The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

How many times did you see Rypien's teammates stand aside so Rypien could take on a guy 20 to 35 pounds heavier than him?

Sad but true. What Rick Rypien went through on a physical level would have been very tough. Lost respect for some of those that did not step in at times.

I was really excited when we got this guy.

Like a bigger Burrows minus the antics.

Maybe a Brouwer.

I don't think he'll develop an offensive upside similar to Burrows or Brouwer...I just don't see it.

His defensive game has been great though in AHL so far and I'm excited to see if he can keep improving.

Yes I did, are you aware how often he fights.........did you look at/listen to his video. I "suspected" on the various scouting reports and indeed the comments of our own organisation that he is a better player than he is given credit for on here, where most seem to see him for his fighting only..........I agree that no one "who matters" may see him primarily as a fighter, however again you seem incapable of understanding what I had written...........I said the danger was he would see fighting as a means to jump up the queue and if he thinks that and is determined to make it then it may not matter how he is seen by others...........and I'm not even factoring in the hysteria of fans, especially on here for a player "seen" as a fighter

I summed up.

"It is up to the Wolves management to guide and develop his hockey and tone down his fighting."

I stand by that.

He doesn't need to be fighting just now, he needs to be learning, watching and concentrating on his game. A bad concussion now at his age might end his hopes of an NHL career. The boy he fought was smaller than him and yet given some luck might have landed at least 2 haymakers on Mallet.............his next opponent, especially in this league, may be a lot bigger and more accurate.

I am not saying he shouldn't defend himself but I hope for the time being at least, that is the extent of his pugilism.

I agree with this. It's possible he already had a concussion from last game too, unfortunately. He didn't play in today's game.

• 4 weeks later...

Mallet has been assigned to Kalamazoo:

http://www.chicagowolves.com/news/releases/item/3382-mallet-sent-to-kalamazoo

The Vancouver Canucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet (muh-LAY) from the Chicago Wolves to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings.

The 20-year-old forward has skated in 13 games with the Wolves this season during his professional debut, accruing seven penalty minutes.

The Amqui, Quebec, native posted career-highs with 34 goals, 47 assists, 81 points, and 132 penalty minutes in 68 QMJHL games with Rimouski Oceanic last season. He ranked first on Rimouski with 34 goals and 132 penalty minutes and second on the squad with 47 assists and 81 points.

The Vancouver Canucks second-round draft choice, 57th overall, in the 2012 National Hockey League Entry draft also shared first on Rimouski and seventh in the league with 25 points (10G, 15A) in 21 postseason matchups in Oceanic’s run to the QMJHL Finals last year.

Overall, MALLET accumulated 54 goals, 66 assists, 120 points, and 303 penalty minutes in 203 career QMJHL games with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and Rimouski Oceanic spanning four seasons (2008-12).

Hopefully he will get some playing time down there - and then will be back in the AHL when the lock-out is over.

honestly, I'd rather have Mallet over Desbiens on any given night

The last Wolves game I seen I thought Mallet was one of the best forwards. He made no mistakes and threw some big hits as well as commanding the corners and coming away with the puck. Kassian scored that game but I thought Mallet looked better and more engaged in the game.

honestly, I'd rather have Mallet over Desbiens on any given night

Mallet is a far better player than Desbiens, over the last couple years it's become obvious that Desbiens has gotten worse. Hopefully Mallet has good production in the ECHL, and hopefully we will see him soon on the Wolves again.

Archived