329 replies to this topic

#211 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

I like this pick for the most part, but they say he needs to work on his skating. I hate the idea of centres being slow, makes them iffy defensively.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#212 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

The canucks have been very successful you are correct. But the twins and kes and burr won't be around forever. The future of this team scares me alittle. Maybe i should have alittle more faith in management and that they will develop the right players the right way. But it's been customary for the canucks to be a winning hockey club and i really want that to continue after we lose the twins and our other role players.

True enough, in that the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are probably not around for more than perhaps another 3 - 5 years. However, Kesler is only 27, Hansen is 26, Schneider (assuming he isn't traded) is only 26. With guys like Kassian (21), Jensen (19), Lack (24), and now Gaunce (18) I think the Canucks aren't in that bad shape at all. The only caveat in this is that I see the prospects on defence as being a bit thin. There is Sauve (22) and Connauton (22), Gragnani (25) and Tanev (22), but I wouldn't say that the Canucks have a huge amount of depth in these guys. They're going to be good, but just how good remains to be seen.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#213 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

I like this pick for the most part, but they say he needs to work on his skating. I hate the idea of centres being slow, makes them iffy defensively.

Mike Richards and Jordan Staal are slow as slugs but they're still pretty good.

The centre position is actually the only position where speed isn't a necessity. Centres don't forecheck so they are not required to gain the zone quickly.

Edited by 6OH!4, 22 June 2012 - 11:30 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#214 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

True enough, in that the Sedins, Burrows and Bieksa are probably not around for more than perhaps another 3 - 5 years. However, Kesler is only 27, Hansen is 26, Schneider (assuming he isn't traded) is only 26. With guys like Kassian (21), Jensen (19), Lack (24), and now Gaunce (18) I think the Canucks aren't in that bad shape at all. The only caveat in this is that I see the prospects on defence as being a bit thin. There is Sauve (22) and Connauton (22), Gragnani (25) and Tanev (22), but I wouldn't say that the Canucks have a huge amount of depth in these guys. They're going to be good, but just how good remains to be seen.

regards,
G.

You know it's refreshing to have someone on here with positive thoughts on the future of this team. There is no doom and gloom in you. I respect that very much.

#215 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Meat and spuds, Canadian boy, Big body. It's a move in the right direction.

#216 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,844 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

regards,
G.

The only problem is we don't really have any sniper or pure skill guys in the farm. Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce are great, but to me they're all power forward type players. Where are our future playmakers and snipers?

(Sig removed by mod)

#217 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

i think it is for tribute to smyl retiring from the organization

Where did they say that Smyl was retiring from the organization?

#218 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

The only problem is we don't really have any sniper or pure skill guys in the farm. Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce are great, but to me they're all power forward type players. Where are our future playmakers and snipers?

Jensen is a sniper, Schroeder is a playmaker.

#219 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Can't get a sniper allstar know a days unless you have a terrible team. Edmonton will have a good team in 2-3 years cause they sucked for so long and got great talent through high draft picks. I can wait awhile longer before we get the first pick in the draft.

#220 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

regards,
G.

Don't forget guys like Rodin, LaBate, Grenier and Corrado who are developing as well. We have a lot of prospects that project to be bottom-9 guys. Te only real complaint anyone should have is that we dont have any surefire first line players in our system but thats because of where we finish so its hard to get those kind of prospects.

#221 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

First draft you've ever watched? Welcome to 2012. Every player gets a jersey with their draft year. Meaning 12.

Please read the entire thread where I detailed why I posted that comment. Asshat.

#222 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Maybe he's good at faceoffs, so he can provide another awesome goal-scoring line, along with Schroeder.
Posted Image

#223 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Mike Richards and Jordan Staal are slow as slugs but they're still pretty good.

The centre position is actually the only position where speed isn't a necessity. Centres don't forecheck so they are not required to gain the zone quickly.

Good point, but centres have to be the most responsible defensively for the most part. Kesler, and Hossa (I know he's not a centre) get Selke buzz because they can get back quickly to the defensive zone. Just my opinion.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

#224 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Can't get a sniper allstar know a days unless you have a terrible team. Edmonton will have a good team in 2-3 years cause they sucked for so long and got great talent through high draft picks. I can wait awhile longer before we get the first pick in the draft.

Everyone keeps saying they are going to be so good in 2-3 years but they still lack a #1&2 defensive pairing. They also have a crappy bottom-6. And there are ?'s about Dubnyk. So they've got 1, maybe two good lines if Paajvari and Gagner can keep developing.

They'll be good but won't be contenders until the fix their bottom-6 an defense.

