The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I don't think he's necessarily trying to compare Mallet and MacKinnon, rather he's emphasizing how significant a feat it is to score 5 goals in a game in junior.

That's great to hear. He really had offensive upside in the Q. 5 goal games are a big deal in the Q and don't just happen by accident. Mackinnon did it as well but Crosby couldn't (both Mallet and Crosby played for the Oceanic). His 2nd year QMJHL numbers look quite similar to what MacKinnon is on pace for as well. MacKinnon will not have played quite as many games but then Mallet spent a lot of time in the box because he could fight too. Definitely a "flashes of brilliance" kind of guy. Easily worth a 2nd pick.

Lots of comparisons to me, but thats only part of how rediculous that post was

That's great to hear. He really had offensive upside in the Q. 5 goal games are a big deal in the Q and don't just happen by accident. Mackinnon did it as well but Crosby couldn't (both Mallet and Crosby played for the Oceanic). His 2nd year QMJHL numbers look quite similar to what MacKinnon is on pace for as well. MacKinnon will not have played quite as many games but then Mallet spent a lot of time in the box because he could fight too. Definitely a "flashes of brilliance" kind of guy. Easily worth a 2nd pick.

When you're talking about hockey players like Crosby, MacKinnon, and Mallet, you're looking at a breed that only comes around every so often.

Mallet is Gillis trying to be different. How is he anything different than Archibald? Who throws a second round pick on an overage player who by far had his best season ever? Easily would have slipped way down. Could have signed him prior to the draft even.

I see more upside for Archibald without the added pressure of being a second round pick.

Mallet is Gillis trying to be different. How is he anything different than Archibald? Who throws a second round pick on an overage player who by far had his best season ever? Easily would have slipped way down. Could have signed him prior to the draft even.

I see more upside for Archibald without the added pressure of being a second round pick.

Gillis is a hipster GM. The Mallet pick was so not mainstream.

But great comparison. Both players were ranked in the fourth round. We are lucky to have gotten Archibald for free, I am surprised he didn't get picked. Even his rookie year in the OHL he scored 25 goals in 68 games.

Mallet and Archibald are two different players. Mallet skates well and is physical. Volpatti's NHL opportunity came off of 2 goals in 53 AHL games. Archibald's lack of food speed might inhibit him from making the NHL as a bottom 6 player.

Gotta think Mallet's getting called up now. Lets hope this recent offence translates into something decent at the AHL level

Yea, with Schroeder and Kassian likely gone from the Wolves, Mallet should have a good shot at being on the second line.

They're gonna need all the help they can get.

Probably see something like:

Sweatt Ebbett Haydar

Archibald Mallet Rodin

Sterling Longpre Davies

Add Grenier to the picture now. Would love to see him and Mallet play together. Maybe Mallet can rub off on Grenier and get him to play a little grittier.

Sweatt Ebbett Haydar

Archibald Mallet Grenier (Good size, good skating)

Rodin Longpre Sterling

I can't believe you are comparing Mackinnon, a possible number 1 pick, with Mallet, an ECHL'er who was pointless in the AHL

Yes, because saying Mallet accomplished something that a potential #1 pick has accomplished is like saying they are EXACTLY THE SAME. You are seriously deficient.

Add Grenier to the picture now. Would love to see him and Mallet play together. Maybe Mallet can rub off on Grenier and get him to play a little grittier.

Sweatt Ebbett Haydar

Rodin Longpre Sterling

I really, really hope that happens. That would be an awesome line with big boys that can hit and score.

Yes, because saying Mallet accomplished something that a potential #1 pick has accomplished is like saying they are EXACTLY THE SAME. You are seriously deficient.

Where did I say exactly the same thing? I just found it rediculous that there is anything to compare between them. One is a 17 year old phenom, one is a guy who only put up points one year in junior as a 19 year old, then couldn't score till he got sent down to the ECHL. So what that he scored 5 goals in a game once, its called an anomaly

Where did I say exactly the same thing? I just found it rediculous that there is anything to compare between them. One is a 17 year old phenom, one is a guy who only put up points one year in junior as a 19 year old, then couldn't score till he got sent down to the ECHL. So what that he scored 5 goals in a game once, its called an anomaly

Dude, learn to spell ridiculous. Ridiculous is thinking that a 5 goal game is an anomaly. He put up over 80 points that season.

Dude, learn to spell ridiculous. Ridiculous is thinking that a 5 goal game is an anomaly. He put up over 80 points that season.

