The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman's Speech

VoiceOfReason_

It's nice to honor Smyl by saying that but in all honesty just get on with it. I think most people get annoyed when teams thank the host city and congratulate the champions let alone make a little speech to go with it. The draft is already so long and draining so it's best to just go up there, cut the BS and make the pick. So I found it a bit tedious but not the end of the world.

I totaly agree, the rest of the NHL dont care and most dont even know who stan is. Other teams retire hall of fame greats, no disrespect but stan is definitly not a legend. Second this could be the reason we are hated in the league, we think so highly of ourselves and want the rest of the league to pat us on the back for accomplishments that are not worth a pat on the back. Every team in the league has or had a stan smyle, are organisation is the only one that retires the number and makes a big deal about some kid putting it on at draft day. If it were 99 or 66 then maybe mention it but #12...lol. who cares

Most of the posts on here point out why it had to be lengthy. There are very very few Canuck fans that remember how special a player and how loyal and dedicated a player / administrator Smyl has been for the Canucks. The 82 run was upon his back ( along with king Richard of course ). Most fans, especially on here, do not have a clue how hockey was played then, what it took to be a true all around player and what Smyl meant to everyone in the organization. When his number was retired, it should have never dawned a Canuck jersey again. Since it did this year, the point had to be made and the speech was about that. There was nothing wrong with it at all, and to think otherwise shows how little you know about Canucks History, or how little you care about it.

I think this has already been said by others that frankly nobody cares. This is a NHL event, not a Canucks event. This is the NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh. It's as if four hours isn't long enough for one round of the draft...I wouldn't want to sit through other teams making long elaborate statements about past players when the draft is very much about the future.

It does not mean I know little about Canucks history or how little I care. It does not mean you know Canucks history better or care about it more.

Archived