We weren't considered contenders until 2 years ago when we went out and got Torres, Hamhuis and Malholtra.

#225 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Maybe as a bit of a tribute to the guy that wore number 12 and has been with the organization since he was drafted. Perhaps because it is the first time a retired number has ever been given out by the Canucks at a draft. Your panties seem to be wound way to tight.

Both plausible possibilities.

Did you read my explanation as to why I thought it was odd?

I bet you didn't. Instead you came in here and decided an ad-hom attack was so much more suitable as a response.

Panties? Right... I'm done with them now... care for a sniff ? :rolleyes:

#226 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Good point, but centres have to be the most responsible defensively for the most part. Kesler, and Hossa (I know he's not a centre) get Selke buzz because they can get back quickly to the defensive zone. Just my opinion.

Staal and Richards are not fast skaters but they have both been Selke candidates.

Gaunce isnt as slow as scouts say he is, its more along the lines of, if u must pick something wrong with the kid, it would be his speed.

#227 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

We won't be drafting first any time soon, so don't hold your breath. As for the Oilers, all those young guys will get VERY expensive soon. They better hurry up or they'll be the Hawks without the success.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#228 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,844 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Sedin is pretty slow as well and he is defensively responsible. Centres are smart enough to not put themselves in vulnerable positions.

(Sig removed by mod)

#229 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

We won't be drafting first any time soon, so don't hold your breath. As for the Oilers, all those young guys will get VERY expensive soon. They better hurry up or they'll be the Hawks without the success.

Trust me im not holding my breath. The last thing i want is the first pick in the draft.

#230 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

what do you like about samuelson more that gance

I just have a gut feeling that samuelson will be the better player.

#231 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

In my opinion, if the Canucks take their time to develop the skill side of Gaunce's game, he could be a great playmaker for the Canucks in the future. A lot of comments I've read about Gaunce involved his vision and ability to slow the game down and make plays. In a nutshell, this guy screams Ryan Getzlaf. Getzlaf is a power centre who isn't the best skater or shooter but uses his size to protect the puck and make plays and was never an offensive dynamo in junior. In fact, in his last year in junior Getzlaf put up a mere 29 goals, 25 assists, 54 points in 51 games.

Point being, Gaunce has the tools to be a #1/2 power centre with vision and good passing skills. It's not agiven at all he reaches his ceiling, but with time and good development, the Canucks can absolutely get more than a two way 3rd line centre out of him. The Ducks sure did with Ryan Getzlaf.

#232 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Trust me im not holding my breath. The last thing i want is the first pick in the draft.

What if we trade Luogo for the Leafs 1st next year and they win the lottery?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#233 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

I just have a gut feeling that samuelson will be the better player.

Based on what?

#234 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

What if we trade Luogo for the Leafs 1st next year and they win the lottery?

Hmmmm interesting thought sir, I like the cut of your jib and would like to subscribe to your news letter.

#235 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Based on what?

His Gut.

#236 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,844 posts

Jensen is a sniper, Schroeder is a playmaker.

I don't know, to me Jensen seems like Johan Franzen (who I consider to be a power forward) but who knows maybe he'll become more of a Loui Eriksson. Too early to tell.

(Sig removed by mod)

#237 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Sedin is pretty slow as well and he is defensively responsible. Centres are smart enough to not put themselves in vulnerable positions.

I'd say, as far as high end centres go, Henrik is pretty poor defensively. Bolland always puts up pretty good numbers against us, and he's almost always on the ice with #33.

Staal and Richards are not fast skaters but they have both been Selke candidates.

Gaunce isnt as slow as scouts say he is, its more along the lines of, if u must pick something wrong with the kid, it would be his speed.

That's good. Slow players can be great defensively, but I have a preference for faster players in the centre position; players like Kesler.

#238 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hope we can trade up for a high 2nd round pick. Really want Samuelsson

I was really hoping for Samuelsson as well. If Lu's going to Toronto, their second rounder best be coming back so we can snag someone like Frk

Edited by Spectacular, 22 June 2012 - 11:59 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#239 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,844 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

I'd say, as far as high end centres go, Henrik is pretty poor defensively. Bolland always puts up pretty good numbers against us, and he's almost always on the ice with #33.

There's a reason Henrik gets +30 every year unlike Brad Richards for example who always seems to be a minus player. Henrik is rarely on the ice when the opposing team scores.

EDIT: on a completely random note, does anyone know what's the scoop with the CBA? I really hope there's not another lockout considering the Canucks aren't getting any younger.

Edited by 6OH!4, 22 June 2012 - 11:56 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#240 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

His Gut.

Maybe he's hungry?

Too many people giving opinions on players they have never seen play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.