Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Vancouver Canucks Second round pick - 57th overall

Position: RW
Birthdate: May 22, 1992
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 172lbs

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Canucks selected 6-foot-1, 195-pound center Alexandre Mallet with their second-round pick (57th overall).

Mallet had gone undrafted the previous two years but had a breakout offensive season for Rimouski of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He went from 19 points (10-9-19) two years ago to 34-47-81 last season and 132 PIMs.

He’s been called a tough and gritty forward, who’s not afraid to drop the gloves, and with a style similar to Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom.

Mallet projects as a third liner who is good at both ends of the rink.

- The Province

Edited by Samk, 23 June 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#2 canucks top scorer

canucks top scorer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

81 points in 68 games wow!

Posted Image

Credit to me for the sig. I make sigs msg me.

#3 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Meh it's ok, I was hoping we would take Damon Severson. You can't go wrong with a Kelowna rocket Defenceman (others: Weber, Keith, Myers, Schenn), and it was said that he could go in the 1st/2nd round, so Canucks getting him then would've been a steal. I thought we had to get more defensive prospects then anything. I wasn't happy with MG this draft

Posted Image

#4 stephanie tanner

stephanie tanner

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

81 points, 8 fights this year, seems to play pretty gritty and he won most of his fights from the ones I watched. good pick
How rude!

#5 our time is now

our time is now

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Meh it's ok, I was hoping we would take Damon Severson. You can't go wrong with a Kelowna rocket Defenceman (others: Weber, Keith, Myers, Schenn), and it was said that he could go in the 1st/2nd round, so Canucks getting him then would've been a steal. I thought we had to get more defensive prospects then anything. I wasn't happy with MG this draft

we already have good defensive prospects like tanev sauve connaunton labate and some others.the only good forward prospects we have are jensen and kassian the rest suck until nowsince we got gaunce and mallot

Edited by our time is now, 23 June 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#6 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

we already have good defensive prospects like tanev sauve connaunton labate and some others.the only good forward prospects we have are jensen and kassian the rest suck until nowsince we got gaunce and mallot

Schroeder, Rodin and Labate say high.

#7 Canuckaidian

Canuckaidian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

POPULAR

hi*

#8 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

An overager point producer as a 2nd round pick. 3rd line ceiling.

I wouldn't say this is a terrible pick but wow, has the quality of prospects sunk that low already, even for a 2nd rounder?
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#9 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Is he going back to Rismouski next year?

#10 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Mallet seems like a likeable guy from his interview... He looked so damn shocked lol... I think he was more shocked than any of us here... I can't wait to see him punch someone while he is wearing a Canucks jersey.

#11 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

September prospect tournament roster:

Jensen - Schroeder - Grenier
Mallet - Gaunce - Labate
Rodin - Friesen - Myron
Anthony - Beattie - Archibald

Connauton - Sauve
Hutton - Corrado
McNally -Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Looks solid. Maybe this year we can take Edmonton.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 Enthused12

Enthused12

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Mallet seems like a likeable guy from his interview... He looked so damn shocked lol... I think he was more shocked than any of us here... I can't wait to see him punch someone while he is wearing a Canucks jersey.

he will never wear a nucks jersey

#13 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

September prospect tournament roster:

Jensen - Schroeder - Grenier
Mallet - Gaunce - Labate
Rodin - Friesen - Myron
Anthony - Beattie - Archibald

Connauton - Sauve
Hutton - Corrado
McNally -Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Looks solid. Maybe this year we can take Edmonton.

The five bolded players will attend a US college program so they will not be attending prospects tournament or training camp. Also, Grenier is in Austria, so not sure if he'll be attending.

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Mallet - Gaunce - Rodin
Archibald - Friesen - Anthony
Rai - Schneider - Tochkin (or FAs or Camp Invites - anywhere on this line)

Connauton - Corrado
Sauve - Polasek
Andersson - FAs or Camp Invite

Cannata
Honzik
FAs or Camp Invite

That's what I think our lineup will look like. We can definitely take Edmonton on this year IMO - our center depth is finally looking decent with Schroeder, Gaunce and Friesen down the middle.

Also, I wonder if Kassian will attend - probably not - same with Tanev. And what is the eligibility for playing in this tournament? Schroeder and Sweatt have played in a couple now, I think ...

Edited by Dasein, 23 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#14 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I believe our college players can attend if they pay their own way, I remember that was the case with Pat White a few years back. They can't accept payment or room/board, it will void their scholarship.