19 the season before, and 19 the season before that, how impressive.

Really, what shows me how valuable of a second round pick he was is the 0 points, -4 rating in 13 AHL games, stud

19 the season before, and 19 the season before that, how impressive.

Really, what shows me how valuable of a second round pick he was is the 0 points, -4 rating in 13 AHL games, stud

Mallet's scoring problems have been easily diagnosed which is why he was picked. He was played as a 3rd or 4th liner grinding, checking and fighting for his first years in the Q. Then he got on the top six because someone realized he had talent and he put up 80+ points (and another 25 in 21 playoff games including 10 goals).

Then he gets a chance in the A and Arniel plays him on the 4th line. He can hit and fight and did both against the heat but got almost no time on the ice despite his 13 GP. The only guy who spent more minutes on the bench than Mallet was Arniel. Plus if you've been watching the Wolves at all this year, you'd be taking their production with a grain of salt given the botch job Arniel has done on that team. Arniel wouldn't have the coaching sense to play the Sedins together.

So Mallet goes down to the ECHL but he gets played as 4th liner for the first few games. Then he scores a goal and it's not garbage so they move him up and suddenly, he starts scoring again. Since then he's been going at a point a game and is 3rd for +/- on the team.

I'm sure you're getting the picture here. Mallet's production only suffers when he gets low minutes on checking lines. He's a top 6 power forward who has been forced to play as a grinder. His ceiling is very high but even if he doesn't reach it, he'll still be useful with his ability to fight and make big hits.

He was playing on the 4th Line...

Sweatt Ebbett Haydar

Rodin Longpre Sterling

I would like to see Grenier come over and Mallet get better opportunites but I doubt Rodin and Sterling (Who I believe is leading the team in points) are on the 3rd line. I think the Archie/Mallet/Grenier line would be the third line honestly. My line-up:

Sterling - Ebbett - Haydar (I think they are currently together and will be counted on to provide key offence)

Rodin - Longpre - Archibald (Can finally see Rodin in a T6 role, Archie has played well enough to stay in the T6)

Sweatt - Mallet - Grenier (Sweatt is the victim of Archie's play, but this should still be a nice 3rd Line)

The Canucks were lacking a 3rd round pick, which is where they probably would have taken him if they had one.

I would like to see Grenier come over and Mallet get better opportunites but I doubt Rodin and Sterling (Who I believe is leading the team in points) are on the 3rd line. I think the Archie/Mallet/Grenier line would be the third line honestly. My line-up:

Sterling - Ebbett - Haydar (I think they are currently together and will be counted on to provide key offence)

Rodin - Longpre - Archibald (Can finally see Rodin in a T6 role, Archie has played well enough to stay in the T6)

Sweatt - Mallet - Grenier (Sweatt is the victim of Archie's play, but this should still be a nice 3rd Line)

Long-term I expect Schroeder to stick with the Canucks if Kesler's still out, while Ebbett gets sent back down, so I can agree with the 1st line - the Mighty Midgets. I'd probably switch Archibald over with Rodin as he only plays LW, whereas Rodin can play both.

Would also like to see that 3rd line. Gives Sweatt some much-needed size to work with.

Mallet's scoring problems have been easily diagnosed which is why he was picked. He was played as a 3rd or 4th liner grinding, checking and fighting for his first years in the Q. Then he got on the top six because someone realized he had talent and he put up 80+ points (and another 25 in 21 playoff games including 10 goals).

Then he gets a chance in the A and Arniel plays him on the 4th line. He can hit and fight and did both against the heat but got almost no time on the ice despite his 13 GP. The only guy who spent more minutes on the bench than Mallet was Arniel. Plus if you've been watching the Wolves at all this year, you'd be taking their production with a grain of salt given the botch job Arniel has done on that team. Arniel wouldn't have the coaching sense to play the Sedins together.

So Mallet goes down to the ECHL but he gets played as 4th liner for the first few games. Then he scores a goal and it's not garbage so they move him up and suddenly, he starts scoring again. Since then he's been going at a point a game and is 3rd for +/- on the team.

I'm sure you're getting the picture here. Mallet's production only suffers when he gets low minutes on checking lines. He's a top 6 power forward who has been forced to play as a grinder. His ceiling is very high but even if he doesn't reach it, he'll still be useful with his ability to fight and make big hits.

+1. Well said!

Archived