Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Laurence Gilman's Speech

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#31 YEGCanuck

YEGCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Gillman was more articulate than anyone prior or following his turn on stage. Anyone who thinks his brief speech was inappropriate is not a true fan of the Canucks.

#32 Kruger

Kruger

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Nice gesture towards Stan. I guess they'll be doing the same at the 2016 and 2019 draft.

tumblr_my479bEk4K1qcga5ro1_500.gif

#33 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Who the hell cares. He was just explaining. If he didn't explain such morons would be wondering 'wtf, he gave him Smyl's number!!'
Posted Image

#34 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wow... Talk about irony, half of the CDC members jumped to conclusions and totally missed the point. :picard:
Go Canucks Go!

#35 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

It was the right thing to do and say, particularly with Smyl standing there, still an active part of the organization. If people have a problem with taking 10 seconds to honour one of the cornerstones of the Canucks franchise, they just don't get it, and obviously don't have much of an idea of who he is and was.

#36 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Worst speech of the draft, way too long.

If he had cut it down to what was suggested on the 1st page it would have been great.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 22 June 2012 - 08:34 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#37 mrsoshicanuck

mrsoshicanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Much better than McPhee and Holmgren. "Thank you for your hospitality Pittsburgh, I'm touched, I really am. "I was going to thank Pittsburgh for their hospitality..."
[img]GIFSoup[img]

#38 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Gillman was more articulate than anyone prior or following his turn on stage. Anyone who thinks his brief speech was inappropriate is not a true fan of the Canucks.

That's BS. I personally don't care what he said, but saying someone isn't a true fan of the Canucks just because they disliked the speech is ridiculous.

#39 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

And the stupid of CDC continues...
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#40 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I like the speech but if I was a fan of another team, I wouldn't give a Frack about the history of the Canucks

#41 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Nice gesture towards Stan. I guess they'll be doing the same at the 2016 and 2019 draft.

GM TL?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#42 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

I like the speech but if I was a fan of another team, I wouldn't give a Frack about the history of the Canucks

Insightful info.

#43 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

This thread is starting to help me understand why the internet thinks Canucks fans are idiots. Not only was Smyl a great captain and leader despite rather average skills, Linden credits him with helping him to understand the responsibility.

Attention morons, here is a great little Lincolnism for you:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

#44 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

the speech was way too long and uncomfortable. it seemed like they thought it was a canucks function, not an NHL draft. it was getting uncomfortable near the end. it should have been a press release, TBH.

#45 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

The speech was crafted to honor Smyl, and stall for time, My guess is they were waiting to the very last second to see if a trade signal was made. it wasn't.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#46 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

The speech was crafted to honor Smyl, and stall for time, My guess is they were waiting to the very last second to see if a trade signal was made. it wasn't.

as soon as gillis left the table it was too late to trade.

#47 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Nice gesture but thought it was a bit embarrassing.

#48 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,766 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Who the hell cares. He was just explaining. If he didn't explain such morons would be wondering 'wtf, he gave him Smyl's number!!'

Those morons are still wondering. :mellow:

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#49 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

The speech was atrocious.

Much better than McPhee and Holmgren. "Thank you for your hospitality Pittsburgh, I'm touched, I really am. "I was going to thank Pittsburgh for their hospitality..."

lol notsureifsrs

#50 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Good thing it was 1999 or everyone would be making a 10 minute long Gretzky speech

gallery_42012_46_1660.png

#51 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

The speech was atrocious.

lol notsureifsrs

He was getting loudly booed, so yes, serious. He could have played it so much better though.

#52 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yeah I noticed that too. I don't recall an apostrophe on any of the other teams' jerseys so perhaps it was just the Canucks who decided to do that out of respect for Stan Smyl. Guess they'll be doing the same for #16 and #19 also.

Nice gesture by Gillman. Stan has been a huge part of the organization for decades. If they wanted to do this to say thank you, i think it's great.

Only the Canucks had the '12 on the jersey, and it's presumably because the number is retired.

IMO, a brief mention of Stan Smyl would be enough; the speech itself was longwinded and is something Canucks fans would care about, not Pittsburgh fans or the rest of the league. I'm not against the speech or anything -- I love how MG noticed the number would coincide with Smyl's retired 12 -- but the whole thing could have been planned a bit better.

#53 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

He was getting loudly booed, so yes, serious. He could have played it so much better though.

I thought he was funny.

I also liked Gilman's speech. You guys honestly care way too much about little things. In a hockey forum, we have a thread dedicated to the fact that our draft selection speech was a tad bit too long...no wonder every other fanbase hates us.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#54 i love semin

i love semin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

Honestly, it was a little longer than it needed to be, but it's really not a big deal. I will say that the whole "Heart of a Canuck" ending made it seem like the whole thing was obviously crafted by a PR person, which is pretty silly, but in 2 days no one will remember this ever happened.

#55 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

You guys nit pick over the dumbest things.
Posted Image

#56 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

I thought he was funny.

I also liked Gilman's speech. You guys honestly care way too much about little things. In a hockey forum, we have a thread dedicated to the fact that our draft selection speech was a tad bit too long...no wonder every other fanbase hates us.

But he had to know the booing was coming from the day Pittsburgh was announced. I think a gracious speech thanking Pittsburgh for their hospitality with special mention to MA Fleury. Or, "hey, shut the **** up losers!".

#57 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

But he had to know the booing was coming from the day Pittsburgh was announced. I think a gracious speech thanking Pittsburgh for their hospitality with special mention to MA Fleury. Or, "hey, shut the **** up losers!".

You're taking it way too seriously. He was having fun with the fans, and having fun with the rivalry.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#58 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

You're taking it way too seriously. He was having fun with the fans, and having fun with the rivalry.

And he sucked at it. It could have been so much better. I am not taking anything seriously, but if I knew I was walking into that type of situation I'd do far better than mumbling out a half assed sarcastic comment.

I'd have loved to see him really anger the crowd.

#59 One one two

One one two

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

You guys nit pick over the dumbest things.

Eh. It was just a little embarrassing and poorly done. I agree it doesn't deserve its own thread, though.

Edited by One one two, 22 June 2012 - 11:51 PM.

5ExRXNw.png?1

#60 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

And he sucked at it. It could have been so much better. I am not taking anything seriously, but if I knew I was walking into that type of situation I'd do far better than mumbling out a half assed sarcastic comment.

I'd have loved to see him really anger the crowd.

He could have done much better, yet you want him to anger the crowd? DaHell?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.