The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I didn't know about the above players either but I felt convinced that Mallet wasn't the best pick at that particular spot.

That being said, I also wasn't aware of the bolded which you just mentioned.

Sometimes it is really tempting/easier to make 'outsider observations', like I did, and you're right - it's far too early to make judgements. From the little I've heard of Mallet, it seems he has "character", which before reading your post, I thought, at the time, was a flimsy reason for going 'off-the-board' for. I hope he does well though, genuinely and becomes someone like Burrows who is a major part of this team.

It's understandable if one hasn't watched him play on the Wolves earlier this season. But the impression that I got from watching him play was that he is a smart player with good hockey IQ, and that's what gives me confidence that he'll turn out to be a good pro.

I know there's the history of us doing poorly in the Q but I think his overall combination of attributes - quite a few of them too - will allow him to succeed where other draft picks have failed before. Likewise with Grenier, I was skeptical of the pick but now it's looking like he has some potential too, so I'll be patient with Gillis' drafting and give them time.

Btw yeah, he really does seem like he could be another Burrows, except bigger and tougher to boot.

It's understandable if one hasn't watched him play on the Wolves earlier this season. But the impression that I got from watching him play was that he is a smart player with good hockey IQ, and that's what gives me confidence that he'll turn out to be a good pro.

I know there's the history of us doing poorly in the Q but I think his overall combination of attributes - quite a few of them too - will allow him to succeed where other draft picks have failed before. Likewise with Grenier, I was skeptical of the pick but now it's looking like he has some potential too, so I'll be patient with Gillis' drafting and give them time.

Btw yeah, he really does seem like he could be another Burrows, except bigger and tougher to boot.

Agreed.

I think a Lappierre comparison isn't too far off either. Bottom 6 centre with grit, and some potential to chip in offensively.

22 points in his last 20 games.

That's good to see. I was worried when he was playing for the Wolves that his offensive game was lacking. But he seems to have found it.

I didn't think his offence would translate to pro that quickly. The Q is notorious for being a high-scoring league and I wasn't sure if that offensive ability would be as profound once hitting pro. But after seeing him on the Wolves you realize he's a smart guy with some skill, so it's good to see it turn into production.

With Andrew Gordon - who's been playing center lately - getting injured, it's possible he could get called up. They're short on C's right now too.

22 points in his last 20 games.

That's good to see. I was worried when he was playing for the Wolves that his offensive game was lacking. But he seems to have found it.

I didn't think his offence would translate to pro that quickly. The Q is notorious for being a high-scoring league and I wasn't sure if that offensive ability would be as profound once hitting pro. But after seeing him on the Wolves you realize he's a smart guy with some skill, so it's good to see it turn into production.

With Andrew Gordon - who's been playing center lately - getting injured, it's possible he could get called up. They're short on C's right now too.

It's actually 20pts (8g 12a) in his last 22gp, and 9g 13a 22pts in his last 26gp, but that's basically the same thing so whatever.

Very solid start to what was supposed to be a project player according to everyone (general consensus among fans & media) except for those in the know (NHL circles).

Some comments from coach Bootland on his play from a little while back. I think it rings pretty well true now:

“He’s still trying to find his way as a pro, but I think once he finds his way he’s going to provide some grit, some flash with his speed and he’ll play with a little bit of an edge to his game,” Bootland said. “He does play the body pretty hard.

“I seen him six days up there in the American League (Chicago Wolves) camp and he’s very competitive, but just very young. He’s got to gain some confidence in his game, and once that comes, you see flashes, you seen him first on the forecheck a couple times and you seen him on 2-on-1’s creating come opportunities.”

More somewhat recent comments by the coach on Mallet:

“I just start to play simple and just make the simple play: go to the net, shoot at the net,” the French Canadian said. “You never know what’s going to happen.”

Said Bootland: “I think confidence is a huge thing for a young guy. (Mallet) plays with a little bit of an edge in his game. Now, we haven’t seen a ton of that yet, but there is that in his game.

He has the ability to put the puck in the net and you can see his confidence is getting higher and higher and he wants the puck more often. When he wants the puck and when he competes for the puck, he’s pretty strong. He protects the puck very, very well. He’s starting to contribute.”

I like this guy and think he will develop into a good player. Like others, he will take some time to get his game together. I hope he stays as a C -much more valuable position and he can always switch if it doesn't work out. He's got a ways to go, but I think he'll be a keeper.

Archived