Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VoiceOfReason_

Laurence Gilman's Speech

79 posts in this topic

I don't see a problem with it, nice way to honour Steamer.

During the interview it looked like Gaunce had an apostrophe in front of the 12 on his sleeve

It was a respect issue, worth mentioning. Smyl deserves it. Most of you are just too young to realize that.

Could have made it a bit shorter tho. Longest speech by far.

Come on, we got a geography lesson (whichever county it was he thanked for their hospitality,) a history lesson (who knew it was the Kings first cup?) and more specifically, a Canucks history lesson.

Too bad he couldn't find a synonym for hospitality, nor any other presenter for that matter.

Gilman is a class act.

Steamer is Canucks royalty.

Perhaps Gaunce can see a message in it for his potential and future.

During the interview it looked like Gaunce had an apostrophe in front of the 12 on his sleeve

Yeah I noticed that too. I don't recall an apostrophe on any of the other teams' jerseys so perhaps it was just the Canucks who decided to do that out of respect for Stan Smyl. Guess they'll be doing the same for #16 and #19 also.

Nice gesture by Gillman. Stan has been a huge part of the organization for decades. If they wanted to do this to say thank you, i think it's great.

Gillman was more articulate than anyone prior or following his turn on stage. Anyone who thinks his brief speech was inappropriate is not a true fan of the Canucks.

Nice gesture towards Stan. I guess they'll be doing the same at the 2016 and 2019 draft.

Who the hell cares. He was just explaining. If he didn't explain such morons would be wondering 'wtf, he gave him Smyl's number!!'

Wow... Talk about irony, half of the CDC members jumped to conclusions and totally missed the point. :picard:

It was the right thing to do and say, particularly with Smyl standing there, still an active part of the organization. If people have a problem with taking 10 seconds to honour one of the cornerstones of the Canucks franchise, they just don't get it, and obviously don't have much of an idea of who he is and was.

Worst speech of the draft, way too long.

If he had cut it down to what was suggested on the 1st page it would have been great.

Much better than McPhee and Holmgren. "Thank you for your hospitality Pittsburgh, I'm touched, I really am. "I was going to thank Pittsburgh for their hospitality..."

Gillman was more articulate than anyone prior or following his turn on stage. Anyone who thinks his brief speech was inappropriate is not a true fan of the Canucks.

I like the speech but if I was a fan of another team, I wouldn't give a Frack about the history of the Canucks