like this in previous drafts, say '09, '10 and '11.

Because none of those jersey numbers are retired. Smyl's is.

#321 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Because none of those jersey numbers are retired. Smyl's is.

It's remarkable that something this simple has to be said.

Guys, not only is his jersey retired, he has been with the team since his rookie season in some capacity. MAYBE, just maybe, something else is up and they were just acknowledging Smyl and the #12.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#322 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Do any pro-Raymond fans have a counter for this? Or even pro-AV fans? How in the hell does Raymond get sooooo many chances even though he hasn't flashed much promise other than a perimeter 25 goal ceiling player, but Shirokov scores a goal in his first game and gets sent down to the AHL immediately. Mind boggling.

#323 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

It's remarkable that something this simple has to be said.

Guys, not only is his jersey retired, he has been with the team since his rookie season in some capacity. MAYBE, just maybe, something else is up and they were just acknowledging Smyl and the #12.

I just thought it was a nice touch for the Canucks to mention and acknowledge Smyl in the process as they were going to put a #12 on Gaunce for the occasion anyway. Even more significant as they're hoping Gaunce has all the traits Smyl exemplified - hard work, character and determination. ::D

#324 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Bump :)

Does anyone know what number Gaunce will actually wear when he joins te Canucks? I was thinking 26..
Posted Image

#325 NewSedinTwin

NewSedinTwin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

They gave him Smyls retired number? WTF is up with that ?!

I hope your kidding. Its the draft year 2012='12=All Jersey Numbers in the draft is 12... Anyways, this is a really exciting pick!!
Post 100: Feb.15.10
Post 200: Mar.20.10

#326 skeena1

skeena1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

How can you not like a guy who tweets this:

@BrendanGaunce16
First time on a train, I know the destination is Belleville, but secretly hoping and wanting it to be on the way to Hogwarts...

#327 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

how is Gaunce's foot speed? Can he improve this?

I know you don't have to have great foot speed to succeed in the NHL (i.e. Sedins), but Henrik and Daniel are exceptional players. Gaunce isn't the fastest player, is it possible for him to improve his footspeed so that he becomes better at this?

#328 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I know you don't have to have great foot speed to succeed in the NHL (i.e. Sedins), but Henrik and Daniel are exceptional players. Gaunce isn't the fastest player, is it possible for him to improve his footspeed so that he becomes better at this?

greeting time traveler. How are you yesterday?

#329 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Do any pro-Raymond fans have a counter for this? Or even pro-AV fans? How in the hell does Raymond get sooooo many chances even though he hasn't flashed much promise other than a perimeter 25 goal ceiling player, but Shirokov scores a goal in his first game and gets sent down to the AHL immediately. Mind boggling.

Is your mind still boggled?

#330 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm not sure how his speed is, but he's certainly defensively responsible. He's also putting up good numbers for a defensive forward. He was named the best defensive forward in the OHL's Eastern Conference.

This would be the place to look if you want to keep tabs on him.

http://forum.canucks...k/page__st__600

Edited by Azial, 15 March 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.