329 replies to this topic

#151 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Grabner, Shirokov and Hodgson all showed that they weren't committed to this team. They were moved out. I hope they do well in their future endeavors.

regards,
G.

I'm not 100% sold on that. I think that management were alittle to eager to flex there muscles and we lost out on some great talent. History shows same thing will happen to this guy and many others.

#152 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

You're still on the Bruins?!? We see them once a year....if that. That's a terrible way to approach why we should draft a player.

Calm down buddy I wasn't being serious.

Also, I'm also hearing that Gaunce can play LW as well, can anyone confirm? If so, it gives us more options as to where we play him down the road.

#153 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

it's because it's the 2012 draft. 2012= #12

It shows what type of so called hockey experts grace CDC

Wow

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#154 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

What a joke, then Phoenix gets Samuelsson to put salt in the wounds...

FOR ONCE I wanted a player to be excited about....is it so much to ask.

Gaunce > Samuelsson

Besides, we have Kassian already for that role.

But I have to admit, after picking Gaunce, I was sure hoping we traded up to get Samuelsson in the second round if he went undrafted tonight.

#155 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

A bit off topic, but I think Craig Button at the draft looked a lot like Dustin Hoffman.

#156 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Wrong, Grabner was traded to acquire Ballard, which has NOTHING to do with his commitment to the team, Same with Shirokov. Fact is theres one guy that throuroughly blame other than AV for all those guys being gone, and thats Mason Raymond. Raymond has the top 6 spot in stone while those guys regardless how they did were never going to be afforded the chance. Its the same reason for all of them, "no spots on the top 6" funny how worthless Raymond is and he still gets his minutes

Right, in point of fact. Grabner showed he wasn't willing to do those things which were required of him, like coming to camp in shape and playing well in his own end. Shirokov had problems in these areas as well. These things made them expendable and therefore easy for the team to consider moving them.

Raymond hasn't played well in the team's end since that one good season, but he has been a more effective checker than Grabner or Shorkov. Would I like a guy who scores more than Raymond? Sure. Heck, I'd even be okay if Raymond scored more often. Would I be okay if that guy sucked in his defensive game? No.

Interesting thing about people who support players like Grabner or Shirokov: the problems these players have are never of their own doing. I had always heard that somehow, Grabner coming to camp out of shape was AV's fault. If they don't back-check, then that was also AV's fault.

But now I hear from you that because Raymond does do these simple things, in an attempt to still be of value to his team, now we discover that he is also at fault for these guys' shortcomings as professional hockey players. Thanks for that insight.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#157 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Odds on Gaunce being traded within 3 years for a winger?

:bigblush:

No Need, Gaunce can play the Wing aswell ::D

zackass.png

#158 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Good pick by Gillis and company. Looking forward to seeing him develop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeseuHNRhF4

Notice in the videos a few shots of Gaunce's team mate Carter Sandlak, son of Canucks #4 pick in 1985, Jim "the House" Sandlak. Unfortunately the House was a big forward that didn't develop into the dominating player we hoped but I think the scouting is much better these days and Gaunce will be a very good player.

Not sure about the slow foot speed comments, Gaunce looks like he can pull away from defenders and is in no way the same laboured skater that Cody is.

#159 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

i was excited when samuelsson wasn't taken by 26th...

but after reading the THW article, it sounds like we got a great player... and not only that, he seems to be very mature, smart hockey player, and last but not least... CANADIAN!!!

yeehaw

now i hope we trade up and pickup samuellson 2nd round :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#160 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

seeing a center wearing black and yellow and the number 16... obviously meant to be.

#161 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm not 100% sold on that. I think that management were alittle to eager to flex there muscles and we lost out on some great talent. History shows same thing will happen to this guy and many others.

WHAT?! LOLOLOLOL. okay guess FLA decided flex their muscles too in waiving Grabner too eh?! Face Hodgson was too small is too hard to compute that?!

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#162 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Oh god please don't tell me you think kassian is gonna be our next superstar too. I can't take another person jerking him off under the table.

Kassian is going to be a star. :bigblush:

#163 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

but after reading the THW article, it sounds like we got a great player... and not only that, he seems to be very mature, smart hockey player, and last but not least... CANADIAN!!!

yeehaw

He got drafted right after us....

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#164 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

I agree that these are guys who have some pretty good offensive upside. This being said, is a simple request to show up to camp in shape too much to ask of a professional athlete? And while you don't necessarily want to rely on your top-6 to fill a checking role on your team, it would be nice if they were capable of positive numbers in their +/- stat.

regards,
G.

#165 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Oh god please don't tell me you think kassian is gonna be our next superstar too. I can't take another person jerking him off under the table.

Just like you are jerking off and so bitter about Hodgson right?! I'm willing to make you a bet. I'm willing to see you chicken out though.