Ya, you're right, i'm not sure if some of our AHL experienced players will be allowed to attend... So we might have a thin camp.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#15 pigs_eye10

pigs_eye10

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

i believe there is no prospect tournamet this year

#16 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

Labate...now that's a laugh

And Rodin will be lucky to make the NHL
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#17 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Another early pick on an overage from the Q?

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#18 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

If for nothing else, his last name is awesome enough. Don Taylor "and Mallet lays the hammer down!"

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#19 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I believe Labate is a pretty good find in the 4th round. He had a good 1st year at university of Wisconsin. Wouldn't be surprised if he's playing wjc hockey for USA this year

#20 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Really? Why? Because he is going to college? I would be willing to bet that he will be an everyday NHL'er at the very least
Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Writer and Vancouver Canucks Scout for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#21 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

so in 8 extra games he was able to get 60 more Points than the previous year in the same league and team. Lets hope that is more about him, his play, effort, etc. than the team getting better players

Don't know anything about the guy, but based on stats (especially the 80PTS in 68 games) looking pretty good. Hope the best for all players drafted and hopefully someday people will look at this year and see that Canucks were the real definite winners ;)
Posted Image

#22 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

POPULAR

The pessimism in this topic is sickening. Show a bit of support for the new prospects and for the Canucks. A lot of you goofs seem to think you have the gift of foresight or something.
Posted Image

#23 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

POPULAR

The pessimism in this topic is sickening. Show a bit of support for the new prospects and for the Canucks. A lot of you goofs seem to think you have the gift of foresight or something.

Agreed and I don't even see where it's coming from. What information do we have to fault someone like Labate on? I don't know about all of you but I've found it very hard to catch any of his games this year and we all know that stats only say so much. The fact that no one has stuck up for Rodin either confuses me. I was really impressed with him in the games I watched by the end of the season. The kid has skills AND is a defensively sound player. How are we not excited about this prospect?
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#24 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Agreed and I don't even see where it's coming from. What information do we have to fault someone like Labate on? I don't know about all of you but I've found it very hard to catch any of his games this year and we all know that stats only say so much. The fact that no one has stuck up for Rodin either confuses me. I was really impressed with him in the games I watched by the end of the season. The kid has skills AND is a defensively sound player. How are we not excited about this prospect?

Yup, with LaBate, in the games I saw him play, my only knock on him was that he wasn't physical enough, especially considering he was easily the tallest guy in each game. Other than that, he was fast, made good defensive plays, and has a wicked wrister.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#25 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Rodin has been a huge disspointment and is most likely a future SEL player with Gillis wanting size for the team. its too early to say Labate is a good pick. Also, Schroeder did not turn out to be the offesive powerhouse steal who thought we got at the draft when he fell to us.

#26 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

POPULAR

Rodin has been a huge disspointment and is most likely a future SEL player with Gillis wanting size for the team. its too early to say Labate is a good pick. Also, Schroeder did not turn out to be the offesive powerhouse steal who thought we got at the draft when he fell to us.

Lol! Huge disappointment?

Sry but he just finished his first NA season and spent most of it with a shoulder problem. Not sure how that is a disappointment.

#27 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Lol! Huge disappointment?

Sry but he just finished his first NA season and spent most of it with a shoulder problem. Not sure how that is a disappointment.

So in what way did he wow you? You do realize his ELC ends in next season and he is most likely not going to be ready.

#28 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

So in what way did he wow you? You do realize his ELC ends in next season and he is most likely not going to be ready.

He didnt wow me but he made steady improvement last season, especially in the second half of the season.

Lots of prospects dont make the NHL during their ELC especially a lot of second round European players because they spent there first year of te ELC usually playing in Europe, then come over and adjust to the NA game and then make big improvements in their 3rd year.

Rodin is only turning 22 in November. He's not even close to his prime yet or finished developing.

#29 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Word.

For you guys with your magic crystal balls, gtfo lol.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#30 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

The five bolded players will attend a US college program so they will not be attending prospects tournament or training camp. Also, Grenier is in Austria, so not sure if he'll be attending.

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Mallet - Gaunce - Rodin
Archibald - Friesen - Anthony
Rai - Schneider - Tochkin (or FAs or Camp Invites - anywhere on this line)

Connauton - Corrado
Sauve - Polasek
Andersson - FAs or Camp Invite

Cannata
Honzik
FAs or Camp Invite

That's what I think our lineup will look like. We can definitely take Edmonton on this year IMO - our center depth is finally looking decent with Schroeder, Gaunce and Friesen down the middle.

Also, I wonder if Kassian will attend - probably not - same with Tanev. And what is the eligibility for playing in this tournament? Schroeder and Sweatt have played in a couple now, I think ...

Don't know why you guys are making a roster for a tournament that isnt happening.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.