#181 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

POPULAR

Ohhh did i hit a sore spot. Im sorry but your boyfriend won't be a star on the canucks or any other team. Maybe your user name will change with the next flavor of the month.

You come off more like he hit the sore spot.

You seem bitter and emotional.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#182 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

A bit off topic, but I think Craig Button at the draft looked a lot like Dustin Hoffman.

I thought so to. Mostly because everytime he opened his yapper he reminded me of Rainman.

Anyways, really happy about Gaunce. Kid will fit in well with our futures.
Posted Image

#183 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

True enough. :)

There could be a lot of things we don't know about. What we can react to is what we do know, the most prominent being that there were issues with conditioning and defensive play. The "other" side of the discussion, for the most part, has only speculation which boils down to"AV HATEZ YUNG PLAYRZ!!!".
Well, AV might well hate young players, especially if they show up to camp out of shape and don't keep up with their checking assigments. Why should those guys get a free pass to decide how they will play?

regards,
G.

The whole AV hates kidz is just alittle over our heads and we can't speculate on things like that unless we are sitting on the bench. But you have to admit that our farm and future prospects have diminished and the future isn't looking that great.

#184 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

You come off more like he hit the sore spot.

You seem bitter and emotional.

Ok. Thanks for the insight tips.

#185 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I was hoping we would pick Gaunce. He's the rugged Canadian centre we need.

I watched the interview with Henrik and Ulf Samuelsson earlier in the day. Henrik didn't come off as the sharpest cat. You know what I'm saying?

p.s.

Wooooooooooooooooo!!

#186 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Insightful actually and I'm just saying you're argument is damaged by your presentation.

Unless you're trying to present your argument like a tween girl arguing team Jacob over team Edward.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 22 June 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#187 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

wow old school.

#188 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

wow old school.

not... :D

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 22 June 2012 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#189 'NucKô

'NucKô

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Why would they even bother mentioning it then...?

Gilman went out of his way to make a little speech about it... saying they've never given a retired number to another player etc etc

Yes I'm aware of what year it is :rolleyes: I just thought it was somewhat odd for him to come out and announce it on such a grand stage when he simply could have just talked to Smyl beforehand and said "hey it's just the way the draft is this year, he's just getting it for the day"...

It's not like anyone outside of Vancouver knows Smyl wore #12, nevermind that it's retired. Smells odd to me...

I think it was more of a joke for everyone. Maybe not too relevant to the grand stage but I don't think he meant it with much seriousness (not as if Gaunce was actually going to wear #12). If anything, I think he was a bit too serious in the presentation which made it a little awkward... :P
Posted Image

#190 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Insightful actually and I'm just saying you're argument is damaged by your presentation.

Unless you're trying to present your argument like a tween girl arguing team Jacob over team Edward.

Team jacob and team edward WTF are you talking about. Is kassian train your little brother or something did i hurt his feelings and your coming to the rescue.

#191 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

POPULAR

We all saw it and thought wow!, well, see it again:

Posted Image
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#192 bim bo

bim bo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Needs to work on his skating. A center. From Markham, Ontario. Shows leadership skills. Good two-way ability. Wears a retired Canucks' number on his back.

It's Coho all over again.

Here comes icetime arguments, phonecalls from the parents, trade to some team in the states, etc.

BoGo time! Wooooooo!

...or Nathan Smith

#193 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Team jacob and team edward WTF are you talking about. Is kassian train your little brother or something did i hurt his feelings and your coming to the rescue.

You're not helping yourself here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#194 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

You're not helping yourself here.

Ok.

#195 Mtl_Dan

Mtl_Dan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Love the pick, some people even had this guy in the top 10. Big strong 2 way centre who can score, sounds like a winner to me.

#196 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 22 June 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#197 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Was never really a cody fan. But for sure not a fan of the trade. We could have done better.

I was a borderline Hodgson fan. At first, I was not sold on the trade, mostly because I, like a lot of others, was expecting something "bigger". By bigger I don't mean that Hodgson should have brought back a guy like Staal (because Hodgson just isn't that good), but rather that there would have been more in the way of help for right now. Yeah, I was hoping for a guy a bit older, but still in his playing prime. And he would help with the team's efforts in last year's playoffs.

We got Kassian, and after seeing him for a few games, I do like the trade. He's going to be good.

One of the drawbacks of keeping Hodgson for the playoffs is that there was a good likelihood that the team could no longer play him in "sheltered" minutes situations. Hodgson might have put up a goodly amount of points, but I suspect that he would also be shown to be weaker in face-offs, that his defensive play was suspect, his average skating would be hi-lited, and his lack of physical play would be there for all the world to see. How would all of that being shown helped to drive his price up?

As "Timberwolf"(a poster in another thread) noted, "Kassian is in the unfortunate position of not being compared to CoHo, but what some people believe CoHo was going to turn into." It's hard to fight a legend, even if the legend is only in someone's mind and not in reality.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#198 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image

dat donkey....

#199 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I was a borderline Hodgson fan. At first, I was not sold on the trade, mostly because I, like a lot of others, was expecting something "bigger". By bigger I don't mean that Hodgson should have brought back a guy like Staal (because Hodgson just isn't that good), but rather that there would have been more in the way of help for right now. Yeah, I was hoping for a guy a bit older, but still in his playing prime. And he would help with the team's efforts in last year's playoffs.

We got Kassian, and after seeing him for a few games, I do like the trade. He's going to be good.

