The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

Jury is out for 3 years. Look at Alex Burrows. Played quite a bit in the ECHL and didn't make a dent till he was 26. Give the kid some time before you start judging him a bust. Many considered Schroeder a bust till he got called up this year.

Jury is out for 3 years. Look at Alex Burrows. Played quite a bit in the ECHL and didn't make a dent till he was 26. Give the kid some time before you start judging him a bust. Many considered Schroeder a bust till he got called up this year.

Burrows is an anomaly. The ECHL is known as a prospect graveyard for skaters. Some goalies come out from it, but if a guy can't find a spot out of 13 forwards or 7 defenders in the AHL, his NHL upside has to be questioned

Burrows is an anomaly. The ECHL is known as a prospect graveyard for skaters. Some goalies come out from it, but if a guy can't find a spot out of 13 forwards or 7 defenders in the AHL, his NHL upside has to be questioned

You don't know crap. So many examples of players making the NHL 25+. He's not worth giving up on for a LONG time.

http://echl.com/URLr...rosters-p173246

EDIT: Ever crossed your mind Gillis is sending him to the ECHL to play top line minutes rather than play 6 minutes for the wolves? He's good enough to make the team but not good enough to supplant there top 3 centers.

You don't know crap. So many examples of players making the NHL 25+. He's not worth giving up on for a LONG time.

EDIT: Ever crossed your mind Gillis is sending him to the ECHL to play top line minutes rather than play 6 minutes for the wolves? He's good enough to make the team but not good enough to supplant there top 3 centers.

Well if we want an assistant coach that's a good list, otherwise its filled with marginal players for the most part.

If Mallet is only good enough to play 6 minutes like you say, why was he chosen with a 2nd round pick when plenty of skilled players were left? And if he wasn't good enough to supplant those top 3 guys, why sign him to a pro contract when he could've stayed in the Q for another year?

Well if we want an assistant coach that's a good list, otherwise its filled with marginal players for the most part.

If Mallet is only good enough to play 6 minutes like you say, why was he chosen with a 2nd round pick when plenty of skilled players were left? And if he wasn't good enough to supplant those top 3 guys, why sign him to a pro contract when he could've stayed in the Q for another year?

Feel like that is a fairly straight forward question... but I'll help your slow mind. They'd rather him play against men then boys? Wouldn't you rather have Jensen play in the ECHL than the OHL once he was drafted??

Feel like that is a fairly straight forward question... but I'll help your slow mind. They'd rather him play against men then boys? Wouldn't you rather have Jensen play in the ECHL than the OHL once he was drafted??

Jensen wasn't eligible to go to the ECHL or AHL, hence why he went overseas. Mallet just isn't good enough, how hard is that to understand? He's a waste of a 2nd round pick

I think Mallet was a decent pick, but Adam Pelech would've been a nice choice to, and I'm not just saying that because he's related to MG

Islanders took him early in the second round. He was not available at the time of the mallet pick.

Jensen wasn't eligible to go to the ECHL or AHL, hence why he went overseas. Mallet just isn't good enough, how hard is that to understand? He's a waste of a 2nd round pick

He's barely played one season as a pro and you're labeling him a bust? Because he hasn't produced at the AHL level in his first season or because he plays in the ECHL?

Here's a list of current nhl skaters that are from the echl: David desharnais, mark streit, Michael Ryder, rich peverly, Dan giradi, Russian fedotenko, Cory conacher, Andrew brunette, francois beauchmin, Joe corporate and the anomaly Alex burrows. Is that a list of players with a bunch of scrubs? Granted these are only a list of guys who made it but writing a guy off in his first season is ridiculous. If it's 3 or 4 years and he's still in the echl then yeah, there are points to back up your claim.

You obviously don't understand my point. The ECHL is a better league than the Q hence they signed him to a contract so he didn't have to play there.

Because our next pick was a 5th round pick, no chance he would have been available. And we really liked him.

I also love how you are calling him a bust because he is playing top minutes in the ECHL rather than limited minutes with the Wolves.

It would be nice to see you atleast give him a fair shake, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Ok, I'm going to put this pic in spoiler tag because it's a little bit gruesome. Apparently Mallet got cut with a skateblade to the chin. It's doesn't look to be anything other than cosmetic (versus life threatening or anything that would have long term recovery issues) but it's still very nasty.

Here's the tweet I got it from (from Grenier's twitter):

BFmCWhdCMAAW5kL.jpg

Ok, I'm going to put this pic in spoiler tag because it's a little bit gruesome. Apparently Mallet got cut with a skateblade to the chin. It's doesn't look to be anything other than cosmetic (versus life threatening or anything that would have long term recovery issues) but it's still very nasty.

Here's the tweet I got it from (from Grenier's twitter):

BFmCWhdCMAAW5kL.jpg

Wow, that's an ugly gash. Do you know if that was from today's game?

(Kalamazoo got crushed 9-2, but Mallet did manage to score a goal.)

Wow, that's an ugly gash. Do you know if that was from today's game?

(Kalamazoo got crushed 9-2, but Mallet did manage to score a goal.)

There's nothing in the writeup about it, but the tweet was from today and it looks like he has a St Paddy's themed jersey on. I guess we'll find out more soon, and I sent a tweet to Grenier and Mallet asking what's up.

WE shall all look back some day and "quote" you, Mr. Negative .. :)

Oh wow that's bad. It looks like its just a photoshopped black line (I know it's not, it's that gruesome)

I'm not sure I would want to see it with better lighting/photography/detail. Luckily it wasn't worse though.

This. Exactly this. You want him playing a lot to develop, not wasting away getting 6 or 7 minutes on the 4th line. Leave that role for scrubs.

Knowing what we all know now, would you take Burrows with a 1st round pick in the 1999 draft? I would.

Archived