Edited by The Kassassin Train, 22 June 2012 - 09:27 PM.

The idiocy on CDC....

#166 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

seeing a center wearing black and yellow and the number 16... obviously meant to be.

you got it.....

#167 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Just like you are jerking off and so bitter about Hodgson right?! I'm willing to make you a bet. I'm willing to see you chicken out though.

Ohhh did i hit a sore spot. Im sorry but your boyfriend won't be a star on the canucks or any other team. Maybe your user name will change with the next flavor of the month.

#168 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Needs to work on his skating. A center. From Markham, Ontario. Shows leadership skills. Good two-way ability. Wears a retired Canucks' number on his back.

It's Coho all over again.

Here comes icetime arguments, phonecalls from the parents, trade to some team in the states, etc.

BoGo time! Wooooooo!
Posted Image

#169 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

I agree that these are guys who have some pretty good offensive upside. This being said, is a simple request to show up to camp in shape too much to ask of a professional athlete? And while you don't necessarily want to rely on your top-6 to fill a checking role on your team, it would be nice if they were capable of positive numbers in their +/- stat.

regards,
G.

Your right you shouldn't have to tell people to get ready for work. But there has to be more to the story then what we know.

#170 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

yeehaw

Lol. Pay attention, 'King.'
Posted Image

#171 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Calm down buddy I wasn't being serious.

Also, I'm also hearing that Gaunce can play LW as well, can anyone confirm? If so, it gives us more options as to where we play him down the road.

I heard that as well (the panelist, whoever it was, mentioned it when Gaunce was picked).

Anyone else surprised we don't have a "Nickname for Brendan Gaunce" thread yet?

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#172 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Don't know what you're talking about, but apparently it's an action you have performed with great frequency...

Will Kassian become a superstar? Perhaps not. He might not even become the next captain of the team. I do believe that Kassian will become a very good player on this team, certainly better than what you and others are hoping for. And why do you hope that he will fail? So that you can all crow about how bad the deal was. Great Canuck fans are you guys.

The chant is, "Go Canucks Go", not "Go Cody Go", right?

regards,
G.

#173 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

I like this pick.
Give him another season with his junior team and two or three seasons with the Wolves and I can see him being a real solid centerman. I've heard analysts say he plays a Jordan Staal style of game, while others say he reminds them of David Backes. If he could become a little of both, I think he's going to be a huge part of our future.

#174 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Don't know what you're talking about, but apparently it's an action you have performed with great frequency...

Will Kassian become a superstar? Perhaps not. He might not even become the next captain of the team. I do believe that Kassian will become a very good player on this team, certainly better than what you and others are hoping for. And why do you hope that he will fail? So that you can all crow about how bad the deal was. Great Canuck fans are you guys.

The chant is, "Go Canucks Go", not "Go Cody Go", right?

regards,
G.

Was never really a cody fan. But for sure not a fan of the trade. We could have done better.

#175 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Canucks need to get bigger finally with Kassian,Jensen and Guance they are starting to do so.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#176 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

yeehaw

Ummm... How do you expect to do that? lol

p.s. He was taken right after Gaunce (his name would be listed right below his in the draft results)

Edited by HockeyHobo73, 22 June 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#177 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Why would they even bother mentioning it then...?

Gilman went out of his way to make a little speech about it... saying they've never given a retired number to another player etc etc

Yes I'm aware of what year it is :rolleyes: I just thought it was somewhat odd for him to come out and announce it on such a grand stage when he simply could have just talked to Smyl beforehand and said "hey it's just the way the draft is this year, he's just getting it for the day"...

It's not like anyone outside of Vancouver knows Smyl wore #12, nevermind that it's retired. Smells odd to me...

No, they said they haven't drafted anybody wtih #12 since they retired that number. People need to calm down.

#178 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

In about 3 years I'd be happy to see this as our lineup:

Booth - Kesler - Jensen
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Hansen - Gaunce - Burrows
Lapierre - Schroeder - Raymond
Weise

Of course trades and free agency will bring in different forwards, but with the Sedins and Kesler regressing soon, we really lack good centers. Schroeder hasn't proven a whole lot to me yet, so hoping Gaunce will be a bit more successful. Give him 5 seasons and he'll be in our top-6.
Posted Image

#179 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Your right you shouldn't have to tell people to get ready for work. But there has to be more to the story then what we know.

True enough. :)

There could be a lot of things we don't know about. What we can react to is what we do know, the most prominent being that there were issues with conditioning and defensive play. The "other" side of the discussion, for the most part, has only speculation which boils down to"AV HATEZ YUNG PLAYRZ!!!".

Well, AV might well hate young players, especially if they show up to camp out of shape and don't keep up with their checking assigments. Why should those guys get a free pass to decide how they will play?

regards,
G.

#180 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hopefully we can try to trade up for a higher pick to draft Thrower and/or Sissons
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.