The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hodgson's Dad Having a fit?

Provost

Call me a loser but what's wrong with wishing the guy well? It's not like he ever did anything to hurt the Canucks or went to a rival club. If he really wanted to hurt the Canucks he could have went public with his issues and that would have really made it tough for Gillis to get good value for him. Instead he did the right thing and allowed Gillis to get the 2 of the best Buffalo prospects outside of the NHL at the time.

How about he lied and said that he was totally surprised about being traded and has since talked about how he is glad to be in an organization who actually wants him.

How about the sense of entitlement he and his camp has had every since he was drafted about how he is more special than everyone else.

How about wasting more of our GM's time with petty whining than everyone else combined.

Don't get me wrong I think everything has come back to reflect poorly on him. I think he just didn't realize how lucky he was to be on a team that could compete for the Stanley Cup every year. Just look at all of those older guys who are dying to goto a contender so they can get a chance.

I just don't really think anything that has happened thus far warrants the attitude some people are taking to almost wish the guy would fail in his NHL career. Especially what happened here isn't even close to any of the messiest divorces the NHL has seen.

You would think if he was such an awful guy behind the scenes you'd have some sort of Canucks against him in the locker room. Nothing like that ever came out and many of them were seen talking to him at the game. Burrows even drove his car back from the airport so he could get it.

If we take that stance we basically have to assume that there were locker room issues even though there was no evidence of any. What about the Canucks seen talking to him after the game and Burrows driving his car back from the airport? Are those behaviours usually associated with guys people dislike?

They might also be quiet about it since they're ready to move on which clearly many fans aren't. =/

It's possible but he also followed promptly by laughing about it like everybody else.

It'd still be a bit of reach to use that as a basis for arguing that the teammates disliked him, especially considering the evidence to the contrary that I mentioned before.

the difference is that 3rd line centers that play well (like Hodgson was here) get more than 12 minutes of ice time. If Hodgson had been getting 15-16 minutes here he wouldn't have complained about ice time... It's the same on any team, if a 3rd line center is playing well, he should be given decent ice time.

Actually 3rd line centres don't get much much ice time at all... and they almost NEVER get power play time like he did.

He got great minutes for a rookie, and very quality minutes. He got more minutes in Buffalo where he matched against a slightly better calibre of competition... and he was terrible. sounds like the Canucks knew what they were doing.

Actually, you didn't read very well at all. I said 3rd line centers that PLAY WELL. Hodgson was in our top 4 goal scorers but getting 12 minutes a game.

Other teams with good 3rd line centers gave them way more ice time, in fact quite a few of the teams gave their 3rd line center more time than Hodgson got, despite them performing at a lower level than he was;

Rough numbers

LA (17 minutes)

Detroit (17 minutes)

Pittsburgh (20 minutes)

San Jose (18+ minutes)

Boston (17 minutes)

Washington (16+ minutes)

Colorado (16+ minutes)

Edmonton (17+ minutes)

Teams with 3rd line centers that aren't very good, don't play high minutes (though it seems that 14 minutes was more common for those mediocre 3rd liners), but teams who have a 3rd line center who is playing well, do indeed get more minutes - more minutes.

I can read perfectly well... you just use vague comments to mask poor ideas.

Of course you do that because when you try to use more detailed facts like this your arguments looks stupid.

You are comparing Hodgson to guys like Staal who are ridiculously better than he is and have proven themselves for years in the league.

If he was earning more minutes he would have gotten them... if you believe a half a billion dollar business is trying to do worse because a coach or GM has a grudge against a particular player, you are nuts. Hodgson got less playing time because he didn't offer anything when he wasn't scoring... and he didn't score enough to beat out an Art Ross or Selke winning player who was above him in the lineup.

Call me a loser but what's wrong with wishing the guy well? It's not like he ever did anything to hurt the Canucks or went to a rival club. If he really wanted to hurt the Canucks he could have went public with his issues and that would have really made it tough for Gillis to get good value for him. Instead he did the right thing and allowed Gillis to get the 2 of the best Buffalo prospects outside of the NHL at the time.

Archived