One of the drawbacks of keeping Hodgson for the playoffs is that there was a good likelihood that the team could no longer play him in "sheltered" minutes situations. Hodgson might have put up a goodly amount of points, but I suspect that he would also be shown to be weaker in face-offs, that his defensive play was suspect, his average skating would be hi-lited, and his lack of physical play would be there for all the world to see. How would all of that being shown helped to drive his price up?

As "Timberwolf"(a poster in another thread) noted, "Kassian is in the unfortunate position of not being compared to CoHo, but what some people believe CoHo was going to turn into." It's hard to fight a legend, even if the legend is only in someone's mind and not in reality.

regards,
G.

Your right it wouldn't have driven his price up. But for once i would like to develope a player fully and watch him play for us for a long time. Management had patience with kesler and that paid divi's. Not sure if you know the joke about the two bulls on the hill staring at the cows?. But if you do. I for one want to walk down and f@ck them all if you catch my drift.

#200 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

awesome pick so happy
Posted Image

#201 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

The whole AV hates kidz is just alittle over our heads and we can't speculate on things like that unless we are sitting on the bench. But you have to admit that our farm and future prospects have diminished and the future isn't looking that great.

The AV specualtion was my point, and yet pro-Hodgson folks use that as a "fact" to explain why certain players do not make it here.

The farm is looking a bit thin. In part this is because picks have been used for guys who were brought in to help the team win now. There can be endless discussion on the merits of each trade (even I don't like some of them) which is for another thread. :P

The other reason the farm is looking thin is because the team has been successful. The further down you go the lesser the chances are that you get a keeper.

Finally, if we want to talk scouting, there are lots of teams who miss players, even if they are in their own backyard. No team's scouting is perfect. Weber was picked by Nashville in the 2nd round, with their *third* 2nd round pick.

regards,
G.

#202 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I thought this is a great pick, and hopefully within a few years he will develop well. I find it interesting that he came out of the same program as Hodgson in Markham, and also trains with the Gary Roberts camp.

Is this just a coincidence that we replace our top center prospect with a harder working, positive attitude younger kid from not only the same town, but same development programs? And if not, I wonder if there will be any anymosity in the Roberts camp this summer after the whole fiasco.

Roberts said he wanted to make Gillis look like a moron, hopefully that was just a heat of the moment response and not something to make his relationship with the Canucks awkward while training our newest pick.

Just keep him away from Hodgsons' dad! Lol

#203 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

I hoped for Best Skating Big Player Available,but we'll see how he comes along.Doesnt seem to lack any drive to get where he needs to be by any stretch.

#204 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Your right it wouldn't have driven his price up. But for once i would like to develope a player fully and watch him play for us for a long time. Management had patience with kesler and that paid divi's. Not sure if you know the joke about the two bulls on the hill staring at the cows?. But if you do. I for one want to walk down and f@ck them all if you catch my drift.

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, Schneider...

#205 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Did anyone else not give a frack about Gilmans speech? I just like the people that go up, say nothing except for our selection we are picking blah ???? blah

#206 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Did anyone else not give a frack about Gilmans speech? I just like the people that go up, say nothing except for our selection we are picking blah ???? blah

A whole thread dedicated to it.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#207 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

I hoped for Best Skating Big Player Available,but we'll see how he comes along.Doesnt seem to lack any drive to get where he needs to be by any stretch.

Agreed - hard to see why his skating is considered a weakness by those clips - perhaps it's just relative to his strengths....

Jensen at 29th and now Gaunce at 26th - look like a couple damn good late 1st round picks.

#208 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

But what about: the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen, Raymond (love him or hate him), maybe/hopefully Schneider?

Not drafted but taken as free agents and developed by the Canucks: Burrows, Tanev.

I get what your point is, but I'd suggest that Hodgson is as much a victim of BPA as anything else. Once he was a Canuck the only chance he had of playing here for a long time was if Sedin or Kesler was out of the picture.

regards,
G.

PS - and I'll see your bull joke and raise you this:

Two bulls are out in the field one late Autumn morning.

First bull: "Brrr, kinda' cool out here, ain't it?,"

Second bull: :Yeah, it is. I think I'll go to the barn and slip into a nice warm jersey."

#209 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

The AV specualtion was my point, and yet pro-Hodgson folks use that as a "fact" to explain why certain players do not make it here.

The farm is looking a bit thin. In part this is because picks have been used for guys who were brought in to help the team win now. There can be endless discussion on the merits of each trade (even I don't like some of them) which is for another thread. :P

The other reason the farm is looking thin is because the team has been successful. The further down you go the lesser the chances are that you get a keeper.

Finally, if we want to talk scouting, there are lots of teams who miss players, even if they are in their own backyard. No team's scouting is perfect. Weber was picked by Nashville in the 2nd round, with their *third* 2nd round pick.

regards,
G.

The canucks have been very successful you are correct. But the twins and kes and burr won't be around forever. The future of this team scares me alittle. Maybe i should have alittle more faith in management and that they will develop the right players the right way. But it's been customary for the canucks to be a winning hockey club and i really want that to continue after we lose the twins and our other role players.

#210 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

But what about: the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen, Raymond (love him or hate him), maybe/hopefully Schneider?

Not drafted but taken as free agents and developed by the Canucks: Burrows, Tanev.

I get what your point is, but I'd suggest that Hodgson is as much a victim of BPA as anything else. Once he was a Canuck the only chance he had of playing here for a long time was if Sedin or Kesler was out of the picture.

regards,
G.

PS - and I'll see your bull joke and raise you this:

Two bulls are out in the field one late Autumn morning.

First bull: "Brrr, kinda' cool out here, ain't it?,"

Second bull: :Yeah, it is. I think I'll go to the barn and slip into a nice warm jersey."

LOL, not bad buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.